Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When is it to cold for buns to go out ?

3 posters

Go down

When is it to cold for buns to go out ?  Empty When is it to cold for buns to go out ?

Post by Dawnbunny Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 pm

HI,

As many of you know Pumpkin has been having trouble with repeated inner ear /chest infection.. we have nearly lost him a couple of times.

Currently he is on antibiotics and a little unstable from his inner ear infection. We have 2 huge concrete steps into our garden...when he was well this was no problem for him... But since he is ill he cant manage them... After his daily complaints to go out (scratching at french door windows) I carry him down the steps and put him in the flower bed....where he sunbathes and munches.. last couple of days he has bounded across the lawn.

I only let him stay out for an hour max at the warmest part of the day as Im worried the cold might affect his chest/health... when I carry him back in sometimes he seems angry with me..

How do I know when it to cold for him or tell when he wants to come in ?

Binky still runs in and out at his own leisure , he isnt staying out that long at the minute not sure if its the cold or the pigeons.... so cant go by him.....

Would appreciate your advice....
Dawn

Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

When is it to cold for buns to go out ?  Empty Re: When is it to cold for buns to go out ?

Post by Sparky Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Could you put a box full of hay / straw out for him to go into if he feels cold?

There is an argument that *really* cold weather actually helps clear germs from the respiratory system.... having said that I'm only being allowed out for a little while at a time at the moment, and the kitchen door is open for me to come in when I like.

How does he seem when he has been out and come back in?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

When is it to cold for buns to go out ?  Empty Re: When is it to cold for buns to go out ?

Post by Dawnbunny Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Thats a good idea Sparky... I can put one of his blankies outt here with hay..

The door does remain open but he cant make it up the stairs ... dodgy hip and balance issues on huge steps doesnt work... He doesnt like me chasing him to bring him in like I did today... Its not to difficult to catch a wobbly rabbit. His breathing seems ok when he is out in the boarder.

He seem a bit irritated when I bring him in... but does settle...has a sleep for 2hrs then wants out again ! I wouldnt let him out as there was no sun and I was just to worried about the cold...
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Would it be possible to put a board or something down to make a long, wide shallow ramp over the steps which he might be able to manage to go up and down on his own...?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi Sparky,

I dont think he could manage a ramp right now as he is to wobbly... even though he doesnt seem to know it !!!!! If we can get his balance right then might consider a ramp....

Its suppose to be warmer tomorrow so have got plans to make him cosy out there .... if he will stay in one spot !!! I wil llet you know how it goes...

Dawn x
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:35 am

its raining , so no going out today ... que bunny hissy fit at french door windows !!!!!!!! 1 large basil plant sorted that out Laughing

Dx
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Never mind sweetie, it is too nasty for yiu to go out for a play? Spring will soon be here.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnbunny Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:34 pm

jolovesbunnies wrote:Never mind sweetie, it is too nasty for yiu to go out for a play? Spring will soon be here.

Hugs

Jo xx

lol as soon as the sun comes out he doesnt understand the ground is still wet its let me out now.. and Ive got a big house for him to run round ! He just likes his fresh air x
Dawnbunny
Dawnbunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Oh love him and if he does go out when the grass is wet he probably spreads mud all over mum's floors - I know LOL!!

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down