Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How cold is too cold for my bunny?

5 posters

Go down

How cold is too cold for my bunny? Empty How cold is too cold for my bunny?

Post by halfbloodprincess Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:26 am

I keep my bunny indoors, but I wonder if he is too cold? It's pretty cold during winter in Scotland even if its only October, but most years I get by on minimal use of heating, so although it isn't nearly as cold as it is outdoors, I would find it too cold if I were sitting in the chilly room doing nothing all day.

He has his toys and lots of space, so lots of reasons to run around to keep warm, but it is a large room and can get cold.

Is he alright, or should I provide one of those microwaveable heaters for small pets, and maybe a cozy pet bed? (The reason he doesn't already have one is that he has his hutch full of bedding to sleep in, as well as our sofa).

I heard that rabbits are more likely to overheat than anything, which is why I haven't thought of this problem so far, but this is my first winter with a bunny.

halfbloodprincess
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-08-12

Back to top Go down

How cold is too cold for my bunny? Empty Re: How cold is too cold for my bunny?

Post by dizzylynn Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:32 am

I think he/she will be fine, if you had kept him indoors then put him outside at this time of year then it would be a problem.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:36 am

Do you put your heating on in this room, maybe worth while getting a heat pad if there is no radiator in this room for later on when the temps drop bellow freezing, if it has 1 turn it on when the weather gets worse, not the now as he wont really need it, you could put a few boxes filled with straw in the room for him to snuggle into, he will enjoy digging into them as well.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:28 pm

The worst thing for an indoor bunny is extreme temperature changes (they don't tend to grow winter coats like outdoor buns). The best thing you can do is try to regulate the temperature using your heating thermostats. It doesn't have to be tropical temperatures, somewhere between 12*-16* will be more than adequate. The most important thing is to keep the temperature as stable as you can, although gradual changes of +/- 5* are perfectly fine.
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:09 pm

This is a good question and good answer from father jack. I was wondering the same as yesterday it was pretty cold in here. it is a warm house normally mostly but I did not want to boil him with the big radiator in the bedroom so i put it on low so it was just warm so i was not frozen and he was not roasting or too cold either.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Lots of hay to snuggle down into can keep them very snugly. In the wild I think their burrows maintain a temp in the mid 50'sF.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down