Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do about Henry

+3
gemma997
jolovesbunnies
woodwench
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What to do about Henry Empty What to do about Henry

Post by woodwench Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:20 am

You all know he has this heart condition and that it's terminal. Well he is definitely losing weight and his appetite is in decline BUT (don't you just love a BUT?), though he sleeps A LOT he does have his moments still, like this morning he was determined to Help me clean out his litter tray ... sod him! And he also took a violent dislike to my brand new Sketchers and attacked and attacked them, lunging, growling and scragging the laces. He is also in full moult, a right little fur machine in overdrive.
It's his weight and appetite that is worrying me.... Any advice? I've started resorting to muesli mix!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

What to do about Henry Empty Re: What to do about Henry

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:32 pm

He sounds fine except for his appetite lovey, Have you tried him with treats he would not normally have like grapes? I know they are high in sugar but something like this just might get him eating well again. Sorry I am not much help but I am sure our friends on here will be able to give good advice Love to you both. Hugs

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:41 pm

He's eating fenugreek crunchers, carrot tops, F L Parsley okay and his wild forage which is mainly grass, dandelion, plantain and Hawthorne tips (if I can find good ones). I got him some dried beetroot yesterday that he likes and I've ordered some more but he loses interest so quickly that he may have gone off them before the next lot arrives.
It's just part of his illness and to be expected as his condition progresses. But I would love to get him back to eating a decent amount to keep his strength up.
Don't worry folks, he's not in pain and not wasting away... he's still relaxed and still has the occasion mad half hour.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:23 pm

Have you tried recycling through the previous stuff he's rejected in case he gets a wee notion for it again.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:27 pm

I still keep offering him the SS4+ that he used to love and he does eat some hay but not enough to shout about. And I keep putting down dried herbs, plantain, dandelions etc.
All the veg he refuses... well, the local wildies thing everyday is Christmas.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:39 am

Please don't mind me asking. Is he on any pain relief?
If his condition worsened and he isn't feeling comfortable than it may just be his way of letting you know.
Vernon will start to wee outside his litter tray if he has a pesky tooth.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:19 am

He's not taking any meds at all. I discussed this with his vet at the outset and they with Richard Saunders and we all agreed that because Henry has such problems with meds it was better not to offer them as the stress could be more harmful to him than not taking anything. And the meds that were available were cat/dog meds that were meat flavoured ... not his thing. He is not in pain, he is perfectly relaxed. It's just that he's slowing down in every way. He sleeps longer, eats less but he is still pooping okay, peeing okay and he still has his moments.
I know I'm trying to do the impossible and ward off the inevitable ... his time is running out fast now.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:22 pm

When Paris was dropping weight due to terminal cancer i gave her porridge oats and it helped build & maintain her weight
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:58 pm

Maybe give him fruit sweeter the better, or soak the stuff in Ella's kitchen baby food try tempt him.
Know their not supposed to get fruit but I don't think it would be bad in this situation.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:18 pm

Yes, oats sounds like a good idea. I'd have thought of that myself if I'd had some in (I can't eat them). I'll get some next shop.
Fruit, a part from apple and dried apricot, goes straight through Henners, he's a two veg and no meat bun with apples for afters!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:16 am

Barley rings are meant to be good for weight gain, my guys love them. I have a massive bag (15kg!) and will happily send you some if you like?
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:01 pm

I hope he starts eating properly again soon love. Have you tried carrot tops, I have never known a bunny to refuse them?

Please keep us posted.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:27 am

Unfortunately loss of appetite is part of what happens with an enlarged heart. It is one of the many problems that accompanies the progression of the disease. He as barley rings but after two days lost interest. He does love carrot tops but again he eats a couple then abandons them. Since his diagnosis I've been offering him foods that are supposed to be good for him like hawthorn which is supposed to be good for the heart, dandelion to help his kidney/bladder function and lots of grass (he's only picking at hay these days so grass is important). Dandelions he loves and does still gobble up, grass he is getting picky about.
I'm afraid his condition as progressed to the stage where anorexia is looming.
He was diagnosed on 1st March and the prognosis was weeks, maybe months. He's into his seventh month now and Richard Saunders said it is an exceptional case that lives to a year from the date of diagnosis.
But, he does still have his moments. Last night he ran across the room with a binky mid way. He is still quite alert late at night, say from 11pm to 10am next morning. He will toss his bell toy around, go investigating ... do most rabbity things but only for a couple of minutes before tiring and taking a ten minute nap.
He's slowing down and his picky eating and weight loss is another symptom.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:42 pm

I am so sorry Woodwench love but it sounds as if he is still enjoying his life even if he tires quickly. Binkying is a great sign if happiness and I look forward to hearing about many more. Hugs

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:20 pm

My offer to send you some fibafirst to try him with still stands Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:02 pm

Thanks Thumper, I've tried FF... he was given a couple of fiba first sticks a few weeks ago. He carried one around for a couple of minutes looking for all the world like a dog with a bone looking for a spot to bury it! Finally he went to the fire grate (no fire, empty fire basket) and dropped it in the fire basket. He hopped off with an air of "Job well done!". He never offered to retrieve it and the second stick went untouched, unsniffed and ignored until I got tired of treading on it and collected up the bits and reunited them with the other stick.
He does have Protexin Profibre and at least five different hays which he occasionally picks at.
I discussed his appetite with the vet yesterday and he said I might be providing him with too many commercial foods and to try and wean him back on to his old diet of SS4+ with a scoop of Protexin Profibre and as much wild forage as I can get along with his favourite veggies and to avoid anything that could cause gas. The main problem is that his heart is beating slower which slows down every other bodily function ... coaxing him with new food stuffs every day won't help, it might actually make things worse as he needs a regular diet that is less likely to upset his tum.
He's been having a good spell this week so far, full of the devil every morning. This morning I was wanting to get on and go shopping so he decided to help with litter tray cleaning again. It's a job usually done in about five minutes, this morning it took almost fifteen minutes and then I had to leave the tray in the middle of the utility room, with him in it pooping for England! Then he decided to to go in the broom corner and drag out his favourite broom... he brought the whole lot down and scooted like a scalded cat. When I got home from shopping that broom was in the passage between the dining and sitting room. He hauled it across the utility room and the dining room and into the passage where he decided to take a rest and chew off 80% of the bristles!
I'm so happy when he's enjoying himself (I think).

Last edited by woodwench on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:43 pm

That's so funny he was like a dog with a bone! So cute Laughing My two love them! I just feed them as a treat. Usually to distract them from destroying something.

I'm glad he's having a good week. His adventures made me smile Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:28 am

I love reading about his antics too, he is just so gorgeous. Very Happy

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:56 am

Yes, Jo, I think he's gorgeous too; by far the handsomest buck I've had and seen.... and the old saying, "Handsome is as Handsome does! really applies to Henry... he's handsome in EVERY way...
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:40 pm

Ha ha, my mother used to quote me that when I said a man was good looking. She told me at quite a young age that the handsome ones do not make the best boyfriends and boy, did I found that to be true. Not with bunnies though, they are gorgeous inside and out and Henry is exceptionally handsome. Very Happy

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:55 am

jolovesbunnies wrote:Ha ha, my mother used to quote me that when I said a man was good looking.  She told me at quite a young age that the handsome ones do not make the best boyfriends and boy, did I found that to be true.  Not with bunnies though, they are gorgeous inside and out and Henry is exceptionally handsome. Very Happy

Hugs
Jo xx

You clearly havnt met my soundwave he is anything but gorgeous on the inside, if he was a person he'd be one of those clowns that hide under your bed and murder you in your sleep.
Xxxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:28 am

Oh .... Soundwave's a Bonster!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:30 pm

He is that lol
Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:49 am

Ha ha Gemma love, like the clown in "It" you mean lol!!

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Exactly Jo that's him and he being a wee sod this week think he can tell I'm no well and is taking the pee out of me

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down