Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sore hocks + flooring help please

2 posters

Go down

Sore hocks + flooring help please Empty Sore hocks + flooring help please

Post by SarahJane Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:38 pm

right, peanut has had sore hocks for ages, and i just checked them, and they are scabby and red, have mixed aloe vera plus sudocream for them, and dabbed some on.

checked domino over before i popped him in the run and now HE has sore hocks awell.

im thinking its prob flared up bcus of the bonding, so lots of stamping about??

anyway, they are moving into the outhouse for the foreseeable future, until my dad makes their new home for the, but he wants to do it in stages, so they are moving into the room where peanut was while he was ill, so they have enough room to live and play without dad feeling under pressure to hurry up with the shed or workshop conversion.

but....my real question is..the flooring is stone, and we did have carpet in there, but Jane said that that is actually bad for hocks, and it was a nightmare for sweeping up hay...so i thought.. okay ill use lino...but then thats going to be too hard?!?!

so what can i put on the floor to stop peanut and dominos sore hocks hurting them so much? my poor boys!!

i have bought 2 peices of vet bed of ebay but the sizes arent big enough for the whole room, but i am making 'soft areas' for them but its not enough really
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Sore hocks + flooring help please Empty Re: Sore hocks + flooring help please

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:30 pm

I would just put lots and lots of soft hay over the stone floor.
If that is not possible then I have found using Cotton Sheets over Vetbed useful as even Vetbed appears to cause some problems. But with a cotton covering it seems to be OK.

If lots of hay bedding is possible I'd go for that, just not sure if your parents would object to the outhouse floor being covered in hay Hmmm

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:26 pm

well we tried it with the boarders who stayed in there once, but they peed on it and it soaked through and even when we scrubbed the floor it still stunk, we couldnt get rid of the smell for days!!

they dont have a problem with hay being everywhere lol, but it was very smelly in there bcus it soaked thru to the floor. i suggested to my mum, putting underly underneath the lino, and then putting fleece blankets over the lino, so its soft, and the putting odd bits of vet bed around for extra comfort...

does that sound okay?

have checked his hock today and there is a red scab on it..im concerned about infection, but my vet just gives him baytril and it doesnt work. im worried its going to turn into like an abcess type thing and get all infected.

what do they normally do for sore hocks like peanuts. im so confused as to why he has them so bad
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:43 am

Well I always use Flamazine Cream for anyBun with a sore hock problem.
I have found it to be very good.

I think the floor covering you suggest sounds fine but as I said before a cotton sheet as the 'top layer' appears to work best and be the least abrasive on the hocks.

Sometimes sore hocks are a symptom of a skeletal problem such as arthritis in the lower spine and/or hips. Hind leg weakness also often results in sore hocks. Unfortunately once they occur they are really difficult to get to completely heal and its often a case of having to manage the condition longterm.

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:41 am

yeh i suppose, because you cant exactly tell a bun to 'rest up' lol can you?

hes not old though, hes only 2,and hes not fat, he doesnt have long claws, hes cleaned out every day...
its very odd!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:09 pm

Jack's-Jane wrote:Well I always use Flamazine Cream for anyBun with a sore hock problem.
I have found it to be very good.

I think the floor covering you suggest sounds fine but as I said before a cotton sheet as the 'top layer' appears to work best and be the least abrasive on the hocks.

Sometimes sore hocks are a symptom of a skeletal problem such as arthritis in the lower spine and/or hips. Hind leg weakness also often results in sore hocks. Unfortunately once they occur they are really difficult to get to completely heal and its often a case of having to manage the condition longterm.

Thanks for mentioning that Jane, I have been searching previous threads to see how they are caused but this makes sense actually as Beau's back legs were very weak when I got him and he would crawl rather than hop x

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down