Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A worrying weekend.

+8
NickieM
Big Ears
Father Jack
KatieB
Sparky
gentl
FluffSlave
Sixer
12 posters

Go down

A worrying weekend. Empty A worrying weekend.

Post by Sixer Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Spring was uninterested in food on Saturday morning and looked miserable so off to the vet's we went, especially after she was hospitalised for five days less than a month ago. I had already zantaced and metacamed her so the vet gave her some metaclop as there was nothing else untoward to be seen/felt. Thankfully by tea time and two syringe feeds later she was back to normal.

Then on Sunday BJ was the same - miserable and uncomfortable. As he doesn't get stressed by being indoors I kept him in after I had given him some meds. He felt very cold and seemed to appreciate having his tummy against me. After syringe feeding him and when he felt warmer I took him back to Rosie along with three heat pads. When I checked on him an hour later he was much perkier and was nibbling some hay and then later tucked into his tea with gusto.

It cannot be a coincidence both bunnies being off at the same time. There was nothing untoward in their litter trays before or after and they have not been given anything different at all as far as food goes. I can only assume that something affected them but as to what I have no idea. I am just so relieved they are now fine, my stress levels were going through the roof.

I am in awe of those of you coping with more than one poorly bun at a time.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

A worrying weekend. Empty Re: A worrying weekend.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:34 pm

What have they been eating. I know Maysie said quite a while back that she felt that there were issues with the way that the greens were being stored at the local supermarket and this was causing problems in the buns.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:35 pm

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rubbish weekend, but glad to hear that Spring and BJ are both back to normal now Hugs

I second that. I am so stressed at the moment about Willow, goodness knows how people look after multiple poorly bunnies, some of them with ongoing illnesses.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:42 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:What have they been eating. I know Maysie said quite a while back that  she felt that there were issues with the way that the greens were being stored at the local supermarket and this was causing problems in the buns.

Tesco spring greens has been pinpointed as a likely cause. Interestingly both Spring and BJ are my greediest rabbits and bolt their food down. I don't know if this may be a contributary factor. I have cut right down on the greens for now.

It has also been suggested that a fox/predator may have spooked them. Despite living alongside the moors I have never seen/heard a fox. I am sure there must be plentiful prey out on the moors to occupy foxes, and especially now our garden has been fenced off at the back. There has been an owl in the back garden recently though.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:48 pm

How worrisome! I'm glad they are better. Sending some get well vibes for Spring and BJ! And some  Hugs for you!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:45 pm

How very scary, I am glad they are both better now.

We completely stopped feeding spring greens, as did the Tuckerbunnies - I think we suspected either the way they were stored or something they spray on them. We did notice they were often 'waxy' and that whatever this was did not easily wash off. After some teeth and sticky bottom problems over the late summer, we have cut veg right down, use more herbs instead of veg and just try to keep them eating mountains of hay, which they all do. Except me  Smile
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:45 pm

God what a worry !

I've just brought a loa do spring greens from tesco ... I think I'll chuck them and get some from the co-op tomorrow just in case.

I'm glad they are both better hunni - sending them done nose rubs xxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 pm

We don't get spring greens at all now. In fact our veg ration is almost non-existent  Crying or Very sad All thanks to one or two lops who shall remain nameless (but between them one has no front teef and the other is a big orange thing) having sticky poops. But we do get extra hay so that's something.
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Katieb wrote:God what a worry !  

I've just brought a loa do spring greens from tesco ... I think I'll chuck them and get some from the co-op tomorrow just in case.  

I'm glad they are both better hunni - sending them done nose rubs xxx

It's a worry isn't it. I'm trying to get greens from Morrisons until the Tesco greens improve. It might not be the spring greens at all but if we are blaming them  .... Anakin had a stasis episode 28 December and then Elijah managed to ruin the on-call vet's New Year's Eve  Embarassed with another stasis episode. Both, plus Esme and Barnaby have been turning their noses up at Tesco spring greens since then so I am wondering if they are the culprit.  The greens are nearly always from Lincolnshire and are quite floppy leaves this latest batch are from Cornwall and much thicker leaves so whether it is the cabbage itself or the chemicals .. or not even the greens at all... Does seem a coincidence though.

Thinking about it even more - Elijah on arrival at the vets had a blood glucose reading of 16 which is not unusual for him when having a bellyache.  Anakin's blood glucose was only 9 though so I'm wondering if they did even have the same cause for their bellyaches.   scratch

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:37 pm

I nipped into Tesco's this morning - none of the bags of spring greens looked 'nice'. I think in future I will look for some elsewhere given all the above posts.

