Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New To Happy Hoppers!

+7
KatieB
jolovesbunnies
Sparky
Tuckerbunnies
Velvet.Tears
Thumper2001
The Snowman
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New To Happy Hoppers! Empty New To Happy Hoppers!

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:48 am

Hello Everyone  Wave

I find myself here after a recent new addition to our family...   "Sebastian" our 15 week old beautiful Netherlands Dwarf!  albino

A few years ago, when our youngest daughter was 6 years old, she became fascinated by rabbits, always wanting to visit pets corner! She longed for pet rabbits and asked constantly  Love .  We explained all the things you need to do for a rabbit and that she was a little too young but maybe when she was older.  For her 7th Birthday, still she longed for rabbits but understood the need to wait. She made do with two very realistic soft plush toy rabbits in a toy wooden hutch!

But this was no short term fad.... fast forward to age 10 the longing for a rabbit continued. Our daughter bought herself two books about rabbits "understand and caring for your pet" etc.   She studied them and became extremely knowledgeable about diet, exercise, handling and even about "checking bottoms"!!  So, after also reading the books, we made a deal..  for every £1 my daughter could save towards accommodating rabbits, we would double it.  My daughter save her pocket money and money given at Christmas and finally in January with our help, had enough.

Soon after arrived a 6ft Liberta Dartmoor Hutch with Permanent Sedgemoor run (almost 8ft) and everything you could possibly need including tunnels and toys!  Everything was ready! On January 10th my daughter and husband returned home with "Sebastian"  Once home...my daughter was in tears.... happy, happy tears...... after waiting so long, I don't think she could quite believe it!  She gets up earlier everyday to spend time with him before school and carry out daily tasks xx

Sebastian has settled well, is very friendly and is getting to know and trust our family.  He charges around the run, dashing through tunnels and cardboard castles and chooses when to return to his hutch. We have plans to extend his exercise area and have purchased a 12ft pipe, 4ft pipe and connectors as we hope to add an additional full height run (12ft x 8ft x 6ftH) soon. Having the full height will mean our daughter can sit comfortably in the run and Sebastian can come and see her! She is finding sitting in the current run a squash and a squeeze!!  Sebastian is having his injections tomorrow  Sad   and our vets will carry out castration at 6 months.  After this time, we shall find Sebastian a female bunny friend to bond with.  We all spends lots of time with him, we give him lots to do... but you can see he would love a bunny friend xx
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

New To Happy Hoppers! Empty Re: New To Happy Hoppers!

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:19 pm

Hello and welcome Wave

Sounds like you have a very responsible little girl on your hands. You must be very proud of her!

Looking forward to getting to know you and little Sebastian, and his future wife Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi and welcome to happy hoppers. It's good to hear your daughter has taken the responsibility so seriously. It certainly sounds as if she has done her research well. I think that with all that research she will find rabbits to be rewarding pets. However I am aware, from experience, that the books have lots of gaps or lack detail where you really need it. We have loads of experience here on the forum so if you or your daughter have any questions or wish to share your experiences good or bad then we would be delighted to hear them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:44 pm

I am also going to just add in that you don't need to wait until 6 months to neuter these days. The Rabbit welfare association also have a complete (and up to date) guide to rabbit care which I am sure you and your daughter would like if you haven't already seen it.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=E5-_VNixK5XZasznguAN&url=http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAbrochuremaster.pdf&ved=0CCEQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNHGxi92hIi6vhezmXDWRe1WD_MN2w&sig2=pYhr6fdfQmr2eQGEeK9Kxw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:04 pm

Thank You so much.  Our daughter loves the responsibility and is a very sensible young lady.   She is supervised without really realising it! As a family, we are all prepared to support her and take responsibility when necessary.

I have no doubt we will need to call upon your expertise and experience in the future and ask lots of questions! Its great to find out so much already from lurking on Happy Hoppers.

Thank You also for the additional info... to be honest I did think we could neuter earlier than 6 months and thought Seb could get a friend sooner, but I guess its just our Vets policy?? When he has his injection tomorrow, I will ask more about it.
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Welcome to HH Wave
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Thank You Velvet Very Happy
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:01 pm

Hello and Welcome to the forum Wave

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi Tucker... I took a look at your Bunny Boarding link.... wow, how fantastic!
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Hello and welcome Wave

I would advise you to try to sort out a rabbit-savvy vet before you need one (which will be at 3.15am on a bank holiday Rolling Eyes) - if you let us know what area you are in we might be able to help.

Sebastian sounds like a very lucky bunny indeed Very Happy

Has anyone asked for more pics yet? More pics! Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi Sparky....  I did try to add another photo before reading how to do it properly.. and now its says I've created a servimg.com from my board account...  Its taken my email information and they've emailed me to say I got an account...  I am worried about security now.  HELP!!  

before I new this was happening I created a photobucket account as suggested and sorted out another photo..  but the forum says I cannot add a photo link for 7 days as I am new.  more worried about my computer security..
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:05 pm

A very warm welcome to our happy family love to you and your lovely little girl. I wish all parents/children were as responsible as you have been before buying a bunny, I am so pleased she has one at last as it sounds much deserved.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi There!

A massive welcome to HH to you all!

Sebastian looks a little bit like my Nethie Daisy (who is a boy) and who (be warned) is rather badly behaved! lol.

You will find bunny ownership is very rewarding and Nethies can be very particular, and cheeky!! Daisy is 6 1/2 now and absolutely rules our house! lol

Your daughter sounds like a fabulous young lady - you must be very proud of her. I wish that all new owners took as much time to research and understand the hard work that bunnies are.

Sparky had a good bit of advice about the vet.... not all of them are bunny savvy.... we struggled to find one... but its worth finding out....also.... get the little monster insured, I have found this invaluable!

Photobucket is the way to go for piccies... its much easier. The 7 day rule is there for everyones protection really - there are some strange people out there!! But if you wanted me to put some up for you, PM me and ill send you my email addy and ill put them up for you :-)

Once again.. a massive welcome from all of us :-)

Feel free to join in the chat and if there is anything at all we can do, please let us know!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi Katieb.... so is servimg.com something to do with this site... I never wanted it, but it came from this site when I tried to upload a photo. Its a little unnerving as it got my email and sent me a message. Is servimg from here?? Please confirm.. rather worried and been frantically running scans!!
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi There!

Dont Panic. Servimg is a programme that formation recommends people use to host their pictures. if you tried to load up a picture that wasn't an IMG from another site (such as photo bucket) it has tried to set up an account for you (I'm hoping that at some point it offered you the option)

here is a little explanation I have copied from the formation site. It really isn't anything to worry about, it just allows you to post pictures here.

Servimg is an image host as there are others on the Net. It can host images of maximum size 2MB formats, bmp, gif, png, jpg and tif.
Unlike some hostings, the registration to Servimg is mandatory. Because this Registration allows you to create an account and hence can be traced all the images you upload.
Through this account, if you wish to submit a link to an image hosted some time ago, you will find your images in the links to the image, they will not be lost.

However, most of us here use photobucket.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:43 pm

does that make sense hun?

http://help.forumotion.com/t10583-servimg-tutorial

Here is the link that explains it all a lot better than i can.... but its just a hosting tool

Last edited by KatieB on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Phew!! Thank You for the reassurance.  That's ok then.   I've sorted out photobucket so will add some pictures in the near future.  

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome.. and I am loving the photos of all your lovely bunnies. My daughter loves all the photos too!
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:51 pm

No problem... anything you need to know... just drop me a line.

Very Happy
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:06 pm

I wasn't on for a day or two and eh presto lots of fantastic things happened .
A warm welcome to you and Seb!
Indeed great to see hoomins being responsible:thumb:
Give your daughter a hug from me for being a patient girl and a good humum.
There is a wealth of advice and knowledge here at the forum and I look forward to hear and see more from you.WaveVery Happy:cheers:

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:58 am

Thank You for your lovely welcome. My little lady certainly did have to be very patient. Seeing her with Seb now is so special..... she has a constant smile
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 am

Welcome to the forum!

i will second kaites advice and say make sure the little fella is insured! it so helpful as such small beasts can be so expensive!

He certainly is cute look forward to more pictures!
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks Amelia. I shall be looking in to insurance soon.
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Hello and welcome to HH Wave

Seb looks like a stunning little guy, I can't wait to see what an inevitably gorgeous pair him and his future wifey bun will make! Love

Can I also say how refreshing it is to see a family do their research and make 100% sure the child is interested before just going out and buying a bunny. He sounds to have a fabulous home and is one very lucky boy indeed. Your daughter sounds like a very responsible young lady and thanks to you, hopefully the cycle of responsible pet ownership will be continued in your family Very Happy

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There's always someone more than happy to help here, it's a lovely forum Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:44 pm

Thank You so much fluffslave. Everyone has been so welcoming and friendly. So glad I found this forum... its helped with todays drama's already Very Happy
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:22 am

Hello and welcome Wave

Sebastian is gorgeous and sounds a very lucky and spoilt little man. I echo what has been said about neutering - it can be carried out as soon as his testicles drop , usually 12 weeks onwards. Give him a few weeks for his hormones to settle down then he will good to go to find a ladybun. You may find getting jobs done around the house becomes more difficult - I can waste a goodly amount of time just watching the bunnies being bunnies together!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next