Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Incisoral maloclussion....unsure of next actions

+2
ratface
Happy Hoppers
6 posters

Go down

Incisoral maloclussion....unsure of next actions Empty Incisoral maloclussion....unsure of next actions

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:53 pm

As you may recall Mackenzie has had problems with his incisors since we got him. Although they meet they wear unevenly and his lowers also splay. He also has low grade enamel on his bottom incisors which has been growing out with time and gicing way to good quality tooth.

On a recent dental check I discovered one of his lower incisors has snapped off just below the low grade enamel leaving the tooth no longer meeting the uppers. To top this off his upper incisors are so worn that they are only about 0.5mm off of the gumline and his peg teeth are actually longer than they are, so basically his teeth grow 80% lower and 20% upper rather than meeting 50/50.

The problem I now have is that one upper and one lower are no longer meeting and the snapped tooth has a rough edge. The bunny himself is still eating fine and has no obvious ulceration/dribbling etc etc. Should I have the snapped tooth burred off level, the one next to it cut to the same lenght to try and restore the growth balance between upper and lower incisors and should I have the peg teeth cut back?

Not really sure of our next step. Hmmm
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Incisoral maloclussion....unsure of next actions Empty Re: Incisoral maloclussion....unsure of next actions

Post by ratface Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Is removing them an option? I found even my boy with minor malloclussion of the incisors did so much better after removal - my vet agreed that mallocluded teeth weren't really of much use.
ratface
ratface
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Incisoral maloclussion....unsure of next actions Empty Re: Incisoral maloclussion....unsure of next actions

Post by Guest Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:07 pm

I am wondering what his molars are doing Hmmm

It may be better to have his Incisors removed as Incisor malocclusion often causes molar problems too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:10 pm

His teeth sound a bit like Chances... I would say that you could by all means give the level burring a go, however don't be suprised if it isn't successful. Chance just seems to have learnt to cope with his teeth. But every now and then he has to go back to the vets and have a dental. Sad Poor Mackenzie x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:23 pm

We know he suffers molar spurring too but at the moment they are not causing him obvious issues.

He has been turned down for removal a few months ago, especially because of the low grade enamel....vet was worried teeth would splinter during th procedure and make matters worse.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:25 pm

foxglove has had hers removed and you would never know. i cut her veg into strips but she still chews me, my clothes, bars etcc just like she still has her teeth. she had badly meeting teeth and one snapped etc. She also has to have her back teeth burred every 7 weeks.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:25 pm

oh just seen your post - i would prob get them burred down to same level and flat and see what happens from there.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:37 pm

We have the same problem with Fudge's incisors, removal isn't an option cos his teeth would just crumble and the actual tooth is needed to destroy the root bud. We've had to settle for regular trimming but I'm sure your vet would advise on the best option as each bun is different.

Deedee's teeth don't actually come to anything, they are just brown stumps which grow and break continually, her peg teeth get burred on a regular basis, although there was evidence of an infection around the root buds of her upper incisors, so she's on antibios in the meantime in case an abscess decides to appear Rolling Eyes
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyB Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:43 pm

I'd get him checked out by a vet just in case the tooth has broken off for a reason. Mackenzie's teeth sound similar to Dixie's...and when Dixie broke a lower incisor, it was due to infection. Luckily we caught it very early before it got into the bone, and a course of depocillin injections cleared it up nicely (touch wood) Very Happy

AmyB
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:52 pm

He's gonna have to go for a burr, just waiting for an appointment with Anita as she is the only vet who will do incisoral burring conscious at my surgery, so I will get him fully checked over.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down