Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vibes for Vernon please update after vet visit 29.9

+6
woodwench
Thumper2001
freecycle_rabbit
jolovesbunnies
KatieB
c.bolduan
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Vibes for Vernon please update  after vet visit 29.9 - Page 2 Empty Update 28.9

Post by c.bolduan Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Hello folks,
I haven't updated yet because I wasn't sure what is going on.
Since their dental last week  Vernon has not really picked up. He will eat with encouragement but slowly and little. Been on the phone to the vet every second day. We have started on metacam and that helped a little with the eating  but not with his odd behaviour. He just doesn't want to come close to me is skittish and just not him self. On Friday I gave a stat of metocloperamide as he is also in a big moult and I wanted to prevent any troubles. This morning I gave him his treat a crunchy. Normally he would take the first piece and than sit pretty with his frontlegs on my knees or running and circling around me to say mum give me more.
Today he took the piece went back in his hide eat it slowly. Then his little face perked out of the hide and he sat looking at me with his head flat on the ground.
Ok that's it Vet appointment this evening with outcome that there is still resistance in his jaws and a horrid noise. Needles to see he didn't like this. He is now booked in for tomorrow another GA x rays and maybe bloods to be taken. Could be a broken off tooth or abscess . Bob the vet pointed out that I bring food that he eats then it hurts hence from his point of view it my fault. Thank you HissyShocked
We heave doubled the metacam for tonight. 
Bubbles is absolutely fine.
So please can I ask for more vibes for the boy. I guess we both look a. Little lost.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Vernon please update  after vet visit 29.9 - Page 2 Empty Re: Vibes for Vernon please update after vet visit 29.9

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Poor Vernon Sad I really hope they can sort the problem out. Keep us posted!

That was a pretty harsh thing for your vet to say Hmmm Why wouldn't you encourage your rabbit to eat?! Were you just supposed to wonder if he was eating and wait for stasis to set in?! No
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Vernon please update  after vet visit 29.9 - Page 2 Empty Re: Vibes for Vernon please update after vet visit 29.9

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:21 pm

Come on Vernon please feel better and get back to your normal self.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:Poor Vernon Sad I really hope they can sort the problem out. Keep us posted!

That was a pretty harsh thing for your vet to say Hmmm Why wouldn't you encourage your rabbit to eat?!  Were you just supposed to wonder if he was eating and wait for stasis to set in?! No
I don't think he meant it harsh rather trying to explain Vernons change in behaviour like avoidance and withdrawl. I have got critical care in the house and will give him softer food tonight. Banana nom nom.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 pm

Buck up Vernon... we need you to well and hoppy. Hugs
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:15 am

I think that is absolute rubbish Claudia - this is not your fault. i suspect the vet is deflecting as they don't know what the issue is. It sounds to me like Daisy's behaviour when he got hus abscess.

He's had it for 5 years but we manage it with abx and pain killers.

Good luck today hun. Don't let that vet get away with and nonsense.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnybuddah Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Big vibes for Vernon, one of my rabbits I had a few years ago had to have dentals every 5/6
weeks and it was always stressful after he came back from vets kept dropping his food every
time he tried to eat and by the time he was eating ok, it was nearly time for his next dental.
It was so upsetting. But Vernon's got a lot more going on by the sound of it and it's very
difficult to stay calm when they are so poorly and they want to hide, sending lots of love to you
and Vernon.
bunnybuddah
bunnybuddah
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:35 pm

Oh no, sweet Vernon, so sorry he is not doing much better. I think the vet is rude hun, I know you do not see it that way but I have seen how loving and careful you are with him and the worry you went through when I was there.

Big hugs and gentle gentle nose rub for the wee boy.

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Vernon please update  after vet visit 29.9 - Page 2 Empty He seems brighter!

Post by c.bolduan Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:28 pm

I dropped him and Bubbles in with the surgery this morning. We got smiles when I handed their short stay bag over to the nurse. Only a few essential items:
A forage mix of three hays, ready grass and treats
A mix of pellets, ss, Fibafirst and woodlands the new one
Two toys
A spare towel just in case
A old worn sweater from mum, sorry for the smell and the holes cause by a female bun we won't name
A bottle of pet care relax spray
Mum specifically asked to be called at any time as she deep cleaned the warren whilst the two were out.
Vet called me just after 12 and it wasLucy a vet that has been with the surgery for 8 month or so.
Stating I had another good look before I sedated him. There is no signs for an absess and he was happier after the increased dose of metacam last night.
I gave him a strong sedation/ slight GA just enough to allow me to have a good look in his mouth( he doesn't like anyone engaging with his mout, not even me!) 
Found that the first left upper molar is not growing righ. It grows forwards putting pressure on the teeth next to it.additionally there was a overlap there that I have taken off now.
We will have to observe if real curing the put may need to be removed.
I asked whether they had taken X rays and she said no as I could see what the problem was and the check before the procedure did not indicate any sign of infection/abscess .
Back since 4this pm. He started eating at the vet,ahh that was in the survival.bag too. Fresh parsley, rosemary and oregano from the garden and he munched it!Happy DanceVery Happy
Since being back I got m nose kisses a sparkling clean warren and two happy buns. Let's hope they keep it up.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:09 pm

Fingers crossed it was this tooth causing the problem hun - sending vibes for him and hugs for you x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:39 pm

Oh sweetie, lots of loving and healing vibes from here too.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:44 pm

Aww I am glad things are looking up for Vernon Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Top up vibes from here too love. How is he doing? Wave

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Not to bad. I keep hi. On the metacam for a few more days but reducing it. Still a bit slow but eating his food if Bubbles doesn't pinch it. Generally brighter and more interacting. Means I get my nose kisses and he is visiting me in the loung again.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:18 pm

That is great news hun
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Glad he is feeling better hun - do you feel that the teeth were the problem?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:57 pm

I am so glad he is better sweets, thank you for keeping us updated.

Hugs Happy Dance
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Great that he's recovering well. Keep it up Vernon.
They can be such a worry.
Just how clean is the warren now, I wonder?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Yes my boy is deffo back to his normal cheeky self and I'm very grateful for it. He ame downstairs tonight and had a good go at his blanket in the lounge digging,rolling and rearranging it for 10 minutes.
Eating is back to normal amounts just a little slower but that's ok. Metacam reduced so all thumbs up.
The warren was sparkling clean Dee, lasted about one hour.
He is moulting heavely too and enjoyed a big grooming yesterday.
Result lots of fur flying about. Thumbs UpalbinoLove

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunnybuddah Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:12 pm

Fantastic news about Vernon. What a clever boy.Love Happy Dance
bunnybuddah
bunnybuddah
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Oh that is just brilliant, I am thrilled to bits for you hunni. Happy Dance

Hugs
Jo x

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Yay! thats great news!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:33 pm

I am sorry I missed this whilst I have been AWOL, but am glad to hear that Vernon is now feeling much more like himself.

Gabriel had a dental too at the end of September - it took him a whole week later to start to eat properly. I did take him back as I was worried but it was felt that he was just taking a long time to bounce back after the sedation/anaesthesia. I had him on twice daily meatacam and tummy meds as he refused to eat hay and his poops were like grape seeds. He was picking at his other food so I was both syringe feeding him and 'forcing' him to eat veg by waving it under his nose.

He was then 'off' again a week ago so took him back to the vets who couldn't find anything obviously untoward apart from a horrendous moult and starting with very slight molar spurs again. As he still isn't eating much hay I know this won't help. He used to eat loads of hay when he was with Spring - I am sure this was both a competitive and companionship thing. Fingers crossed then that with a new partner his hay intake will improve - as he is over 8 years old now, repeated dentals will worry me.

Bunnies do cause so much worry at times.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:48 pm

I am so glad he back to normal hun.

Yey vernon

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:11 pm

I am sorry to hear about Gabriel Sixer love, I hope he is better soon.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2