Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheryl and other piggy experts

2 posters

Go down

Cheryl and other piggy experts  Empty Cheryl and other piggy experts

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Patch isn't very well,on Friday she was having a wee and I also noticed she had a lump on her nose, on Saturday morning I phoned the vets and made an appointment , they gave her an injection and gave me some medicine to give her, and had to go back on Monday, took her back on Monday and the vet said we may have to pts,as she's not really eating or drinking, I asked if they was anything else they could do,they said they could give her a steroid injection to help her gain her appitite back, she won't touch her pellets but she has ate some hay and I've put some herbs in and she has nibbles them a little, I've been back today and the vet said that to give her a few more days and hope her appetite comes back, her eating something is better than nothing, there not concerned about the lump on her nose, they have felt her belly and can feel no lumps in there, they have also checked her teeth and they are fine,they have felt again today and they have said her belly is very empty, is there anything I can give her that will increase her appitite,I need her to improve for Thursday
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Cheryl and other piggy experts  Empty Re: Cheryl and other piggy experts

Post by FluffSlave Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:51 pm

I am surprised they've been so hasty to suggest PTS. Are there no further investigations they can do first?

One of my guinea pigs once stopped eating and drinking for days and it turned out she had a nasty UTI. Throughout those days I syringe fed her water, Critical Care and Ella's Kitchen baby food, just as you would a bunny. Is there any way you can try this? Smile

Also I'd say the best thing to encourage a piggy to eat for themselves is a nice big pile of her favourite fresh veg.

Sending lots of vibes for Patch Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:23 pm

They were thinking it was a uti but he was just worried that she wasn't eating or drinking, since I posted I've givin her some mint and then a few apple leaves and she started to munch, so then I went out and got her so e grass and she munched her way through and I've just gone out and got another big handful and she's started to eat that now, I've just found some critical care, so will give her some of that too, thank you fluffslave
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:47 pm

You can try metatone. It is a human vitam b supplement that can stimulate appetite. The dose is 0.5ml a day for one week then 0.3ml. You can buy it in chemists and larger supermarkets. The cause of the loss of apetite could just be the warmer weather.

Bear in mind that vets have different specialties - your rabbit vet may be good but they may have a vet that knows more about pigs.

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Ok, thank you Cheryl,going to the shops tomorrow, so will go and get some
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down