Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vibes for Daisy UD: Daisy back home

+5
Sparky
BugsBunny
KatieB
c.bolduan
paullp
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vibes for Daisy UD: Daisy back home - Page 2 Empty Re: Vibes for Daisy UD: Daisy back home

Post by FluffSlave Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:25 am

I'm sending loads of vibes for Daisy and you Hugs

Please keep us updated xx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Daisy UD: Daisy back home - Page 2 Empty Re: Vibes for Daisy UD: Daisy back home

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:42 am

I wonder if they caught her tongue when they did the dental as if she was awake she probably was stressed and wriggling a bit ? Our vet would not do a dental without GA the nethies all have light GA's.

Sending lots of 'Good healing' Vibes for Daisy xxxxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Vibes for Daisy!!
Sorry I misunderstood. When I stated that my vet in Germany did bunny teeth without GA I meant insissors clipping, and not dental work on the back teeth.
The thought of having this done without strong sedation??? Better GA is at least disturbing.
Agree with Katie in suggesting to see a different Vet???

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Loads of vibes for Daisy Hugs Hugs Hugs 

I agree you probably need to find a better vet or at least have an in-depth discussion with this one about acceptable practices on your buns.

c.bolduan wrote:Vibes for Daisy!!
Sorry I misunderstood. When I stated that my vet in Germany did bunny teeth without GA I meant insissors clipping, and not dental work on the back teeth.
The thought of having this done without strong sedation??? Better GA is at least disturbing.
Agree with Katie in suggesting to see a different Vet???
To be honest, the thought of incisors being clipped at all horrifies me, even more so on a conscious bun  Sad
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:36 pm

I think it is strange too to have any dental work done without any GA , I would see another vet too hun and I am sending mega vibes for sweet Daisy.

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs 
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Sparky,
I have witnessed it.
And either I didn't judge it right bein about 10-12 years old or it was as I perceived it.
My bunnie was sitting on my lap. Vet gently opened his mouth already cutters in other hand. Sni snap that was it.
I don't think a full GA would have been better.
If wrong I do apologise to Sajosha the first love of my life.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:54 pm

c.bolduan wrote:Sparky,
I have witnessed it.
And either I didn't judge it right bein about 10-12 years old or it was as I perceived it.
My bunnie was sitting on my lap. Vet gently opened his mouth already cutters in other hand. Sni snap that was it.
I don't think a full GA would have been better.
If wrong I do apologise to Sajosha the first love of my life.

I know it still goes on, but I do think it is a terrible practice. I have heard many horror stories of buns coming to harm through having their incisors clipped while conscious, even by a 'professional'.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Clipping.htm
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:55 pm

I hope she is OK hun.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Daisy is back, she has been eating at the vet but then she would as she was on metacam.

She had a GA and on inspection she had sharp areas right at the back which they couldn't get to without GA. Thankfully they have managed to do the dental work and Daisy has come out of the anaesthetic. Patch was with her at the vet to look after her (eat her food too I should think), he seems fine.

Now we are back home Daisy seems a bit lethargic, is this normal?

She will start more metacam tomorrow, I have been told to give the dose for a 7.5kg dog! The syringe is calibrated in kg of dog rather than in ml.

She is nibbling hay so that is good. I really hope she continues to be ok this time and that it isn't just because of painkillers that she is able to eat and that it is because the dental work actually did something good.

She will go back next Friday for a post dental check up.

Thank you for all the vibes!

Also, I asked about the dental without GA and they said they only do it when very minor work needs to be done and although the rabbit can't move their head, they can move their tongue around.
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:01 pm

I'm glad she is home.

I would think that now they have found the other spurs she will be fine.

I'm still completely horrified they would do any dental work without a GA.

The Metacam doses are quite high in order for them to work for buns, how much does she weigh?

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Also , sending her a cuddle :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:12 pm

She is 2.2kg. Are there any tips for looking after her? I was told to give the metacam with food, she she eat breakfast then be syringed the metacam or should it go on the food? I should think Patch will get it if it goes on the food though!

