Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somethings wrong with floppy

+7
Sparky
FluffSlave
gentl
Thumper2001
jolovesbunnies
KatieB
dizzylynn
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Somethings wrong with floppy - Page 2 Empty Re: Somethings wrong with floppy

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:19 pm

He will be on critical care formula till his times up, she was going to give me some, but explained i keep a tub handy, used last tub up on bella & the piggies, so onto new tub, so better order extra, it might give him more time. Get his energy level up & weight up a wee bit.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Is he back at home Lynn ?

I'm so sorry to hear this.  I would recommend providing him with something he can hide in inside the crate so that he can go in if he wants to and feels safe and comfortable - perhaps a box with a soft blanket in so that he is sheltered from noises etc but his wifebun can still get to him to offer him done comfort - poor little chap.  Keeping him warm is also a must I would say.  Please give him a cuddle from me.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Aw, poor little mite  Crying or Very sad 

How did they diagnose him? It seems a bit fast for blood tests...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Awaiting news here. I hope it is good news.  Hugs 

Get well vibes for Floppy!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:31 pm

I am so very sorry to hear this my love, what terrible news. I am sending lots of warm cuddles.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:45 pm

What a sad update Crying or Very sad So sorry.

I was thinking similar to Sparky, can they be certain so quickly?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:01 pm

There going by the notes in his records, his weight hasnt really changed since we rescued him.

Made up some critical care, he loved it, didnt give him to much will safe some in the fridge give him more before i go to bed. Will deffo need to order more.

Photo removed by Admin
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:09 pm

If he looks thin but his weight has not dropped, I'd be really dubious about a vet diagnosing terminal liver or kidney disease, to be honest. I'd want a second opinion.

Any Lynn, please don't syringe feed him on his back!  Shocked That is so dangerous and he could easily aspirate food. He needs to be the right way up with the syringe going in just behind his front teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg

If he actually likes the food he might lap it out of a bowl. You could even try making his usual pellets soggy and see if they appeal to him then - use a little lukewarm water as this helps them to smell stronger too.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Sparky wrote: If he actually likes the food he might lap it out of a bowl.

This Thumbs Up

My Willow adores CC and does exactly that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKgJrz0k8wM
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 pm

If you soak pellets until they are spongy, buns will eat them. Especially good if your bun has a sore mouth.

Would completely agree with the syringe information. You try drinking lying on your back and there is a chance that it will go into your lungs and not your stomach.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Tried putting it in bowl, sat him on the cooker nope no interest in the bowl, like he does with water, so filled the syringe offered him that, he sat took loads, looking for more, made him a days worth rest be ok till morning he can finish it 1st thing, gave him hand full of nuggets too, he enjoyed that too & kisses, hes soooo loving even when he feels horrible. The vet hasnt let me down yet, will catch stephen one day get him to have another look, the snooty lass dont trust but the irish woman & stephen have always been spot on. He weight 1.8 kg when we had him snipped, which was about .2 more than when we rescued him, its back down to the 1.6 even tho he eats well.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Normally dont sit them on back for meds but he jams his mouth shut even the vet struggled to get in his mouth. He loves it tho so much safer and easy to get good few syringe fills in him. Would be better out the bowl tho. Might try soaking some nuggets in some see if that works.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Have you tried just giving him the bowl of it in a "normal" place? If I put my two on top of the cooker they prob wouldn't eat either.

Just pop it down in front of him like you would as normal.

Also, my understanding is he shouldn't be able to clamp his mouth closed at the sides. That gap behind his front teeth should remain when he tries.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:33 pm

You are better slipping the tip of the syringe behind their front teeth. There is a natural gap between their incisors and their molars and that is where you introduce the syringe.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Tried the sides, hence the mess, no energy to wash himself but plenty to keep things out his mouth. He sat on the work top eating a bowl of food fine, its water (fluids) he wont touch out a bowl, charlie is opposite he prefers a bowl. He likes it so problem solved Smile fingers crossed it gives him some energy.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks for your support, didnt realise it could go wrong way easily. Usually just wet there lips so they lick it off, but he actually loved it, moved my knees to lift him a bit but not enough. Will try what Nicky said with the pinacur he deffo doesnt like that wont take it willingly.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:49 pm

I found mine would take Panacur if I spread it onto a bit of cereal or a piece of veg. I had a cereal called Malt Wheaties which are like little squares and I spread it on there. It sinks in and they eat the square and the Panacur. Never had any problem with it.

