Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poor rosie.

+8
gentl
fiver
Sparky
Thumper2001
FluffSlave
Tuckerbunnies
Freckles
xLilyRosex
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Poor rosie. Empty Poor rosie.

Post by xLilyRosex Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:07 pm

My poor girl rose has had a continuous health issue going on for over 6 months now, shes had swobs and antibiotics shes now having penicillan injections because the antibiotics is not working.

She keeps getting a wet bottom which i am also having too keep her fur around her bottom trimmed. she keeps getting dry crusty horrid patches on her nose which bless her looks ever so sore, she had a penicillan injection nafte xmas and it got rid of the nose problen until last week but the bottom keeps on becoming wet now and again which with cutting the fur is fairly under control.

The vets dont seem too think theres anything more they can do, they dont wanna do blood tests on her so i dont know what else can be done, do i keep on having penicillan jabs every few months? or is this in the long run not a good idea? Ive changed her litter, they get cleaned out everyday, ive changed there hay too some very exspensive hay thats meant too be better they do love it Very Happy, but it still keeps coming back i just feel ever so sorry for her bless her heart.

Any advice, has anyone gone through this??

Get well vibes please guys for rose. xx
xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Poor rosie. Empty Re: Poor rosie.

Post by Freckles Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Aww get well wishes for your Rosie!! Poor rosie. 317363
Freckles
Freckles
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by xLilyRosex Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Thank you, there very happy today they are having fun in there runs outside as its nice day wahooo Very Happy x
xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Have they said what it is ? as it sounds like a urine infection if she is on penicillin and that can be treated.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Oh dear, poor Rosie Sad

I can't offer any advice but I can send her loads and loads of vibes! And lots of hugs for you, too Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Have you tried a different vet? A second opinion couldn't hurt.

When Thumper was a young thing she had a problem and the vet I was using at the time couldn't help. I took her elsewhere and they fixed her up. Needless to say, I stuck with the new surgery....
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:30 pm

What's her diet?

I wonder if a longer course of a milder antibiotic might be useful. Quite often the symptoms are knocked back, so the treatment stops, but it has not been long enough to get rid of an underlying infection.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:50 pm

I just thought about when my guinea pig was on antibiotics for a UTI and got an upset tummy. I know it's not quite the same, but similar. Can't antibiotics cause a tummy upset?

Maybe the prolonged use of antibiotics is upsetting her tummy?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:31 pm

oh poor little girl i'm sending oodles of get well vibes for her and hugs for you Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by xLilyRosex Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks all, its a bacteria infection that the antibiotics wernt getting rid of all together she went on anti biotics four times the last time i told them enough was enough and i wernt happy keep on giving her antibitics that wernt doing anything, she had vet check ups and each time had 2 weeks of anti biotics then it came back Sad so she was on the anti biotics long enough, they then put her on the penicillian as she had swobs which found out it was a bacterial infection that the anti biotics wernt sorting out. Its just heartbreaking and i just want her better shes obviously in pain with her nose, ill try and pop some pics up i took some today and you can see her nose and how sore it looks.
xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:11 pm

I have antibiotic injections for my snuffles at times, when it has flared up. I have them for two whole weeks after all of my symptoms have gone - if I don't it comes back very quickly. I've not had to have them for a long time now, almost a year I think.

I have an injection every 3 days and Humum does them at home so I don't have to keep going to the vet.

Have the told you what bacterial infection it is?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by xLilyRosex Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Awww sparky you brave bunny & cute Smile, they didnt confirm but they said her nose could be snuffles.....is this contagious??? as shes in with 2 other buns and i havnt been told too seperate them.
When i take rose back too the vets next week for her check up im going too get them too write everything down, as its so much too take in when in the vets.
xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Snuffles is a general term for an infection of the upper respiratory tract (i.e. the nose rather than the chest). It is important to keep it under control because it can travel to the chest and once it has it is an awful lot harder to beat and can cause pneumonia. It is often caused by pasteurella, which is what I have. A lot of buns carry it but most never suffer from it, mostly it becomes active when a bun's immune system is depressed for some reason. My Humum can often predict when mine will flare up as stress brings it on. She tries to prevent it by keeping my stress levels low and supporting my immune system as much as possible.

I have echinacea or dried coneflower (clicky) as it helps reduce stress. I also get nebulised with F10 solution and Bisolvon powder, which helps get the medicine deep into my airways and keeps the mucus nice and runny. Mucus in buns is often quite thick so keeping it thin so it can run out of the nose is vital.

I would ask your vet about Bisolvon - it can be put in water, sprinkled on food or nebulised.

Also ask about nebulising - many people with snuffly buns find this really helps.

I would also ask for a long course of injectable anti-biotics (the one I have is called Alamycin) and get them to teach you how to give the injections. It's very scary at first but well worth learning Thumbs Up

You could always print this post and take it with you Laughing so they have it straight from the bun's mouth. If they are not willing to listen to you and investigate what you ask, find a different vet - I would not be here if ours wasn't so open-minded Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Having seen the picture on the other thread, I'm not convinced that is common snuffles.

Whereabouts in West Sussex are you and can you travel to get to a rabbit savvy vet?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by xLilyRosex Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Thank you for all that great info, very helpful and really appreciate you taking the time too give me the info:). i think i will take your post with me when i go next week Smile.
The vet did say her brething was fine on tuesday when i took her and there were no problems there.
No i dont drive, i could try and get my friend too take me if needed im in horsham.

xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:27 am

Sending mega get well vibes via Hare-Mail for Rosie! Love Bless her little heart!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:17 pm

I am soi very sorry to hear about this love, I am sending loads and loads of love to you all. Please keep us updated.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by xLilyRosex Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Thank you guys xx
xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:05 pm

xLilyRosex wrote:Thanks all, its a bacteria infection that the antibiotics wernt getting rid of all together she went on anti biotics four times the last time i told them enough was enough and i wernt happy keep on giving her antibitics that wernt doing anything, she had vet check ups and each time had 2 weeks of anti biotics then it came back Sad so she was on the anti biotics long enough, they then put her on the penicillian as she had swobs which found out it was a bacterial infection that the anti biotics wernt sorting out. Its just heartbreaking and i just want her better shes obviously in pain with her nose, ill try and pop some pics up i took some today and you can see her nose and how sore it looks.

Oh Bless her but the penicillin injections should sort that out as it's about the best.

Hope her nose get's better soon xxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 pm

Sending lots and lots and lots of vibes for Rosie x x
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:26 pm

I am topping up the vibes for little Rosie Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by xLilyRosex Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks guys her nose is looking much better now, its starting too clear up, i think when she goes too the vets in a few days she will need another injection too ensure it works. Thanks for all the messages xx
xLilyRosex
xLilyRosex
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:39 am

Sending more vibes via Hare-Mail for the adorable little Rosie! Love Get well sweetie! Hugs for you too Bunny Mommy!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 am

Poor Rosie. It sounds like pasturella (although you probably already know that by now)!

Im afraid I have no real experience of it, ive had snuffly buns on abx now and again, but never anything chronic. Sparky is a snuffles bunny though, im sure she can give you lots of helpful advice. She now has a nebuliser that seems to be keeping her ticking along nicely. Im sure shes already dropped in on this thread by now though. Smile

Lots of vibes for her, anyway :huge:
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 pm

some more vibes for her Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver