Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl

+10
NickieM
KatieB
paullp
jolovesbunnies
Sparky
FluffSlave
gentl
fiver
Tuckerbunnies
BugsBunny
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  Empty Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl

Post by BugsBunny Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 am

Hi everyone,

i sat with Dougal for many hours today and took some great photos I still need to post, I have been very nusy sohave not had chance. Anyway whilst I was in his room with him I noticed around his eye not in his eye that it was pretty pink and that he had obviously been scratching it as it had a small nick on it too, it looks a tad sowlen around it on the eyebrow and I have just come away from him to go to bed and noiced it had gotten slightly worse. I am getting him into the vets friday, hoping they have an appointment avialable for him then as my husband has an important hospital appointment tomorrow and thu is the same with apppintments etc.

I have posted  a photo to see what everyone thinks, it is not the best as he keps moving but you can see his eye clearly enough and see what I mean. Do I need to vathe it or best to wait to see vet incase I aggravate  it more?

Please click photos to see them enlarged.

( I will be postng photos of my baby in the photos section soon too).

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  3ca6fa261049044 Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  49434d261049061

Last edited by BugsBunny on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:45 pm; edited 10 times in total
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  Empty Re: Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 am

BugsBunny wrote:Hi everyone,

i sat with Dougal for many hours today and took some great photos I still need to post, I have been very nusy sohave not had chance. Anyway whilst I was in his room with him I noticed around his eye not in his eye that it was pretty pink and that he had obviously been scratching it as it had a small nick on it too, it looks a tad sowlen around it on the eyebrow and I have just come away from him to go to bed and noiced it had gotten slightly worse. I am getting him into the vets friday, hoping they have an appointment avialable for him then as my husband has an important hospital appointment tomorrow and thu is the same with apppintments etc.

I have posted  a photo to see what everyone thinks, it is not the best as he keps moving but you can see his eye clearly enough and see what I mean. Do I need to vathe it or best to wait to see vet incase I aggravate  it more?

Please click photos to see them enlarged.

( I will be postng photos of my baby in the photos section soon too).

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  3ca6fa261049044 Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  49434d261049061

Round his eye does look red and slightly swollen it could be a few things, conjunctivitis or a blocked tearduct or just something in his eye like a bit of hay or dust, or an ingrowing eyelash . I would get some cotton wool and boil some water and let it go lukewarm and gently bathe the eye a couple of times a day. Has he any dental problems ? Is there any discharge from the eye as if it is conjunctivitis he will need to see a vet as he will need antibiotic or anti-inflammatory eye drops.

Hope he will be ok .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  Empty Re: Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl

Post by fiver Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 am

i agree with maysie sending vibes for poor little one HugsHugsHugsHugsHugsHugsHugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:46 am

No he does not have any dental problems, was only at the vets about 2 weeks ago with him for his vaccinations and she said his teeth are great. No discharge, just a bit of sleep stuff like us humans get and only a bit.

I have an appointment at the vets, I will bathe it when we get home if he will let me, he does let me stroke him and allsorts and give nose rubs so hoping he lets me bathe the eye a bit for him.  I will see how he goes today and tomorrow, if it improves a lot I will cancel appointment but if it does not I will keep it. I think it is safer to be checked out just in case.I think he has probably got some megazorb in pr something and he has scratched it and made it worse but saying that the actual eye does not weep or look sore so I dunno, just around the eye and on eyebrow.

Thanks for the advice.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:10 am

Poor little mite!  Sending vibes by Hare-Mail straight away!!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Firstly, he's gorgeous!! Love

This looks similar to what my Willow gets occasionally. You can see it when it's flared up in this pic:

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  2012-10-15115739_zps5a03b16e

I do exactly what Maysie said when it happens - boil the kettle, let it go lukewarm and then bathe it 2-3 times a day and it clears it up for her. She likes to root around in the hay so I'm pretty sure she just gets a lot of seeds Thumbs Up

I'd still get him checked out unless it improves though, as it could need treatment.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Clicking on the first pic I can see some generalised inflammation and a red spot that I can't see clearly. It could be a poke with some stalky hay in the eye area. However, because of the generalised inflammation and the red dot and because he hasn't had his jab yet I would take him to be checked over by the vet. I am reasonably sure it is probably a stratch but you can never be too sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:47 pm

He had both of his jabs 2 weeks ago and ye it does look generalised and yes he has a tiny cut on it like he has caught it on hay or with his claws. It does not look as red as it did yesterday  but still inflamed at the top of it and still the tiny red dot cut. I will bathe it when he is out properly and yes it does look like it is the same as your rabbit gets fluffslave, what a gorgeous rabbit you have btw and thanks for the comment on my Dougal being gorgeous , he is indeed and he knows thias too Laughing. I will let evrybody know how the bathing goes and if it improves more and looks like it is not going to be a problem I can cancel the vets, I am keeping the appointment atm just to see how he goes and if it does improve ( lets hope so) he hates going in the car and to the vets. What is the easiest way to bathe his eye as he does not like being picked up, but does like being storked, pampered and all that and even lets me touch roubnd his bum and under his belly mostly. I think he will not like me messing with his eyes though but I dunno until I try so any tips would be very much appreciated.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:58 pm

It could be a mild reaction to the jabs then - or it could be conjunctivitis and need some drops. 