Did you vet give you Panacur for him after the appointment?
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:01 pm

Yeah she gave him it, but doesnt expect it to make a difference, long shot but worth a try, so shes not billed me for it, only billed me half the consultation fee which was unexpected, we have that cearial for the kids, didnt think it was safe for the buns, cos o the additives etc. would it soak into his pellets.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm saddened o hear this. Deffinately get a 2nd oppinion or 3rd! Mega get well bibs are on the way!!! Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs 
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:05 am

Cant really get second opinions here from other practices, hes registered with local vet so the rest refuse to register or even look at them, my dads dog was dying we we needed one to help her by pts she couldnt breath & was in soo much pain, it was her time but it was painfull, but it was out of hours, he couldnt afford to ambulance her to glasgow, the vet in falkirk refused to even help her, we eventually found one willing to help only because she was in so much pain the vet could hear her in the background, as a one off. I will book in with stephen but I am sure he shares this diagnosis based on floppys past. The girl that rescued them wasnt sure why the put floppy in the group to be distroyed, she did notice he was older than the rest, its possible the breeders knew. Regardless, we have has 18/20 months so far full of love, we will continue to give him critical care as long as its needed, he seems to have more energy already from one day on the ccf, cheeky wee minx refused the syringe, so I soaked his food in it instead. Hes getting extra feeds away from his wife, 2 small feeds mixed in with the ccf, hopefully that gives him the boost in energy to clean himself.
As with the concerns of how I was trying to syringe feed him, i spoke to my friend who works (branch manager on maternity leave) in pets at home & her mum is an embassador for bunny welfare, she thinks everyone miss understood how i was doing it, letting him lick it off the syringe wont choke him, pushing it very slowly so he could lick it up as it spills out, miss led everyone to think i was actually squirting it in his mouth, which i wasnt doing as I am aware this isnt safe. I try to sit him up a bit to prefent the trance which seemed to help as he was deffo wanting the syringe.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 am

Lynn the concerns were because the photo you posted showed Floppy on his back. The concerns are

1. When they are on their backs the liquid - even when licked off the syringe - can go down the wrong way and end up on the lungs which would can cause breathing difficulties and pneumonia. You would not drink lying down on your back and neither should Floppy. Any force feeding should be done with the bun up the right way and horizontal. Anyone who says otherwise is talking out of their tail in my opinion.

2. Being on your back as a prey animal put you in a position of fear and vulnerability. Even when not in a trance it causes buns distress it is not something we advise people to do.

I would point out that we on the forum we are all ambassadors for rabbit welfare and the advice you have been given here is from people with a lot of knowledge and experience in rabbit keeping and welfare issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 am

I can only agree with what Cheryl has said here Thumbs Up 
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:07 am

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Lynn the concerns were because the photo you posted showed Floppy on his back. The concerns are

1. When they are on their backs the liquid - even when licked off the syringe - can go down the wrong way and end up on the lungs which would can cause breathing difficulties and pneumonia. You would not drink lying down on your back and neither should Floppy. Any force feeding should be done with the bun up the right way and horizontal. Anyone who says otherwise is talking out of their tail in my opinion.

2. Being on your back as a prey animal put you in a position of fear and vulnerability. Even when not in a trance it causes buns distress it is not something we advise people to do.

I would point out that we on the forum we are all ambassadors for rabbit welfare and the advice you have been given here is from people with a lot of knowledge and experience in rabbit keeping and welfare issues.

I had to drink on my back when broke my pelvis, not nice but nurses & drs wouldnt let me up so had to sip fluids. Looking at ceiling tiles for weeks gets boring.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:09 am

Sorry Lynn, that doesn't excuse feeding a bun on his back.
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Vibe top up for Floppy and you too Lynn!  Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs 

When adopting a rescue it's impossible to teally know what you are getting into. Thumper was much older than the 2 years we were told. Sweet Rory is still so afraid of men in hats and even men in general.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next