Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabled Bunny advice please

+3
KatieB
woodwench
freecycle_rabbit
7 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 2 Empty Re: Disabled Bunny advice please

Post by woodwench Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Yes, mini shredded wheat. Or, when Loll was off those I used to put it on a Carrot Cruncher treat. Just gently prise open a CC and let the metacam soak in.
The RWAF is well worth joining. They have a list of good rabbit vets as well.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Now how good can a bunny be? 
D Layla will take all her meds from a syringe sucking and biting it.ok metacam is the hit!
Hope you find a vet that's I'll support you rather than the bill!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Just thought i would update you quickly.
Not much to say, but i have spoken to a couple of vets (receptionists) both of whom say they cant say anything until they have seen Tia and had notes from the previous vets.

I have booked an appointment with one, a small independent practice, for Weds morning, so will see where things go from there.

Will keep you posted xx
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2012-11-16

https://folksy.com/shops/CustomHandmade

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Hope it goes well darling, everything crossed.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:09 am

Good luck to you and Tia for tomorrow Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:11 am

Good luck and keep us updated please.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Well, we saw the vet today. Not much further forward, he had notes form the last vet, and says he can only repeat the advice given before for blood tests as Metacam can cause kidney problems which can be very unpleasant and painful....
i explained that it wasn't that i didn't want the blood tests, but that i couldn't afford it, and that on Metacam she was a lot, lot better. Still weak, still very wobbly back legs, and fall over a lot, but obviously in a lot less pain as better tempered and happier in herself.
He said the concern was her quality of life at home, so i explained that apart from not being able to walk she was a happy healthy normal rabbit. She is not at risk from predators, and i am standing her up every 10 mins if needed and making sure she eats/drinks enough and generally pandering to her every whim...
so he asked what i was hoping for - a regular prescription of metacam to keep her as pain free as possible for a while longer. She may not have much time left but she is still very much enjoying life

So, the conclusion, he has given me a 10 ml bottle of Loxicom (same stuff, different brand) to continue the .61 ml a day and to go back in about a month and see how things are.
Not perfect, but we have a bit longer now and will have to think seriously as to where we go next with her. It cost me £38 today, better than the 90  for bloods but still not something i can do regularly.
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:00 pm

You are doing your very best for her and that is wonderful.  As long has she is eating and enjoying herself, she still has quality of life. Please give her a big cuddle from her auntie Jo.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:14 pm

I am glad your new vet has lengthened Tia's prescription for the Metacam. It is obviously making a big difference to her Hugs

You seem to have it just right - all of your focus is on the right thing: quality of life. You will know when Tia no longer has this and that is your call to make. No one else knows their pets as well as the people who care for them every day.

Sending lots of hugs - I know what a sting even a minimal vets bill can leave. My vet swears that owning rabbits is far more expensive than owning a dog! xxx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems.
I still cannot understand why they want bloods for metacam.
One of the big (BIG) issues I had with Loll's vet last year was their refusal to give Loll more than 0.3ml metacam a day, giving the ulcerated gut and kidney problems as the reason. But there were, even then, plenty of vets who prescibed larger doses and without fear of these problems.
Upon getting Henry I changed vets and my new vet (a small animal only practice with two very knowledgable rabbit vets) assure me they would, and are, prescribing larger doses than Loll's with no side effects.
Do check RWAF membership and find out the latest metacam info.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks for the support, its good to know people are on my side, you know how it gets you begin to wonder if you are being fanatical... but i am convinced Tia has a good quality of life at the moment.
I am well aware it may not last long, that she has deteriorated quite rapidly the last few months, but she is still quite happy and 'in control' of her life. I am constantly working to find ways to make life easier for her, and she knows it. Her bonded mate Tor (nicknamed Dillon for looking stoned all the time) adores her and she him (obviously) and he will sit and chill out with her a lot of the time. As you say, only the people closest to the animal really know how things are.

I think i do need to look into RWAF membership, Tia is getting quite a good dose, but it is still the blood test thing that they worry about, where i hear some of you say your Rabbit vets say Rabbits are not as sensitive to metacm and don't need the tests like cats or dogs would... at least they might point me in the direction of a good rabbit vet in my area - hopefully.

at least she has a little longer on pain relief, and it is helping a lot.

thanks for your help
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:22 pm

If you consider joining RWAF for £20 a year you get lots of advice including rabbiting on magazine and possibility of Richard Saunders to discuss treatment options with your local vet. They seem to take his word if not bunny hoomins.
Yes you will know when she has no longer the quality of life and needs to be send to the bridge.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:25 am

Hello,
I thought i would give you an update on Tia. Sadly, it is not good news Sad

Her condition has deteriorated quite rapidly over the past 2 weeks, she is now very frail, cannot move on her own at all and has lost the use of both back legs. She and i both know she hasn't got long left, but she seems to almost have her own Bunny Bucket List. She communicates well with the look in her eyes and movements of her heads (as bunny owners you will know what i mean) and tells me where she wants to be.
My partner was going to try making her some wheels, and got the prototype made up which needed adjustments, however he is on very strong medication and has had to change it so hasn't been well enough to finish them. However, Tia will use me to hold her back legs, while she walks on her fronts - i'm crawling round the rabbit run on my knees holding Tia while she walks!
She is 're exploring' all areas of her run and hutch before she goes, revisiting her favourite spots under the apple tree and sitting for a while, propped up with a rolled up T shirt for support.
Her metacam runs out this coming weekend, so i need to book another appointment with the vet. By then it may well be time, she hasn't got long now poor Tia. Sad Sad
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Oh darling I am so very sorry to hear this, it  must be so hard for you and for her.  Lots of loves on the way, I hope they help a little.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi Jo,
Thank you. It is very hard to see her like that. Physically she is nothing, she has no use of her back legs at all, she cannot walk unaided, and with no back leg use, she cant sit up and will topple over so needs to be propped up either side by rolled up t shirts or old towels. To look at her you see the living dead. Then you look again and she is just a normal rabbit with no back legs. She has lost weight, but she cannot get to her food all the time. I am in and out of her run tending to her and putting food in front of her and she will eat quite normally and happily, and is quite cheerful mostly.
It is very hard, as i say, to see her as Tia when she has lost so much weight and cant walk, but then when you look beyond the surface, she seems just like her old self. She looks at me to help her move, to sit her up when she falls, lift her back legs when she wants to walk....
on the one hand i see her not lasting much longer, but on the other i see spark, i see a 'normal' rabbit, who's spirit is wiling, but flesh is weak. When i see that i wonder how things will pan out for her, is she going to stay around,will she put on weight, how will it work through the winter when its colder.... ?
then i worry how things will go with the vet, will they see beyond the 'living dead' rabbit, and into the spark and continue to prescribe metacam, or will they refuse and want to end it for her...
If only she could speak and tell us exactly what she was feeling...
All in all today has been a good day for her, she has 'mowed' the grass in the run, i have moved her a few times to a fresh patch as she had eaten down the bit she was in front of and now she is tucked up in bed, on a t shirt over shavings for comfort with rolls either side of her and food in front of her and has had her metacam which incidentally she has decide she prefers to have y syringe, than via shredded wheat, saying she is not that keen on shredded wheat thank you.. lol

its all so sad, i wish i had the answers for it all
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Oh  bless her and you too love, it is a very difficult situation and it is hard to know what is for the best.  As you say, if only they could tell how they are feeling and what they want to do.  It is good that she is eating, it is sometimes one of the first thing that goes when a baby has given up but as you say, she seems a strong willed little girl.  Please keep us posted and let us know how she gets on at the vet next time you take her.  You are doing all you can hunny, keeping her comfortable and knowing when she wants to be moved, how is she at going to the loo?  Has the vet given an indication of what they think should be done?

