Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

disaster pixie in a right state after seeing a cat

+6
FluffSlave
Father Jack
Thumper2001
fiver
Tuckerbunnies
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
10 posters

Go down

disaster pixie in a right state after seeing a cat Empty disaster pixie in a right state after seeing a cat

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Sad
[/HR]
I stupidly didn't think that Pixie may of not seen a cat before . Our cat is an indoor cat but we Occasionally take her out on her lead. I stupidly walked out ebony, Pixie was in the run she saw her darted into the cat flap skidded across the lino and wedged herself in between a tight gap against the wall and carrier , panting and scanning . I tried to comfort her but she kept running back and forth frantically hitting in to things . I decided to go inside and get some parsley as I opened the back door she was in the run and started frantically pacing back and forth and ran into the shed Sad she's in a right state it's all my fault there's nothing I can do to calm her down. I daren't pick her up I've never handled her and don't plan too . how on earth can we keep cats away from us? Sad
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 686
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Back to top Go down

disaster pixie in a right state after seeing a cat Empty Re: disaster pixie in a right state after seeing a cat

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Just leave her Jack for an hour or so and just monitor her, the scanning could be due to shock. If it's a house cat that you only take out now and then just make sure Pixie is locked in her shed when you are walking the cat and Pikie doesn't see it, she will calm down it will take awhile though. Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

disaster pixie in a right state after seeing a cat Empty Re: disaster pixie in a right state after seeing a cat

Post by fiver Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 pm

mayses right jack give her cuddsles fro me Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:Just leave her Jack for an hour or so and just monitor her, the scanning could be due to shock. If it's a house cat that you only take out now and then just make sure Pixie is locked in her shed when you are walking the cat and Pikie doesn't see it, she will calm down it will take awhile though. Hugs
I totally agree with this Thumbs Up
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Personally, I'd give the cat a nip on the bum to show it who's boss Twisted Evil
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Father Jack wrote:Personally, I'd give the cat a nip on the bum to show it who's boss Twisted Evil
Do you want to come and stay with me for a week, Father Jack? I know some cats who need taught a lesson Mad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 pm

I agree with everyone else. It's not your fault Jack. We all know you would never deliberately scare Pixie!

I'm sure given some time she will calm down, and in the future just make sure she is safely shut inside when you take Ebony out. She will gradually grow used to cats being around though. When we first got Mojo he reacted much the same to hearing the dogs go past his room, but now he hardly blinks!

Hugs for you and vibes for Pixie Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:36 pm

Hugs for you and Pixie! When our neighbor's cat came to our back French doors Rory thumped for all he was worth. He was SO scared! We weren't sure why the total panic since there was a good solid set of doors between the two. But I guess if you would be looking through a glass pane at something bigger than you that was meowing and bright orange it might be frightening! Rory calmed down so i'm sure Pixie will. I prescribe some of her favorite foods and sitting with her after she calms. Just your presence will make her feel safer. I admire how well you care for your furry companions. Hugs
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks everyone , It took a while for her to settle down but just been out to see them and all is well. She's a little wary still tonight but im sure she will be just fine tomorrow. I am just going to heat up their snuggle safe and chop up veg for the pigs and get ready flopsy's metacam then will put them to bed with their pellets.

My Biggest concern is when we are out and one of the 3 Bengals in the village coming into the garden at scaring her, they are just 2 doors away and they can be quite a pain to say the least. All of the bunnies are wary of the Bengals but are fine with normal cats. I am not sure how we can get her used to cats but I cant block the runs out completely, the bengals are around quite a lot unfortunately and out garden is not exactly fenced at the moment so we have no way really of blocking cats out . I just don't want my little girl getting distressed bless her. She is a siamese sable and their eye sight is not 100% as they have albino gene's hence why she scans a lot. if she does not see things while she is scanning she can get spooked bless her.
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 686
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 pm

The joys of having cats as neighbours I'm afraid!

They please themselves and there's no telling them Rolling Eyes

Fingers crossed she gets used to them.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:47 am

Awww poor Pixie. Hugs Hugs Its awful when they get that scared. As the others have said, just leave her be to settle. How about one of those cat deterrents in your garden? I dont know if it affects bunnies though, so youd just have to check it out.

I would say she may get used to the cats being around, although shes never going to "like" them, she may be able to cope better with time, but her reaction was very extreme, so im not too sure. Id look into the cat deterrent if your worried Jack.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:46 am

I agree with Sophia that Pixie should get used to the cats. Once she realises she is safe she may well calm down. I am quite surprised about the local roaming bengals. My neighbours have a bengal which is not allowed out because she was so expensive and they worry about her being stolen. This is common amongst bengal owners I think.

I actually wonder whether it is worth continuing to walk your cat in the garden. Starting at a distance and then getting closer as Pixie gets used to the cats presence. It is much better that she is scared in a controlled manner by you than be scared out of her wits in a couple of months time by a strange cat sunbathing on top of her run!(that is what ont of the local cats used to do to my pigs in my old house).

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Lotsof hopes and vibes are coming Jack love and please do not blame yourself, you have nothing to reproach yourself for. I really hope this sorts itself out and everyone is made happy.

Somebody must be rich to have 3 bengals.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:08 pm

My rabbits were the opposite mine used to run around with my cats. Infact I had one rabbit who terrorised my cats
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Velvet.Tears wrote:My rabbits were the opposite mine used to run around with my cats. Infact I had one rabbit who terrorised my cats

I've known of house bunnies putting dogs in their place! You've got to love them Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:07 pm

It is true Fluffslave love, our bunnies have always ruled everyone else, including us LOL!!

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down