Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matted Fur

+6
Sparky
jolovesbunnies
marleyNfriends
KatieB
Tuckerbunnies
BellaHolly11
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Matted Fur - Page 2 Empty Re: Matted Fur

Post by Sparky Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Just a note - we find buns prefer hop-ups to ramps. Most ramps need to be too steep and require a large hole in the hutch floor. A hop-up step or two usually works better - we have modified our hutches from ramps to steps. The other advantage is that the buns like sitting on or under the steps too Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaHolly11 Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Yeah, I can't a new cage. My parents don't think my hutch is too small and they think it is even big. That is that in my house and a run or addition to the hutch is not happening even if I build it because they have to buy the ****. I don't have the money, they do.

Anyways, to get back on topic, I brushed Sophie thoroughly today and she is a bit better but the mats are going to take a while.
Another strange thing is only when I am gently brushing her, carrying her, petting her, and just plain interacting with her, she is more aggressive to me then anyone in my family. I spend the most time with her but she kicks me, stratches me (I have a few scars), and even urinates on me. She loves my mom and even my clumsy brother. I am always so gentle, even my family and my friends think so but she almost hates me... What should I do?

BellaHolly11
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-11-21

http://watershipdownrp.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Is there any way you can scrounge materials for free - do they have Freecycle in the US? - and build what you need?

This is going to sound harsh but if you don't do something to improve her accommodation, she will be a very bored and unhappy rabbit, destined for both health and emotional problems. Your parents are just wrong. Utterly, utterly wrong and it takes very little research on the internet to prove that.

That's a really sad situation and I feel very sorry for Sophie Crying or Very sad

ETA - lock your parents in their bathroom for the weekend, then see if they think that is enough space No
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaHolly11 Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Yes, I know but this is what I have to compare this to. My cousin have almost this rabbit breeding facility thingy and he has hutches that are much smaller then mine. About half of mine and he rarely takes them out to the outside but he cares for them and plays with them. Occasionally, he takes his does and goes to an empty stall and let's them out to play for a but but takes them out. They are all very healthy and I would consider them even happy despite their smaller homes. I take my rabbit out once a week to be oitside for an hour and just eat grass and get a thorough brushing while I clean her cage too.

It a very great comparison from locking my parents in a bathroom to having rabbit locked in a hutch where she has food, water and spoils such as hay and clover. If I were to be shrunk down to that size, and oblivious to larger homes and such, I never would know the difference and probably be just as happy or even happier being stress free.

BellaHolly11
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Sparky wrote:Is there any way you can scrounge materials for free - do they have Freecycle in the US? - and build what you need?

This is going to sound harsh but if you don't do something to improve her accommodation, she will be a very bored and unhappy rabbit, destined for both health and emotional problems. Your parents are just wrong. Utterly, utterly wrong and it takes very little research on the internet to prove that.

That's a really sad situation and I feel very sorry for Sophie Crying or Very sad

ETA - lock your parents in their bathroom for the weekend, then see if they think that is enough space No

I agree with this and think it's sad as her hutch is certainly not big enough and I also feel very sorry for Sophie Crying or Very sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaHolly11 Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:14 pm

*Sigh*
Maybe I should just sell her. I seems like life is against me having a rabbit despite how much I wanted to care for one. I guess money can buy you happiness...

BellaHolly11
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 pm

BellaHolly11 wrote:Yeah, I can't a new cage. My parents don't think my hutch is too small and they think it is even big. That is that in my house and a run or addition to the hutch is not happening even if I build it because they have to buy the ****. I don't have the money, they do.

Anyways, to get back on topic, I brushed Sophie thoroughly today and she is a bit better but the mats are going to take a while.
Another strange thing is only when I am gently brushing her, carrying her, petting her, and just plain interacting with her, she is more aggressive to me then anyone in my family. I spend the most time with her but she kicks me, stratches me (I have a few scars), and even urinates on me. She loves my mom and even my clumsy brother. I am always so gentle, even my family and my friends think so but she almost hates me... What should I do?

Just check that her skin is not read and sore from brushing her as it can hurt them. We have an Angora and her coat is horrendous to brush and we can only brush her for so long as her skin get's red and it start's to get her down and so we rest her . Her skin may be tender and that's why she is a little annoyed with you at the moment plus she may be saying in the only way she nows 'Please I want more space so I can be a bunny' Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:22 pm

BellaHolly11 wrote:*Sigh*
Maybe I should just sell her. I seems like life is against me having a rabbit despite how much I wanted to care for one. I guess money can buy you happiness...

I wish I lived nearer to you I would get my Husband to make Sophia a big hutch for you and make a run for her to but sadly I'm miles away. Can you take a photo of her hutch and post it on the forum and maybe we can come up with some more ideas to make it bigger for her, I'm sure you don't want to sell her do you Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaHolly11 Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:29 pm

(Oops! Did I say a swear word? Oh my gosh! I am terribly sorry about that! My dang spell check must be trying to correct the word hutch! I am so sorry! DX)

Well, I never thought about checking her skin but when I did a few minutes ago, it was soft pink. Probably had some time to heal if it was red but I was trying to be as careful as I could.
Anyways, I guess my parents agree that having a rabbit might be too much responsibily for me on top of horses. Maybe only one animal at a time is ideal so I should sell her. I am making some arrangements right now to a local feed store that buys rabbits.
Yet, I feel her hutch is perfect size and I have treated her fair but I guess in the UK it isn't acceptable. I would never be able to let myself live in the animal control or whatever came to my house and took one of my pets.
----
Well, I posted a picture on the second page in a spoiler of her, her hutch, and more detailed pictures of the hutch.
I hate to get rid of my pets but if it is for the best of them, I don't mind. Yet I will hate myself for being irrisposible.
Thank you so much. I wished I lived closer to everyone too but I much compromise my faults and find a solution. If selling her is the bet option, then I shall accept that.

