Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worried and unsure U.D: He's at the bridge.

+17
NickieM
Josephine
coco
LilleJente
SarahP
Snowy
Honeybunny
Catsknickers
Kirsty&Lola
thumpersmum
Jay
Rosie Rabbit
racheld69
Sixer
SarahJane
jan
Happy Hoppers
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Worried and unsure U.D: He's at the bridge. Empty Worried and unsure U.D: He's at the bridge.

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun May 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Mack has been struggling to eat his dinner this evening, it's always cut very small so he can chew it on his molars alone and pull it into his mouth but he didn't run to the bowl in excitement like usual. I took him some small pieces and he selected a piece of cabbage from my hand and it's taken him over a minute to eat that one piece, a couple of times I thought he was choking on it and his mouth is full of saliva, tried to look with the otoscope and can't see a thing in there.

The abcess is a bit bigger and covers more of his mandible than it did, and the old abcess capsule on his throat is also a little larger. He hasn't attempted to eat anything else yet, just washed his face, and I am going to start him on painrelief now as I knew it would come to this eventually, just not when.

I'm no sure what to do about feeding him as this 'choking' action has me scared to let him feed unsupervised. I'm also wondering if something more sinister is going on inside his mouth but without knocking him out I can't see how we could tell. Hmmm

I'm not sure what to do with him now. Sad Sad

Last edited by Sooz on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Worried and unsure U.D: He's at the bridge. Empty Re: Worried and unsure U.D: He's at the bridge.

Post by jan Sun May 17, 2009 4:18 pm

oh no sending loads of <<<<vibes>>>> for u both.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Worried and unsure U.D: He's at the bridge. Empty Re: Worried and unsure U.D: He's at the bridge.

Post by SarahJane Sun May 17, 2009 4:20 pm

oh gosh. poor Mack Sad

I have no advice but i hope something can be done for him. Sad

x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun May 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Poor Mack.

I know you won't need telling that an otoscope doesn't always give a full picture of molar problems. I also know that it would be a natural reaction to think there maybe something sinister causing problems.

Is sedation an option to have a good look inside his mouth rather than an aneasthetic?

Loads of hugs, you must be so worried xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Sun May 17, 2009 6:29 pm

oh dear - doesn't sound good poor thing. maybe the pain relief will help things in the short term and get him eating tonight.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun May 17, 2009 7:26 pm

Sixer wrote:Poor Mack.

I know you won't need telling that an otoscope doesn't always give a full picture of molar problems. I also know that it would be a natural reaction to think there maybe something sinister causing problems.

Is sedation an option to have a good look inside his mouth rather than an aneasthetic?

Loads of hugs, you must be so worried xx

Sorry I didn't make that very clear, it's not that I can't see anything wrong it's that I literally can't see a thing because he is salivating so heavily. He has been consistantly playing with his mouth for a few days, everytime I look at him he is fiddling with it, and I tried to check it a few days ago too incase the abcess had opened up to drain orally but he was salivating too heavily then aswell.

He wouldn't tolerate a sedation any better than us just going hands on he is far too head shy now unfortunately. He did go on to eat some more tea before I left for work but I am now also noticeing his ceacal pellets are being left uneaten. Hissy
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun May 17, 2009 8:05 pm

What an awful time you're having with poor Mack. Sorry to hear things are so difficult. Can't say anything more useful I'm afraid, but am thinking of you. x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon May 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Sorry Sooz, vibes for you both Hugs I wish I could say something more useful too Sad
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon May 18, 2009 3:39 pm

He's eaten his breakfast OK today but still playing with his mouth a lot. I'm going to give him a few days on Metacam (once a day) and see how he goes with that before deciding on what the next step should be.

He won't be eating his greens unsupervised though ad I am scared he might choke on one. Sad
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Mon May 18, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm glad he's eaten something. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. Crying or Very sad
Sending massive vibes for you and Mack.

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 pm

oh no ive only just seen this. i have no advice but just wanted to send loads of vibes for Mack and big hugs for you
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue May 19, 2009 8:49 am

Sooz I am sorry to hear this. Have you mentioned it to Anita?
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:16 pm

Mack is booked in provisionally to be PTS at 6pm on Wednesday, he now has 3 active abcesses and one which has ballooned the last couple of days on his throat.

He isn't eating properly and is generally not himself at all unless on a high dose of Metacam. I am concerned it is impacting on his breathing. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:20 pm

oh no Sad

Im so sorry sooz, i really am. i hoped you would have more time with him. he is a very brave bunny
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Oh Sooz I'm so sorry it must be awful for you. You've done everything you possibly could for him we're sending lots of vibes for you both for the next few days

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:04 pm

so sorry to hear this.thoughts will be with you over the next few days.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:48 pm

oh honey, i'm so sorry. i know how heartbreaking this decision has been for you. and even though is doesnt feel like it right now, you've always put Mack's best interests before your own feelings and i think you are very brave. thinking of you and sending nosey rubs for Mack
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 pm

Kirsty&Lola wrote:oh honey, i'm so sorry. i know how heartbreaking this decision has been for you. and even though is doesnt feel like it right now, you've always put Mack's best interests before your own feelings and i think you are very brave. thinking of you and sending nosey rubs for Mack

Thanks Kirsty. I'll let you pass on the nose rubs when you see him tomorrow, TBH he is more likely to let you pet him than me anyway at the moment. Sad
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Oh I'm so sorry. Sad Poor Mack. You've done everything for him that you possibly could. Will be thinking of you on Wednesday.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeybunny Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:38 am

Sooz it's so sad Crying or Very sad
You have done everything possible to extend his life and keep him comfortable.
Mack was so lucky to be adopted by you, and despite his recent biting, I'm sure he is very grateful
You both will be in my thoughts tomorrow xx

Honeybunny
Rescuer

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:44 am

Oh Sooz, I am so so sorry. Poor Mack, but without you and without your wonderful care his life would have been much shorter. He is fortunate in that he found you.

You have both fought so hard and Mack has been so brave. You have always done the best by him however tough the decision, no bunny can ask for more.

Am thinking of you and sending hugs and nose rubs xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:08 am

I'm so sorry to see this, and can only add to the points already put, that Mack has had the best opportunity he could have had, receieved the best care and love and you were both destined to find each other I think.

You've made the best decision for him now Sooz, give him a cuddle and nose rub from us, we'll be thinking of you both tomorrow, xxx Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:16 am

I am so sorry Sooz, I know how heartbreaking it is, you have done everything you can for him, thinking of you
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahP Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:11 am

So sorry to hear about Mack. No-one could possibly have done more for him than you have, including this final decision. Thinking of you both. x
SarahP
SarahP
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 344

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Oh sooz I had no idea I am so sorry Crying or Very sad
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next