Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supplements for senior bunnies

5 posters

Go down

Supplements for senior bunnies Empty Supplements for senior bunnies

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:34 pm

I was just wondering if its worth putting Marley on some supplements when he comes home. He will be 6 later this year, and he doesnt seem like an old rabbit at all to me, but there seems to be a lot of talk about senior buns and diets on Facebook at the moment and it got me thinking again.

What are the most common problems in older buns? I keep wondering about these oxbow supplements, as they seem to have good reviews, but I wouldnt know which one to go for, or if he really needs it, and in which case, will it do more harm than good? Also, what about mature food (the SS one)? I was considering this a while ago, but someone told me not to bother and that it actually increases the risk of them developing something...i cant for the life of me remember what this person ways saying now, but I know she was a very experienced bunny person, and I generally trust her advice.

What are your thoughts?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Supplements for senior bunnies Empty Re: Supplements for senior bunnies

Post by Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:44 pm

Well I think 6 is not mature for a nethie.

Bruce and Flo have some mature food in their mix of different pellets and they love them. But I put them on mature before selective increased their fibre content and I was looking for something lower in protein and higher in fibre. Bruce has had mature since he was 6 and he is now 10 and looking blimmin good. So on that basis I recommend it. He also has the oxbow joint supplement which he loves.

I have seen people say that mature foods cause stomach upsets, but I have seen as many say it cures it. All I know is that Bruce has a sensitive stomach and it does not upset him.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Well I think 6 is not mature for a nethie.

Bruce and Flo have some mature food in their mix of different pellets and they love them. But I put them on mature before selective increased their fibre content and I was looking for something lower in protein and higher in fibre. Bruce has had mature since he was 6 and he is now 10 and looking blimmin good. So on that basis I recommend it. He also has the oxbow joint supplement which he loves.

I have seen people say that mature foods cause stomach upsets, but I have seen as many say it cures it. All I know is that Bruce has a sensitive stomach and it does not upset him.
Thanks Smile That was something else I was going to say, 6 doesnt seem that old, but im told its heading into the senior stage..? Either way, I was also told that starting it around this time gives the best results long term? How true it is, I dont know!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:57 pm

Myrtle is 6 and was slowing down a bit, she is now on oxbow joint support and she is like she when we first adopted her!  I was impressed with that so put Patch on the immune support and he seems better now, he did have antibiotics too though.
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Daisy is six in May - I've been wondering the same thing. The problem us that he is soooo fussy with food!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks Paullp for that Smile

Katieb wrote:Daisy is six in May - I've been wondering the same thing.  The problem us that he is soooo fussy with food!

I suppose its always worth a try. Maybe I will wait until I start to notice a difference.....
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:22 am

I have a funny feeling the excel mature is being discontinued (I have emailed burgess to ask).

I do feel that generally the supplements are better than the food as the supplement does actually contain a therapeutic dose of Glucosamine. Not all the foods contain glucosamine but those that do have quite a low amount in so you'd have to feed a huge amount of pellets to have a beneficial effect (and your bun would become obese which will slow it down anyway!).

Most of the mature foods have reduced the protein levels in the foods as the older bun does not need so much energy and will find it harder to process. Since the mature foods were launched on the market the adult foods have changed their protein to fibre ratios anyway so Science selective adult has a ratio of 14% protein and 25% fibre whereas the mature has 12% and 22%. Supreme also claim that the mature is lower in sugars (which I assume is the lack of beet pulp that is in the adult). The mature foods also claim better palatability to keep the appetite stimulated in the older bun.

I think it is really quite difficult to work out what the rabbits think. As you all know I feed a mix of different pellets and what I find if I scatter feed is that the selective adult goes first then the selective mature and then the excel light and the oxbow and excel mature goes last. But that may not be due to taste - the order they are eaten is also in order of size SS adult being the biggest and oxbow and excel mature being quite small. I find the pigs also shun the smaller food if they can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 am

Thank you for suggesting this as a topic. It has made me think. Hollie and Rosie will be 7 in the next couple of months and Gabe must be 7 later in the year. If info about BJ is correct then he must be 8 later in the year.

I use Oxbow pellets and they all have only been on these with me. They get a few profibre pellets at supper time too. I will certainly look at the supplements now.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:28 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I have a funny feeling the excel mature is being discontinued (I have emailed burgess to ask).

That's a shame! Thumper really enjoyed it*!

*When she wasn't playing funny ******* Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down