Anyway love, I am here if you want to chat, I just wish I could do more.

Hugs
Jo xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi Jo,
well it started off a few months ago with her walking and sitting in a funny manner with her hind legs almost stright under her so she was sitting on her back end, as opposed to haunches. She got unwell so i took her to a vet, who said she had urine infection, and probable arthritis (she is nearly 7), but as i was/am on a tight budget xrays, and ultrasound were out of the question so she had a small does of metacam, and antibiotics and picked up a lot and got back to her well self again.
more recently, she appeared to be in pain in her back end so another trip to the vet, who said whilst she was stiff in her back end, there also seemed to be neurological problems there too, which obviously wouldn't get better, but again on a budget i couldn't go on with expensive tests, and metacam would ease any pain it might cause, however they could only prescribe regular metacam if i were to do blood tests every 2-3 months at nearly £90 a time... so a second vet opinion was taken, at another practice, who said he could only repeat the advice of the other vet, but did give me more metacam for her and to take her back for a check up if i wanted more again... which is where we are now - about to go back.
As for going to the loo, she cant move or lift her back end to wee, so it goes all over her so regular baths are needed for that. Which sometimes she enjoys, others she says she wants to have a quick one and get it over with. Poos, she does where she is also,and any soft poos she does, useuallly in the night, i pick up and put in front of her, or turn her round to get to them and she will eat them.. Embarassed but all seems quite normal and good in that department, obviously enough going in to come out.
She doesnt appear to have given up yet. Her mate Tor was getting in the way today ( he is very protective and will always try to get in between me and her) so i picked him up and put him up on a platform in their run and he hopped off and down over some logs (bunny adventure playground) and Tia pricked her ears up watching him and started moving her front feet as if to say 'lift me up i want a go on the logs'... Smile
xx
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:49 pm

Thank you for your lovely post hunny and for keeping me updated.  I think it is marvellous what you are doing and I really hope that she does get better soon.  Tor obviously loves her very much and I think they know when another bun is poorly and either become protective as Tor is doing or become aggressive;  I am so glad he loves her.  I know vets fees are ridiculous.  A friend of mine has told me that she wanted an MRI scan for her dog and it was £2,000.  Most of these fees and charges and well out of the range of the ordinary person's pocket and I think you are doing brilliantly with what you have. I so wish I could help love, if I had the money I would gladly help out.  Please give her a big kiss and a cuddle from her Auntie Jo and tell her that Auntie Jo is thinking of her and she is in my prayers, well, you both are actually.  Thanks for keeping me updated love. Hugs

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi Jo,
Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot. We (Tia and I) have the vet on Monday, fingers crossed the vet will see the same spark and continue the metacam. I am fairly hopeful, as it should be the practice owner who when i've met her before she seemed quite down to earth. I wouldnt expect anyone to pay my vets bills, but i know what you mean, as Bunny lovers we would if we could - thank you for the thought.

Tia has been outside all day today, munching at grass in the run trying to catch up with it having been unwell and away from it for a while  Smile .   She took me for a couple of walks around while she re explored and tried to find the best place to munch - i have very muddy knees! Yes Tor is devoted to her, and will do his best to distract attention from her when i try to tend to her. Sometimes when she is out in the run now he will have a funny 5 mins running round and jumping over her back and forth before settling down next to her! Bunny Love  Love

This is a video i took of her this morning,sitting in the run with her props. She has a block of wood as back up as she is just on the edge of a slight slope where she is here.
will let you know how it goes on Monday
Hugs

freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:01 pm

You are more than welcome love and I know what you are saying but believe me, I would be only to pleased to help out if I could. Thank you for the gorgeous video, she certainly is having a good old munch I am so glad she is running around as well.  She does sound as if she is enjoying herself and that is lovely.  Tor sounds just adorable too, I would love to see him run around her and then snuggle up.  I have had bunnies snuggling in the past but I don't think I have ever witnessed any running around each other. Holly my bun tends to do it with Paul when he comes in, run around his feet but she has never done it with me.  Good luck on Monday love and I will be thinking of you and sending lots of healing and loving vibes.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Tia was even more cheerful today, as soon as i opened the hutch this morning she was wiggling to get out, so i put her in the same area as she is now but she decided as it was a bit damp she would rather be undercover.. that's great but the run was designed for rabbits to run round in, and not me to crawl around but we managed it and she got to where she wanted to be.
She had a hectic day today as she was extra wiggly and had a couple of mishaps the first i found her wiggled out of her supports and had rolled down the 18 inch slope and stuck on her back in a dip! She seemed none the worse for it, so i moved her to a safer spot (the video spot) and went back later to find her about 3 feet away, presumably having slid down again but upright and quite happy with Tor lying cross her back legs!
Tor came to me as a rescue Bunny, had been rescued by a vet nurse who picked him up from Facebook as a 'free to first to collect', she had him vaccinated and neutered but didn't keep him as he was quite bitey and she had young children. He has given up biting now he has calmed down and has Tia to love.
I will see if i can get a video of him next time he has one of his funny moments jumping over Tia, it is quite funny to watch.

I'm Alice by the way, will keep you updated Smile

freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:55 pm

That is great news love, she is obviously still enjoying her life and playing around. They are not happy unless they see mum get down on all fours for them, they love it LOL.  She likes her time with Tor, they seem very much in love and that is wonderful. Free to collect on Facebook indeed, these people want stringing up!!!  Anyway, thanks for keeping us posted love, lots of loving top up vibes are on their way.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 pm

A very cheerful bunny day today, and a very wriggly day again. In fact a 'i refuse to sit still you will walk me round the run' day. I did try to get a video of Tor jumping around her, but every time i got the camera out he stopped and looked at me with an 'i wasnt doing anything' look lol!

Found an acceptable way to bath her today, she has gone off baths since she couldn't sit up so today i put her rolls in there and she sat with her front end over one and enjoyed a bath again and got lovely and clean with it too.

Busy weekend of a big family gathering BBQ this weekend we are hosting but after this, Hubby has said he will try and do some work on getting her a cart made - will save my knees a little!

Alice
xx
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:26 pm

I am so glad to hear you have had a positive day love and it sounds as if Tia is brighter too.  That is all too common when you are trying to film them, they do everything they shouldn't.  Oh bless her, I can just imagine her sitting there with her little hands on a towel being washed.  It is probably comforting to her too if she is sore.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:52 pm

Hello,
Tia has had a lovely weekend, yesterday was a busy day for her as we had a family gathering with lots of young people wanting to go in to visit her and fuss her, so i told them all that if they wanted to see her they had to look out for her, so if she had rolled over, sit her up, hand her food, drink and generally make themselves useful to her. So she had a stream of visitors in and out tending to her every whim - she even took one girl for a walk round the run Wink.

Today we had the vets, saw the Owner who is very sensible, down to earth ad seemed to 'get it'. She says she doesn't think there is much pain now, and i am inclined to agree on that one and has cut the metacam down to 0.3 of a ml as a maintenance dose to see how it works. I had already cut down from 0.6 to 0.5 the last few days and not noticed any change.

She said she thinks it is spinal damage, probably from moving/twisting/jumping too quickly at some point and obviously is now paralysed from waist down. she checked her bum, noted that she is dripping urine, but her poos are ok and that the front end is a happy 'normal' rabbit. She said that she thought it would probably spread up her spine and get worse, and that also when muscles are not used obviously they get weak, adding to the problem.

She talked about quality of life, and agreed that it is a hard one, but as at the moment i was managing to keep her clean and fly free and that she was happy and eating well then to give her a bit longer and go back in 3 weeks. I have booked the appointment and specifically requested to see the same vet which has been noted in the diary and they will ring me if she isnt available that day.

Meanwhile Tia will, i am sure, continue to have as many people as possible wrapped around her paws Smile
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down