They will both get lots of hay, can they still have 9 o'clock teach n treat? It usually has 2 carrotys each for them.

I have put their heating on so they are at about 15 deg C where they sleep.

Both patch and daisy will get lots of cuddles!
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:24 pm

At the moment, getting her to eat lots is more important than what she eats, so I would give her lots of her favourites to get her tum turning over.  Metacam is tasty so she may lick it straight off the syringe (mine all do).  Deffo syringe it though she needs to get the whole dose inside her and might not get it all on the food.

I am told that for buns the dosage for Metacam is 5 times as much, twice as often which means at 2.2 kilos she can potentially have an 11 kilo dog dose twice daily so you are still in safe limits at 7.5 kilo dose. I would make sure she has her dose twice a day.  

You are doing the right thing keeping her warm, keep an eye on her poos make sure that she is passing ok, and that she has plenty of fluids.

She will be sleepy tonight but should be brighter by tomorrow xx

Last edited by Katieb on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:29 pm

You can just syringe in the metacam. Most buns love it so once she has it once or twice she will likely take it without complaint. Or you can squirt it into something like a mini shredded wheat and give Patch a dry one to combat the food theft.

I agree with the others about the GA issue. I think my vet would laugh for a long time if you suggested that Bruce had a dental without any sedation as he will put his tongue in the way to obscure the vet's view of his back teeth. No to mention, as you have found out, that vets need to get a full view of the teeth in order to get rid of all problems in one go. Bruce's spurs are often quite small, so easily missed, but terribly sharp. Often Bruce does not require a full GA, just a light sedation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:33 pm

As an addition to Katie's post. If you are not comfortable giving the large dose twice a day you can always split it into two smaller doses. But I agree with the twice a day bit.

Not that I am disagreeing with Katie but I am aware that the dosing of metacam in rabbits can be quite a hot topic between vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:03 pm

I am sending lots of healing and eating vibes for her hun.

Have you got any fibreplex, I think it is called that? Dougal loved this, I gave it him twice just to help him and boost his fiber intake after his neuter as he was not eating much at first. It seemed to help a lot and with Dougal being a bun that normally hates anything meds wise or helping wise he loved the taste a lot, he hates metacam, he will only have it squirted into a piece of banana, another thing he would eat when he was a bit off form it. If she has a favorite fruit as long as mot too much, try her with that and favorite treats. I know it was not dental but it was a good way to kick start him back into eating hay and normally and getting him pooping properly again.

I do hope she recovers well.

I agree with the others about not having GA though, it made me cringe and feel pain in my jaw just looking at the pictures on the link Sparky put in her post.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:35 pm

I do have some fibreplex, I will start her on some tonight.

She is eating and pooing but still smaller ones than is usual for her and not as many. She has more energy today and enjoyed free ranging in the garden  Love 
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:39 pm

It takes a little while for their little tums to recover xx

Keep giving her her faves to nibble on, sounds like she is getting there though x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:33 pm

Sending lots of Vibes for Daisy and I agree with Katie it does take time for their tummies to recover , it can be a week after wee Fudge has had a dental before he will start eating normal again we have to syringe feed him till he starts to eat for himself x

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Lots of vibes for Daisy, I hope she has had a good day  Hugs Hugs Hugs 
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:31 pm

More vibes for Daisy,
How is she tonight?

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm sending a vibe top up for Miss Daisy Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Thank you all for your kind wishes  Very Happy  Daisy seems back to normal today and is back to eating faster than Patch, he has always eaten in a leisurely way! Although she seems normal I am still a bit worried as she was ok this time last week after the first dental.

Patch's sneezing seems to have started again though, he got some fibreplex on his nose last night and didn't like it
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Glad to hear she is munching well :-).
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:15 pm

I'm glad Daisy is doing well Very Happy

I'm sending top-up vibes for Daisy, and lots of no-sneezing vibes for Patch Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next