Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitch bedding. U/D Where we're at/megazorb gone

+6
Tuckerbunnies
fall3n-ang3l
Amelia66
Sparky
KatieB
Thumper2001
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fitch bedding. U/D Where we're at/megazorb gone Empty Fitch bedding. U/D Where we're at/megazorb gone

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey All.

Apologies for not being around. I've been feeling crappy.

Need your help... Since megazorb changed their packaging, I CANNOT tolerate the smell :pale:It smells like a cow took a poop in my cupboard and I get whiffs of it now and then. Not a nice thing in the home!

I've read some bits online so I know it's not a dodgy bag I've got and I've also read that they are not budging on changing the bags back, so it's got to go.

I also couldn't help but notice that the bags are smaller and lighter, and yet it's still selling at the same price.

I've read some decent reviews about Fitch - http://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/animal-bedding/fitch-pet-bedding/fitch-pet-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html - so think I'm going to give it a go.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it?

Thanks.

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Fitch bedding. U/D Where we're at/megazorb gone Empty Re: Fitch bedding. U/D Where we're at/megazorb gone

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Oh, another one I came across if anyone has tried it http://www.aubiose.co.uk/ but leaning more towards fitch!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fitch bedding. U/D Where we're at/megazorb gone Empty Re: Fitch bedding. U/D Where we're at/megazorb gone

Post by KatieB Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Hey there hunni :-). Will have a look later :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Humum has heard that the plastic packaging seems to be having an adverse affect on Megazorb, although the bags we have had so far have been fine.

We're giving the Nedz Bed Advance a try, as recommended by Cheryl.

We're quite impressed so far. It is heavier so does not get scattered about so easily (Poppy) and is very absorbent and nasty-odour free. It clumps better and so is easier to spot-clean than Megazorb.

Apparently it rots down quickly so Humum is hoping she'll be able to compost more of it, whereas the Megazorb takes ages to compost.

The downside - Mason is determined to eat it No so he has to stay on Megazorb. There is a very definite minty smell at cleanout time when some of it is wet, although it doesn't say about any odour having been added to it, so we don't know if this is what appeals to Mason. Nobun else seems to eat it.

The bags seem to be smaller but the stuff is very heavy and you only need just enough to cover the bottom of the litter tray rather than a nice thick layer Thumbs Up

Hope you feel better soon Hugs Hugs Hugs 
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Katieb wrote:Hey there hunni :-). Will have a look later :-)
👋Thank you!

Sparky wrote:Humum has heard that the plastic packaging seems to be having an adverse affect on Megazorb, although the bags we have had so far have been fine.

We're giving the Nedz Bed Advance a try, as recommended by Cheryl.

We're quite impressed so far. It is heavier so does not get scattered about so easily (Poppy) and is very absorbent and nasty-odour free. It clumps better and so is easier to spot-clean than Megazorb.

Apparently it rots down quickly so Humum is hoping she'll be able to compost more of it, whereas the Megazorb takes ages to compost.

The downside - Mason is determined to eat it No so he has to stay on Megazorb. There is a very definite minty smell at cleanout time when some of it is wet, although it doesn't say about any odour having been added to it, so we don't know if this is what appeals to Mason. Nobun else seems to eat it.

The bags seem to be smaller but the stuff is very heavy and you only need just enough to cover the bottom of the litter tray rather than a nice thick layer Thumbs Up

Hope you feel better soon Hugs Hugs Hugs 
Thanks for your thoughts Sparky Smile

I'm getting irrationally annoyed with the neds bedz because I can't seem to see how much product you are getting for the £9.99 Mad Maybe I'm being thick?

I can get 20kg of fitch for £15 something.

Bless Mason! There's always one! NoLaughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:Oh, another one I came across if anyone has tried it http://www.aubiose.co.uk/ but leaning more towards fitch!

i have used this one and i liked it quite alot, i only stopped using it as its expensive and hard to find. Let us know how you get on with fitch tho!
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 pm

The nedz bags are 25kg.
like Sparky I was really impressed with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Sparky wrote:

And it fluffs up really quickly, does not track and stays dry for ages. I have tried some other straw pellets but none have impressed me as much as the Nedz advance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:I'm getting irrationally annoyed with the neds bedz because I can't seem to see how much product you are getting for the £9.99 :mad:Maybe I'm being thick?
cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:The nedz bags are 25kg.
like Sparky I was really impressed with it.

The bag is smaller because it is a lot denser / heavier so at first you don't seem to be getting so much of it as with a huge sack of Megazorb. It's less volume but more weight. As you use a lot less, we're using about the equivalent amount £ for £. As Humum gets more used to spot-cleaning it, she's expecting to use less.

You'll love it, it won't get spread everywhere by Molly Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:23 pm

I have asked Millbry hill and nedz to confirm weight of bags. 25kg is what millbry hill have told me but I have seen elsewhere that they are 15kg. So I am checking as it will make quite a difference to postage if Millbry Hill have over weighed.

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:50 pm

I may try this when the bag of megazorb runs out,I've put it on my fav's Very Happy 
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Thank you all. I have some wooden style pellets left over from ages ago so I'll pop them in their tray at the weekend and see if they are happy enough standing on it and I'll take it from there.

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I have asked Millbry hill and nedz to confirm weight of bags. 25kg is what millbry hill have told me but I have seen elsewhere that they are 15kg. So I am checking as it will make quite a difference to postage if Millbry Hill have over weighed.
Thanks for this Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:26 am

Thumper2001 wrote:Hey All.

Apologies for not being around. I've been feeling crappy.

Need your help... Since megazorb changed their packaging, I CANNOT tolerate the smell :pale:It smells like a cow took a poop in my cupboard and I get whiffs of it now and then. Not a nice thing in the home!

I've read some bits online so I know it's not a dodgy bag I've got and I've also read that they are not budging on changing the bags back, so it's got to go.

I also couldn't help but notice that the bags are smaller and lighter, and yet it's still selling at the same price.

I've read some decent reviews about Fitch - http://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/animal-bedding/fitch-pet-bedding/fitch-pet-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html - so think I'm going to give it a go.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it?

Thanks.

Hi Thumper Wave  Hope you are feeling better Hugs 

We said the same about megazorb as we have noticed they have changed the packaging and I said I could smell cow poop and now you have said the same how funny is that...it really stinks bad doesn't it.
I don't know anything about the Fitch pet bedding so can't really help, but agree about megazorb pale 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:07 pm

It really does stink doesn't it, Maysie? pale No

Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:29 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:It really does stink doesn't it, Maysie? paleNo

It's awful pale 

I thought it was Mike at first and kept looking at him thinking 'you smell' but then I realised it was the megazorb bag Laughing Laughing 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:07 pm

I have checked with Nedz and Millbry hill. The bags of Nedz Advance are 15kg and the Millbry Hill website has been updated appropriately. I have checked, you now get 2 bags per 30kg postage bracket.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:It really does stink doesn't it, Maysie? paleNo

It's awful pale 

I thought it was Mike at first and kept looking at him thinking 'you smell' but then I realised it was the megazorb bag Laughing Laughing 
Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I have checked with Nedz and Millbry hill. The bags of Nedz Advance are 15kg and the Millbry Hill website has been updated appropriately. I have checked, you now get 2 bags per 30kg postage bracket.
Thank you, Cheryl Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:33 am

I had to get rid of the megazorb because we thought it was making OH cough like mad. (Turns out it wasn't the megazorb tho!)

I used asda's wooden cat litter for a few days but they really don't like it Sad They did pees and poos in the cage beside the litter tray. So that blew the nedz option out of the water!

I went to P@H to see what they had to tide us over and there was carefresh and Back To Nature. We went for Back To Nature, Carefresh is stupidly expensive Shocked I'm glad we did because I'm really impressed with it Very Happy

Has anyone else used it?

I think it might get expensive though, so I'm back thinking about Fitch.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:56 pm

I use back to nature in Hector's tray, it's ace
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:24 pm

We use back 2 nature as well Smile
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:21 pm

We've been having the Nedz but the hu-parents aren't overly impressed with it because it starts fermenting within about 24 hours Hmmm 
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Fermenting? I find it just goes soft and fluffy but stays dry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Do you put hay on top, Cheryl, or use hay racks?

Not quite as fast as 24 hours but after a couple of days it's definitely starting to break down fast. Good for composting, but not brilliant in the beds...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Both the buns and the pigs tend to pull hay down onto it but it gets cleared off every morning. This means most of the poo gets cleared off with the hay but the pee soaks into the nedz. It lasts about 5-7 days in the litter tray. Almost immediately breaks down the moment pees hits it and turns into strawdust, but it still keeps absorbing and feels dry to the touch. The real test for me was nutmeg and her feet. I am always worried that the normal pellet type litters are too abrasive for her with her tendency to get bumblefoot but because the Nedz turns soft really quickly yet keeps the moisture away from her skin her feet haven't deteriorated at all. And the newspaper underneath stays dry. I haven't come across another bedding that does that.

I would check before you empty the trays that the litter actually feels wet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:30 pm

We tend to have a thickish bed of hay on the litter (mainly because with Megazorb, if you don't it gets trodden everywhere) and top it up for a couple of days before a cleanout. We'll try one of the quad's trays with a pile of hay at one end only and clear the hay off daily rather than top it up.

It wasn't that it seemed damp, it was that one tray was actually 'steaming' when the two-or-three day layer of hay was lifted - the quad always use their litter trays though, most of the other buns go outdoors, so the quad's trays get much wetter.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next