Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a good rabbit vet- blackburn lancashire

4 posters

Go down

Looking for a good rabbit vet- blackburn lancashire Empty Looking for a good rabbit vet- blackburn lancashire

Post by BugsBunny Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi

My 4 month old Dougal is getting his jabs next week on Tues at Town and Country vets in Blackburn, I know these are very good vets and popular as they where brill for our dogs in the past etc and for our black lab Sam who is my big baby and is 15, he lives with my mum and dad as he is my mums but he has always thought he was mine and we have a strong bond and he has always followed me around etc. Anyways, I know they are good with him and sweet but I am not sure about rabbits. I have a good list of questions to ask them so that if they answer them well and right as I have the answers and info to look out for then I can get him neutered there.

Does anyone know of any more good vets just in-case as a back up in Blackburn or Darwen Lancashire as I do not drive it has to be somewhere local and not too far away but Blackburn is fine. Very Happy
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Looking for a good rabbit vet- blackburn lancashire Empty Re: Looking for a good rabbit vet- blackburn lancashire

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:04 pm

I would strongly recommend you use whichever vets Sparky and Father Jack go to as they sound pretty brill with rabbits.

As a rule of thumb I would take my buns to a good equine vet rather than a good dog one. Buns are much closer to horses in their make up than cats and dogs and you need a vet that understands that. I am lucky I have a brilliant rabbit owning and very interested vet at the practice that is 2 mins from my house, but she is the only one at the practice that I really trust to get it right with them.

Back to top Go down

Looking for a good rabbit vet- blackburn lancashire Empty Re: Looking for a good rabbit vet- blackburn lancashire

Post by KatieB Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Bunny savvy vets are hard to come by. It's shocking how little a lot of vets know about buns.

Sparky has a good one in Blackburn I think :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Which vets is that for Sparky?
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:14 pm

We use Myerscough Vets, who have several branches in the area. Ours is the one on the A59 at Clayton-Le-Dale, so the 'wrong' side of Blackburn for you, but well worth it if you can get to them. We usually see the head vet, Claire Batty, and she is brilliant and makes sure we get great care even when we need to see a different vet. She's out on maternity leave at the moment and made a real point of giving us a good handover to another vet and put us with the most rabbit-savvy one, Sian Smith (who did a lovely job of Poppy's spay yesterday).

They also have their own 24 hour emergency cover, rather than referring you to another vet on an out-of-hours service. It's a real comfort to know that the vet you go to in an emergency will be the same one who is familiar with you and your pets Thumbs Up

Highly recommended.

Clicky

Something I would advise when choosing a vet is to ask for one who owns, or has owned, rabbits themselves. That will just give them the confidence in the simplest things - we have seen one vet who was obviously not even comfortable lifting and handling a rabbit, let alone giving it a thorough examination Hmmm
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Brilliant , thanks very much for that, I will get him vaccinated at town and country and talk to them and see what I think but the 1 you go to sounds ideal and especially since they have a 24 hour service with the same vet too, somebody else told me they had found those when they googled it but did not know anything about them, I am glad you do and that they are good. I will more than likey get him into that 1 for neutering and future then if it is not too far and eays enough to get to. I don't think my dad will mind taking us there. It does not sound hard to get to. I will look into this, thanks. Very Happy
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:04 pm

If it helps, hudad can do bunny taxi in evenings in exchange for coffee Thumbs Up

He doesn't seem to go for fenugreek though No
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Laughing Thumbs Up

wow, I am surprised, I thought fenugreek was like a bunny drug the way they go mad for them. Laughing
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Yes but hoomins aren't so keen. Silly hoomins....
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Maybe you just likes to be different Laughing us hoomins should maybe get addicted to fenugreek lol

I only knew about these treats as read up on another forum and gave them a try, he loves them, he also loves his naturals dandelion herb mix too.

Dougal was doing his happy mad runs and binks when I walked in his room this morning, he greets me by hopping over to my feet then he jumps like a mad hatter all over and on his boxes, then does laps and binkies and then follows me lol, so cute, he also likes nudging me a lot, he uses his nose to nudge for everything and nudges his toys etc too, Laughing , he os funny and cute.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Hoomins are just the bunny slaves really and I bet they think we are strange indeed not liking the fenugreek and liking coffee and hoomin stuff. I am Dougals minion Laughing
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down