Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question about Hay for Pets - U/D: Love The Timothy Hay Co

+3
KatieB
Thumper2001
FluffSlave
7 posters

Go down

A question about Hay for Pets - U/D: Love The Timothy Hay Co Empty A question about Hay for Pets - U/D: Love The Timothy Hay Co

Post by FluffSlave Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:51 am

Hi guys Wave

I've unfortunately lost the supply of my sister's stables big farm bales which were gorgeous hay and only £4 a bale until winter comes around again. So in the mean time I am thinking of switching them back to Hay For Pets stuff...

They used to eat the Ings hay and they loved it, but my chinchillas also have a couple of handfuls out of the hay a day and they love stalky hay and will pretty much refuse anything else. So I was just wondering:

1) How stalky is the Ings hay?

2) Does anyone have buns who like/prefer the Timothy & Rye as this is what I imagine my chinnies would go for...

Thanks guys Hugs

Last edited by FluffSlave on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

A question about Hay for Pets - U/D: Love The Timothy Hay Co Empty Re: A question about Hay for Pets - U/D: Love The Timothy Hay Co

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:44 am

Funny you should post this because I just ordered some Ings for the first time in ages!!!

From memory, the Ings is not stalky at all. More grass-like than stalky. But very green.

Molly and Junior devoured the sample we got of Timothy and Rye but when I ordered a big bag they wouldn't eat it No If I remember rightly Florence and Dougal did the same with the Ings Laughing

T&R was def more stalky though.

I've probably not been much help! Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

A question about Hay for Pets - U/D: Love The Timothy Hay Co Empty Re: A question about Hay for Pets - U/D: Love The Timothy Hay Co

Post by FluffSlave Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:08 pm

No, you have - thanks.

I can see myself ordering both for the spoiled little furries... Rolling Eyes Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 pm

We have ings cos none of them are keen on stalky .... Fussy devils.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:57 pm

Dougal never took to Ings, he is a posh stalky hay bunny. I have to get oxbow western timothy hay, he too is fussy, he will not do soft or brown. Has to be green and stalky.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:03 pm

Mine have both. They go in waves of what they prefer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:37 pm

We have just started using The Timothy hay company and it was delivered on Wednesday and it's beautiful and the bunnies love it  Smile 

http://www.timothyhay.co.uk/

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Inks appears more like grass. Mine get it as a treat alternating with ready grass. Generally I give Timothy and green oat hay mix and they love it!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:29 pm

c.bolduan wrote:Inks appears more like grass. Mine get it as a treat alternating with ready grass. Generally I give Timothy and green oat hay mix and they love it!
Mine love burns green oat hay but it's just too expensive to feed them as a staple hay. I found it in a pet shop in town and it's nearly £6 a bag Shocked It's not even 500g if I remember rightly! They get a handful as a treat most evenings.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:23 am

Thank you all for contributions - it seems a mixed bag and I'll just see how they like the Timothy & Rye and if not the chinchillas will probably end up with their own bag! Rolling Eyes

I am going to check out The Timothy Hay company before I order from HFP though - thanks Maysie Very Happy
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:38 pm

I use The Timothy Hay company now too. The last bag of Ings I bought was mostly ignored.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:57 pm

I've just ordered 10kg of hay from The Timothy Hay company so we'll see what they make of that. It had fabulous reviews though so I'm hoping it will suit my fussy chinchillas and Mojo as he just never seems to eat enough to me although he is fine. It's possibly because Willow is a total hay monster and always has been...

How long would you be expecting 10kg to last between two rabbits? I know Willow is a bit bigger than norm but I'd say Mo is a bit smaller than norm so it sort of averages out. I just want to work out if it's going to be economical...
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:54 pm

Our Ings was delivered this morning. It's snore stalky than I remember. It's VERY green Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:28 pm

I went with the 10kg from The Timothy Hay company which I started them on on Tuesday and I am amazed Very Happy

The chinchillas who are extremely fussy little critters devour every last blade over the course of the day and are ready for a top up again come the evening. They love it.

The buns also adore it and are consuming huge amounts. I've never seen Mr Mo munch his way through so much hay or produce golden poops like he is at the moment. They are both pooping pure gold Laughing

Overall I'm really impressed at how good the quality of the hay is for the price. I think it's safe to say it's withstood the 'novelty test' and they all still adore it - finally, a hay that works for all!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:34 pm

FluffSlave wrote:I went with the 10kg from The Timothy Hay company which I started them on on Tuesday and I am amazed Very Happy

The chinchillas who are extremely fussy little critters devour every last blade over the course of the day and are ready for a top up again come the evening. They love it.

The buns also adore it and are consuming huge amounts. I've never seen Mr Mo munch his way through so much hay or produce golden poops like he is at the moment. They are both pooping pure gold Laughing

Overall I'm really impressed at how good the quality of the hay is for the price. I think it's safe to say it's withstood the 'novelty test' and they all still adore it - finally, a hay that works for all!

Our buns love it and I ordered it and it arrived like the day after so great service as well  Smile 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down