BellaHolly11
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:35 pm

I did notice the swear filter got you Laughing It happens to us all Laughing

Before you give up all hope of keeping Sophie, could you try showing your parents some literature on the Internet that highlights the needs of a bunny? We could provide you with links to show them?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:36 pm

BellaHolly11 wrote:(Oops! Did I say a swear word? Oh my gosh! I am terribly sorry about that! My dang spell check must be trying to correct the word hutch! I am so sorry! DX)

Well, I never thought about checking her skin but when I did a few minutes ago, it was soft pink. Probably had some time to heal if it was red but I was trying to be as careful as I could.
Anyways, I guess my parents agree that having a rabbit might be too much responsibily for me on top of horses. Maybe only one animal at a time is ideal so I should sell her. I am making some arrangements right now to a local feed store that buys rabbits.
Yet, I feel her hutch is perfect size and I have treated her fair but I guess in the UK it isn't acceptable. I would never be able to let myself live in the animal control or whatever came to my house and took one of my pets.
----
Well, I posted a picture on the second page in a spoiler of her, her hutch, and more detailed pictures of the hutch.
I hate to get rid of my pets but if it is for the best of them, I don't mind. Yet I will hate myself for being irrisposible.
Thank you so much. I wished I lived closer to everyone too but I much compromise my faults and find a solution. If selling her is the bet option, then I shall accept that.

I found your photo's and Sophie is gorgeous she look's like a Cashmere lop, Oh I am sat here nearly in tears is there no way at all you could keep her I mean what will become of her if you sell her to a local feed store will she find a nice home , if you must get rid of her could you not take her to a rescue where they will make sure she finds a good home Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:00 am

Here is link the the U.K.s Rabbit Welfare Association guide to rabbit keeping.

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAbrochuremaster.pdf

It give all the basic advice about housing, feeding and general care that you need to understand the needs of rabbits. The Rabbit welfare association actually came into being after having inspiration from the house rabbit association in the USA. So these ideas about rabbit welfare are not about cultural norms in our country they are recognised world wide. You may feel that your cousin's rabbits are health but I suspect that if one of us her eon the forum were to see them we would find problems. Because rabbits kept in small spaces with little access to space develop problems. How long do his rabbits live for? 10 years is the average life span for a well cared for rabbit. I am not having a go, I am just trying to explain why we feel so strongly about how rabbits are cared for.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:25 am

I would hate to think of her going somewhere where someone could take her that doesn't care as much as you do. Perhaps give your parents some more time. I would much rather she was with you rather than somewhere else possibly in an even smaller hutch with someone who didn't care.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Sophie is adorable! You built a nice but way too small hutch. With your skills you could add on to the hutch you have already built. It wouldn't be difficult. An to answer an above question: yes we have freecycle!

It is possible that your family may not be allergic to Sophie. Hubby and I are horribly allergic to dogs, cats, birds, horses, rats, gerbils, hamsters BUT NOT RABBITS! We don't know why but are grateful!

You speak of your cousin and his set up for his rabbits. I've seen that type of breeder set up here in the USA and in the UK they would be visited by animal welfare. Here in the USA it is different. If you could pm or email me the state and possibly the town where you live i might be able to help you find resources more local to you. Also, Craig's List sometimes has hutches and/or runs for free or very cheap.

A word about lumber....don't use any that has been treated chemically. That includes fiberboard!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:26 pm

I wish I could help love and yes, money does definately bring happiness!!! I so wish you could keep her but if not I hope she finds a good home.

Lots of love

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Hello there, I have a furball too. This is Herbie.

Matted Fur - Page 2 Herbie

That is a picture of Herbie at his furriest. During the summer I cut his fur much shorter all over and I keep the fur on his face and around his eyes short all year round. I find I don't need to brush him regularly - I just check that there is no hay caught in his fur as that causes knots and make sure the fur around his bottom is kept short. Herbie and his partner Hollie seem to keep his fur tangle free most of the time. If you are able you might want to think about using straw on top of or instead of the wood shavings in Sophie's hutch - the shavings could get stuck into her fur and cause knots.

Are you able to print off and show your parents the advice that has been given to you about rabbit care and needs. Sophie really does need more space to be able to be a happy bunny. Unfortunately a lot of people think that all a rabbit needs is a small hutch because they don't do anything. But they don't do anything because they have never been given the space or opportunity to behave as a bunny should.

When I was a child, about 40 years or so ago I had three bunnies one after another. I look back and could cry over the care they were given. Too small a hutch, the wrong food, no company Sad But at the time there was not the understanding or information available that there is today about what a rabbit needs. I never once saw the rabbits from my childhood binky - a binky is where a rabbit runs and leaps and twists in the air because they are happy. I try to do everything I can to help make my current six bunnies happy. Bunnies are wonderful characters once they are allowed to live in lots of space and with lots of freedom.

I hope if you can show your parents all the advice you have been given they will help you to improve things for Sophie xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:42 pm

What is the current situation with Sophie now? Have your parents showed any signs of changing their minds, or maybe you've found a solution to her housing arrangements?

As has already been said, what may appear a "good" set-up for a rabbit often is not. Sophie will have real trouble developing into a happy, healthy rabbit if she remains in the same small set-up. We're not trying to be mean, and you obviously care about your bunny, but something really needs to be done.

I do so hope you don't have to sell her and can find a solution. Please keep us updated Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Let us know how you get on love.

Hugs

Jo xx