Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparky's Humum

+4
c.bolduan
BugsBunny
KatieB
Sparky
8 posters

Go down

Sparky's Humum Empty Sparky's Humum

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 pm

How is Sparky with her fits now?

Back to top Go down

Sparky's Humum Empty Re: Sparky's Humum

Post by Sparky Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:56 pm

This is something that's been on my mind for a while. She's not had a fit since the big one when she first fell out with Theo, and the little one soon after when they had another little scuffle. She still does the 'squirm' but only when her head has been turned down towards her right flank, never on the left. The eye-rolling that accompanied the fits appears to be nystagmus, and at the RWAF conference Richard Saunders said this would normally be related to a balance problem. She has never eye-rolled other than when she was fitting and hyperventiliating. Hudad has seen her stumble a couple of times when she gets up.

I don't really know where to go from here, and my current thinking is that I consider it most likely to be a pasteurella lesion in the brain. She shows no signs of ear infection or EC, and it would not surprise me if she did test positive for EC but it is not active and we could go down the wrong path.

We'd not seen her flop right onto her side for ages and I wondered if that is because if she lays on her side she feels giddy - she always seemed to sit / lay / sleep with her head upright. And the day I mentioned that to her Hudad, she DBF'ed so completely that she almost gave him a heart attack Laughing

She seems quite normal, she eats and poops fine and binkies around the bedroom (at 4am, usually Rolling Eyes) and does not do anything which causes us any concern. She spends a good part of the night out on the landing in front of Theo's baby gate, although she doesn't like us to know it Laughing but still throws a right strop if there's nothing between them.

The only thing that seems to trigger any problems is stress, and I'm not willing to cause her any just to generate symptoms.

Our best vet is still out on maternity leave, as is one of the other good rabbit vets. If Richard Saunders was more local I would take her to him as he did impress me at the conference, but I am not willing to put her through loads of stress and tests just to find out that it's not something we can do anything about.

It's come down to quality of life, really - it is just fine at the moment, I think if we tried to diagnose the problem* we'd risk causing others such as a flare-up of the pasteurella, we're aware that she might deteriorate very quickly or suddenly and we just make the most of all the time she is happy, healthy and cheeky.

*although I would love to have it diagnosed, and would kick myself if it turned out to be something easily treated.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33 pm

I think you are doing absolutely the right thing.

She is a sensitive little girl and stress is just so dangerous in buns.

Sending her a great big nose rub.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:05 pm

I agree with Katie. And sending lots of nose rubs too.

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Nose rubs for Sparky and I will bring her some of that green hay we have as a treat when we come to you Saturday. "Sparky do not tell the other buns"Wink 

I cannot wait to meet her and the other wood buns.

You do brilliant with her , you have fantastic Huparents Sparky. Very Happy  Hugs
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Sparky, have you ever considered Bach rescue Remedy? I treat all of my animals wheever they are poorly. It works brilliantly on kids and animals. They come as stock bottles and need to be diluted for small creatures. I can provide you with a ready to use solution if you want. I wonder whether I want to post something on the Firmary side-thinking of little Thomas and his friends. Certainly any stress wants to be avoided.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:38 pm

I agree with Katie I think you are doing the best that you can for her but then I don't doubt you never do Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:00 am

You do such a good job with Sparky!  Excellent vet care provided.  A rich environment for her to stay entertained and perfect her nortiness videos and correspondence courses.  You've at least tried to provide her with a companion and her with Theo the special rare lop-eared tiger.  Sparky does really seem to be a people bunny.  She is the princess of the Wood Warren and seems to be most content with that! Laughing
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Well, thanks a lot you lot - my nose is rubbed quite raw now Hissy 

Seriously, Humum says thanks, it can be difficult in a situation like this trying to decide what to do for the best, especially when what you decide to do is nothing. It's nice that people whose knowledge and opinions she holds in high esteem agree Smile 

BugsBunny wrote:Nose rubs for Sparky and I will bring her some of that green hay we have as a treat when we come to you Saturday. "Sparky do not tell the other buns"Wink 
Thank you very much, that is very kind. Don't let Humum give it to me though or I will glare at it in horror, run off and eye it warily from the far corner. If you give it to me I'll nom it all up Very Happy 

c.bolduan wrote:Hi Sparky, have you ever considered Bach rescue Remedy? I treat all of my animals wheever they are poorly. It works brilliantly on kids and animals. They come as stock bottles and need to be diluted for small creatures. I can provide you with a ready to use solution if you want. I wonder whether I want to post something on the Firmary side-thinking of little Thomas and his friends. Certainly any stress wants to be avoided.
I have Echinacea - dried always available and a liquid in my water if I seem stressy. I've also tried Zylkene but it didn't seem to make much difference. I'm not all that stressed at the moment (my tea was on time Wink ) but we'll bear it in mind if I get another pasteurella flare-up. Thank you Smile
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Do not worry Sparky I will give it straight to you special girl. I wont let your Humum touch it Laughing Laughing , it is all yours and we would not want you to be stressed since you are calm atm Laughing . I also have that bag of excel herbage for you and the Theo, yes you have you have to share it and be kind, I think you may be able to spare Theo some of the Timothy too, just don't go hopping over his baby gate at night and duffing him up Wink Laughing .
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 pm

I think you're making the right decision Thumbs Up

I'm glad she seems fine at the moment Very Happy

Sending vibes for Sparky Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:50 pm

I am sending lots of love and warm cuddles.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down