Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: Henry at Emergency Vets!

+2
KatieB
woodwench
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

UPDATE: Henry at Emergency Vets! - Page 2 Empty Re: UPDATE: Henry at Emergency Vets!

Post by woodwench Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:02 pm

Quick report: I'm a tad drunk due to sleep depravation, going to bed at 1am as that will fit in with his syringe feeding regime and give me my first sleep since waking on Tuesday morning .... FIVE HOURS OF ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Henry has eaten grass, dandelion leaves, mini shredded wheat a tiny bit of toast, some F L Parsley and occasionally takes a mouthful or two of hay. He's getting Rabbit Recovery every 3 to 4 hours and just ate a soft pellet! He's very sleepy and doesn't move much but he's more relaxed and lying at full stretch. It's just his stuffy nose ... nothing wrong with his airways or lungs, no runny nose or eyes, just a stuffy nose. Putting out a bowl of Vicks to help his nose.
At least I can go to bed with hope!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Henry at Emergency Vets! - Page 2 Empty Re: UPDATE: Henry at Emergency Vets!

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:07 pm

You sure can!

If I was you I'd be getting my head down between now at 1 Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:02 am

Well done Henners!

Keep it up little man Very Happy

Hugs for you Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:14 pm

He's much better today, so much so that I cancelled the vet visit for this afternoon. Felt he would benefit more from not being stressed. Called the vets and Richard agreed.

Over night he ate a Naturals Meadow Hay Cookie I had left down for him and after syringing RR this morning he gobbled up grass and dandelion leaves. He is eating his soft pellets and also eagerly devoured a Fenugreek Cruncher at lunch time. I brought in some plantain, bramble shoots, grass, dandelion leaves and hawthorn a few minutes ago and he tucked in happily. Not touching Burgess yet and not over fussed about hay ... but the  Recovery is substitute for Burgess and the hay cookie provided hay substitute.
The old nose is much improved. The occasion mild sneeze which under normal circumstances I wouldn't even think about and his breathing when I syringe fed him is normal!
Oh, how he hates the antibiotic syringing! It smells foul to me and must taste pretty rubbish too. He likes the RR and licks from the syringe but I'm dreading wrestling the next antibiotic dose into him tonight. The better he gets the stronger he struggles!
And me? I went to bed at 1am this morning and intended to get up at 6 but didn't wake till 8-30!! I was punch drunk from lack of sleep. Woke in a panic and rushed down stairs to find the messy aftermath of the cookie feast ... and I smiled!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Good on the boy!
A tip I used to draw up the medicine for Bertie in the following way.
Half of the metacam dose! 
The Baytrill, and he hated it! Wipe the syringe clean.
The other half of the metacam dose.
As it is thicker than the antibiotics it will sandwich it.
So Bertie thought ohh yummy metacam got the Baytrill in the middle but didn't mind as a top up of the nice staff came along. 
Reduced stress levels considerably!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:25 pm

I am so pleased to hear this sweetie, good boy Henry.  Waking up to a reminder of something good.  I smiled as I read it.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:26 pm

I'm so pleased Henry is on the mend cheers

Keep it up, Henry!

Glad you got some sleep, Dee Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Good idea for the antibiotic syringing Claudia, I'll file that just in case I need it in the future. Henners only had a couple of doses of metacam though; he's getting the antibiotic and syringed Recovery, though I'm only going to syringe a half measure of Recovery after the ab's from now on (just to take the taste away) as he is back eating Burgess and actively seeking food without need of tempting. He gobbled a Fenugreek Cruncher with such relish this afternoon I wanted to hug the bones of him.
There is a downside to his recovery ... on Wednesday and Thursday I was his Dear Mum, the sweet human who was saving his life .... NOW, I'm the miserable bleeding cow who's out to kill him with that foul gunk, and the interfering ***** who won't leave his fur alone!
Can't win!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 pm

He is feeling better than!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:08 am

Definitely better.... begging for toast half an hour ago and took his first swipe at my laces!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:54 pm

Laughing Laughing

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:52 pm

I'm so glad to hear he is on the mend - this is wonderful news x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 pm

At the vets this afternoon and he was given a clean bill of health .... well, Richard was pleased with how he had responded though he pointed out he needs peace and quiet and careful nursing still. I have to now watch the poo and get him back into his old feeding routine and concentrate on a hay/pellet diet with any veg/forage foods given as treats. And groom, groom, groom.... nothing new there then!
He was given a really good rear end plucking and eye-balled Richard throughout but, thankfully, refrained from having a go at him as he would have done me if I had plucked him like that. I think half of his remaining moult fur went at that session. Oh, how I wish it was all gone!
Richard checked up his nose and all was clear and no sign of infection, And his teeth are good, though he did point out a potential problem with a tooth root on his right side. But for now, no more syringing and he's to rest and de-stress..... just what I want to do to.
The best bit was the attack Henry made on my shoe laces when we got home! Oh, and no charge at the vets!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Thumbs Up Happy Dance cheers Brilliant news, keep it up Henry!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:05 pm

What fantastic news love and no charge also, I am so pleased for you.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2