With the pigs I use Optrex to bathe their eyes - as recommended by piggy guru Peter Gurney. I would do the same for the buns if required.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:01 pm

BugsBunny wrote:He had both of his jabs 2 weeks ago.
Was it two jabs, or the combination vaccine which is only one injection but protects against two diseases? Was it exactly two weeks ago?

It does look like he might have caught it - Layla occasionally catches her third eyelid with a claw while scratching and pulls a bit off, which looks sore but always heals up fine.

As has been said, bathe it morning and night and if you think it still needs looking at pop him to the vet (better for him to be seen Friday than you deciding over the weekend that he *really* needs to be seen, emergency vet appointments are not cheap!) Personally I'd put a bit of salt in the bathing water, too Thumbs Up

He's going to have to let you do these things, even if he does not want you to. He'll have painkillers after his neuter which you need to get into him (fortunately most buns seem to love the taste and suck it out of the syringe then look for more Laughing). Be confident when you are handling him. It can help to have him up on a table where he won't feel so confident, especially if the surface is a bit slippery, just make sure he can't decide to dive off it. I'd first try him on the floor to minimise stress, he might not mind his eye being bathed once he realises it is quite soothing.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:11 pm

I often find getting someone to feed Willow something whilst I do it helps as well. If you have someone who can occupy him with some veggies, for example, he should stay very still for you and be more bothered about those. Green beans work well, as they're very long Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks Sparky, yes I know he has to get used to it and I am definatey working on it, he has done brill as he lets me do everything else and he let vet pick him up and me hold him whilst she gave him the jab, it was the combo jab that covers both. I think he has caught it too but it does look sore, it is a tad more swolen and stil as pink, I thought it had died down a bit but it has not. I am going to go into him again shortly and try bathing it for him. Hopefully he will stay still long enough and the food idea is a good one. My husband can distract while I try, going to try him first without that and if it does not work then go for the food option or I can just give him something myslef and then do it when he is eating it.

I have made a lot of progress with him, just need the picking up stage , the vet picked him diffrerenlty to what I have read up on how to do it, but the way I asked and she showed me looks way easier to be able to do it so may try that way , working on it slowly but I am sure we willl get there in the end. He puts his back to me for a stroke and my hand on his nose for nose rubs, sits bear me and allsorts, puts his legs out while I groom but he wont let me groom legs are chest yet.

Here are a few more photos of his eye, I could get a better photo with flash but do not like the idea of camera flashing in his eyes. I will sort out photobucket soon to get them up properly.

Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  2423d9261197954 Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  1cc7c1261197990 Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  E3f340261198031 Dougal took his meds again, he even licked the bowl  754018261198081
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 pm

OK, can you tell us what is going on at the back corner of the eye? I can't see clearly enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Sorry, I am sorting the omages out on photobucket today as soon as I can. On he eyebrow in the top corner of his eye it is swolen and he has like a cut on it, it does not look as pink today as it did but the cut is lsightly worse as he has been scracthing it I presume. I have bathed it this morning which he let me and it seemed to be soothing for him and I am going to do it twice more today and see if it improves any. I will post way better images so you can see them as soon as I can, I will post the images properly tonight when hubby ois home, he has gone visiting his mum and he has made a good programme that resizes photos well and then I can upload to image shack and post them on here.

Oh and it was 1 week and 2 days ago he was at the vets, it was last week Tuesday he had the conbo jab, I thought it was 2 weeks ago, not with it at all lately, between Ste and his hospital appointments and mine as haveing some problems atm I do not know what is when and was Laughing.

Thanks.

It could be this   http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/eyes/c_rb_red_eye
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:54 pm

The reason I asked how long ago his jab was is because I have heard of slight reactions like this before, always presenting within two weeks of the jab. I *think* it can be a slight reaction to the Myxi part of the vaccine (little sores like that around the eye are commonly the first sign of Myxi in buns) and as far as I am aware it generally happens in buns who are on their first vaccine and settles down on its own.

Definitely get him to the vet tomorrow for them to check - they might want to give him some drops or abx just in case, and if they do think it is related to the vaccine they can feed this back to the vaccine manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure that even if it is a reaction to the vaccine, it's nothing much to worry about Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Sending you both lots of cuddles.

Hugs

Jo x

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks Sparky, I am doing, got his appointment at about 20 to 4 I think it is. Bless him, he has let me beathe it twice, ye sounds like it could be a reaction but best to be safe as you say they may want to give him something for it. It is not as pink now but a tad sowlen and a bit sore looking.

Thanks Jo.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:46 pm

My thoughts were exactly the same as Sparky's. Hopefully it will be no problem longer term.

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:04 pm

lots of vibes for Dougal, we hope all goes well at the vets Hugs
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Me, hudad and Dougal thank you fot the hugs and support, will keep you all posted once we get back, it is about 20 to 4 his appoitment tomorrow.

Last edited by BugsBunny on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:41 pm

How did Dougal's appointment go? What did they have to say?

I'm topping up the vibes for his poorly eye Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:35 pm

How was his appt?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Sending lots of poorly eye vibes Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 pm

His appointment is tomorrow around 4. Will keep you posted and many thanks, I feel so sorry for him.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:25 pm

We are setting off to the vets at 3, my dad is kindly running me over with Dougal, he is going to hate Humum for this, I have to trick him into his box and close him in. He hates the car ride. I hope he goes in the carrier again for me today. I do not want to be chasing him around before the stress of the vets. Humum is doing it for his own good but he does not understand, I did try and explain but I got a rather funny look off him. Wish me luck and will let you all know how he goes on, make is poorly eye better I hope.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next