Herbie and Hollie have been leaving their greens and eating everything else in their veg bowl over the last few days so I am pretty much convinced now that the Tesco greens are to blame. I wonder if Tesco's would like to pay the £500 that is Spring's contribution to my credit card bill  Hmmm 
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Sixer wrote:I nipped into Tesco's this morning - none of the bags of spring greens looked 'nice'. I think in future I will look for some elsewhere given all the above posts.

Herbie and Hollie have been leaving their greens and eating everything else in their veg bowl over the last few days so I am pretty much convinced now that the Tesco greens are to blame. I wonder if Tesco's would like to pay the £500 that is Spring's contribution to my credit card bill  Hmmm 

Sad Sad  I feed spring greens as their main veg and 90% of the time I get them from Tesco. (I only have Tesco and Morrisons to choose from). We go months without problems then have a spate of gassy bunnies. I think this chemical problem must be intermittant. Funny thing is when I looked at the greens in the bags for the last couple of weeks they look green and 'healthy' but the buns really aren't being enthusiastic for them. I'm sure they know something I don't (or at least worked it out quicker than I did Laughing ) I got [M] greens today and they look paler but okay. I also feed cavelero nero (black kale) a few times a week but it's a fair bit more expensive and I'm assuming quite a bit higher in calcium for a 'main' veg.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:21 pm

For another dark green leafy veg at a similar price, try curly kale - we've all been fine on it but then we do only get a tiny amount.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:43 pm

When my guys used to eat veg, Curly Kale was one of their favourites Very Happy
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 pm

I think the weather has a lot to do with it as well. If the greens are picked wet and then chilled they are just not as appetising. Last year greens went through a period where I found them really inedible as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:00 pm

C&A are preferring Kale at the moment...well - they tuck into that first anyway!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:36 pm

Sasha gets Tesco Spring Greens as her main veg - I have always used them - and have never had a problem. She doesn't ever turn her nose up at them and they are always the first thing that she eats. It is very strange. I shall be keeping a close eye on her to just to check that nothing has changed, but to date I can't see anything different.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:34 pm

What a worry for you all!!

I'm counting my blessings that Molly and Junior don't even like spring greens!

Curly kale, broccoli and cauliflower leaves are what they get mostly, with occasional carrot tops when I can get them. They are fussy bunnies, but they get through LOADS of hay. Which is fine by me Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Eight hope Spring is better today. Sending vibes!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi guys, sorry I have not been AFK for a while, will post an explanation shortly.

I wonder if that is why Dougal had the thicker white calcium wee problem. I buy mainly dried herbs now and just yesterday got an order of them from hay experts, the blackcurrant leaves, birch, chamomile etc. Dougal does not like the Blackcurrant ones yet but some things he does take a while to warm up to and like. Especially new things unless it is something like banana or dandelion which he did not hesitate with at all when he first had those  Laughing Laughing .

Hudad said to cut down his veg, he had some every day but never in masses but enough for him to enjoy and only small bits of certain veg. I think veg form anywhere these days does not last long at all, short shelf lives. I notice it all the time, get veg in and fruit and they go off so fast, especially bananas and we shop online at tesco most the time now too. I noticed their bagged herbs have not been as good either. We only give Dougal veg a couple of times a week now and sometime not at all in a week. It is really worrying. I think the herbs I am trying him with now the ones from hay experts and bags of dandelion and plantain etc are way better for him and his wee is not as thick and white. Sometimes it is more than others but not as bad as when he was having more veg.Besides he did fine without veg and kept nice and healthy for 7 months before he went on any so he will be fine with the odd piece and some once or twice a week rather than every day like we are doing now. Better for him I reckon, like Sparky said.

I will get veg somewhere else from now on when he is having it then, Lidl always seems pretty good for veg, I will not by form aldi as the cabbage has flies in and put me off.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:13 pm

Ooh, I spotted The Hay Experts new range of dried herbs. I will be stocking up when I get paid.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:07 pm

What a horrid time for you love, there is no worry as bad as a bun worry.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:23 am

we use Kale now although it made Daisy ill when she was younger she is fine on it now. They have hated the windy wet weather and we have thrown out so much hay as its hard to keep it dry.

Hope they're feeling better now!
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum