Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE Baytril to use or not

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

UPDATE Baytril to use or not Empty UPDATE Baytril to use or not

Post by woodwench Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:23 pm

His vet put Reboot on Baytril for a "suspected" infection (remember his gut issues at the start of Dec?). Waiting to hear from Richard Saunders and hoping to perk Reboot up and get him eating better Alex decided 1.03 mils of Baytri a dayl. This was as well as 0.2 of cisapride twice a day and 0.7 of Loxicom.
Richard Saunders, having seen all the relevant info, X-rays etc found nothing apparently wrong, so as Reboot was starting to eat better and seemed to respond to the pain relief and/or Baytril we let him carry on with all three.
It's been two weeks now since he started on the Baytril and as he began eating well again within a couple of days of starting the Baytril I think if there was an infection it worked on it and after two weeks it should be cleared up.... so I'm wondering... should I take him off it? He as been eating ok and pooing ok but I'm not sure he is as bright as he was. Could using Baytril now be causing issues?
I'm thinking of taking him off it for a couple of days to see what happens. If he improves, great, if he doesn't well it's back on the Baytril and/or back to the vet.
What would you do were you me?

Last edited by woodwench on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

UPDATE Baytril to use or not Empty Re: UPDATE Baytril to use or not

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 pm

I would do what you propose to do sweetie and as soon as the vets are open, seek their advice too. You don't want him getting poorly again but on the other hand, you don't want to give him medicine he no longer needs. Please let us know how you get on.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Give your richard a wee call see what he says, 
I would have thought being in it for 2 weeks wouldnt help in long run similar to us and anti biotics.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:33 pm

Whether to stop the Baytril or not became irrelevant last night as at 10-45 I was ringing the emergency number.
Reboot had gone into a state of bloat!.
After a long chat on the phone I was set to nurse him through till morning. I already had the two drugs Richard would use: Cisapride and Loxicom and I just had to up the dose of each and give them twice before being at the surgery at 8-30 this morning.

He is a very poorly little boy and I'm syringing Recovery as well as giving the meds and he is confined to his crate to make it easier/less stressful for me to catch him up for syringing.
\it's awful to see him and I'm feeling very miserable and having to deal with it alone is the worst part.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:40 am

Oh no so sorry to here that. 
He is having a rough time of it poor wee fella.

Sending lots of love, hugs and bunny licks you way.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Oh sweetie, I so wish could be there for you, I cannot bear to think of your going through this alone. Do you not have a friend who could come an keep you company? You are both in my thoughts and prayers hunni. Thanks for the updates. Hugs Hugs

Lots of love
Jo xxxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:39 pm

his vet just rang to check how he is. He was pleased to hear he is passing poos even though they are tiny things. I went into town and bought him a new heat pad, a Pet Remedy electric one. He has an open fire going and an electric radiator up close to the crate but the pad will give extra comfort where it's most needed, on that poorly tum.
He has been nibbling bits of hay, very tiny amount but hay none-the-less and he has gobbled the few dandelion leaves I managed to find along with some blackberry leaves as well. He also eats some dried dandelion. I wish it was all sorted. Tomorrow may bring better things, I'd hate to go through this over a long weekend.
And thank you for thinking of us. I wish I had someone to visit as well, Jo, but my best friends are all ill ... Meg with Alzheimer's and her husband terminal with cancer and my other friend in the village is in bed with pleurisy. So no option but to go it alone.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:34 am

He's just had his meds and though he has passed a few tiny poos during the night he seems little changed from yesterday and once I've got the meds in him he will not accept Recovery. I just can't hold him to get Recovery syringed, even in a towel he escapes.
He has eaten a few blackberry leaves and an odd dandelion leaf I've managed to find.
It's Fri. morning and he's been bloated since Tuesday night. I'm so, SO worried.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 am

I am so sorry my darling, I want to be with you to give you comfort. I am so glad he has eaten a little and I hope as the days go by he improves. Am I right in thinking that it has only been the vet that you have talked to about this and no friends except us? If I were fit I would be on my way over to you hunni. Thanks for the updates and I wish there was something more constructive I could say. Hugs

Lots of love
Jo xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Reboot has been Hospitalised.
After a talk with the vet at lunch time when I told Richard he had only eaten a few blackberry leaves and hadn't drunk anything since 8-30 he told me bring him and he went this afternoon to be assessed and will be there overnight then he is going into the care of a vet nurse experienced with rabbits.
I could get his meds into him but it was proving impossible to syringe him Recovery as he wriggled and fought so much and I was scared of doing further harm to his fractured leg and/or causing something drastic internally like a torsion because of the bloat.
I hate that he's gone, I hate that I proved unable to care for him properly and I'm worried that he may not come home.
The vet said he was not dehydrated, which is good, and he is strong and there are no signs of anything else occurring as a result of the bloat.  He said there was no reason to give up hope yet. I still feel wretched and kinda shaky.
And, Jo, I have a couple of friend on phone but not living close and Anne McBride is great for a chat as well, she is a Reboot fan!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Sorry to hear that.
Dont feel hate for not having him at home, its so difficult to care for a bun especially on your own. 

Sending lots of get well vibes xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:47 pm

I am so sorry he is in hospital but I think it is for the best lovey. You are not a bad mum at all and never think that. Ours play up for us but the vet/nurse always manage to do anything with minimum fuss on most occasions. I am not surprised you are shaky sweetie, you have been through an awful lot. I am sending lots of loving and healing vibes sweetie and thanks for the updates.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:49 pm

This afternoon I spoke with his nurse and he still isn't pooing but he was eating dandelion leaves and some redigrass. He is still on Cisapride and is now having morphine based pain relief injections. They promised to keep me up to date daily and if all goes well he will see his vet again for check on Tuesday.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:47 am

Aw woodwench I’m sorry to hear this Sad

I’m trying to read this thread but it’s morning and I’m having my ear chewed off by a 3 year old!!!

I’ll have a proper read later but please keep us updated.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:28 pm

Lots more love on it's way hunni

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Spoke with his nurse Meg at lunch time and Reboot is "going down". He's a bit less gassy and was throwing his bell toy around when she arrived to give him his meds this morning. He had also produced poos overnight; not big ones but poos and a good number of them. He is on 0.26 Cisapride three times a day and 0.5 Loxicom twice a day now and is eating dandelions and taking four feeds of Recovery a day.
His vet will assess him again tomorrow and we will discuss his feeding (he's still not eating nuggets and only picking at hay), his meds and about coming home and whether or not confining him to his crate would be better for his leg than pain relief that with his delicate tum seems like a worse option.
Hopefully tomorrow he will have less gas and be eating better. He will most likely be hospitalised for a few days more. But his poo was the best New Years gift ever!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Oh sweetie, there is some good news there I am so pleased to hear and I will continue to pray for his complete recovery and some peace of mind for you. I am glad he is pooing and playing, that is a good sign. Very Happy

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:34 pm

After an examination this morning his vet asked permission to give him a light whiff of gas to enable him to check out his teeth because he still isn't eating nuggets hay and his gas has gone down a lot and he eats dandelions ok.
After checking the vet found no tooth probs but there are lesions on the back of his tongue and the corresponding roof of his mouth.... he asked had he chewed a cable or some such. Well no, he hadn't but he does play with willow twigs and I'm wondering if he had poked one back in his mouth like dogs sometimes do. Or if he had got snagged when chewing my wicker log basket or even when chewing a log.
At any rate this sore tongue and mouth answers the question why he went off his pellets and hay on Christmas day and then, on an empty tum the greens he started eating on Boxing day evening bloated him double quick. I guess it also explains why he fought the syringe so hard, he was scared of it hurting his mouth.
Anyway, I'm going to speak with the vet tomorrow and his nurse and see if Reboot can have a couple more days in hospital to see if he can get back on nuggets/hay before coming home. I really have lost confidence in feeding/medicating him.
If he is eating nuggets and hay, even a little, before he comes home I'll feel a lot happier.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:18 pm

I am so pleased to hear some positive news hunni and I agree, I would want my bun to stay in a few more nights until he was eating properly. I am so glad you have found the problem at last and are now able to put it right. Thanks for the updates sweetie, lots of love on its way.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:15 pm

It's a big relief... I'm suddenly very sleepy. Dropping off anywhere.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 pm

I don’t think any of us would have guessed that was the problem! I hope he returns to himself once properly healed!

Go enjoy a snooze Wink
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:07 am

That's a relief now you got to the bottom of it. 
Wishing him speedy recovery.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 am

Just hope it is th final hurdle and he carries on gaining strength and doesn't relapse.
He's going to come home on Sat. and go into his crate for a week or two so that his leg can heal without any stresses. I just want him off meds and to get him happily eating his hays and nuggets again.
There will be no more kale,cabbage etc for him. Anyone think of something seasonal and readily available that he might like as a substitue? I've gone brain dead .....
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:49 pm

You have a lot of sleep to catch up on sweetie, the relief is wonderful but it makes you very tired. I would just do as your body tells you hunni and try and eat something too. Thank you for keeping us posted and you are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Lots of love
Jo xxxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Herbs would prob be best. My two are fussy beyond belief so I’m not the best person to advise on them. I’ve got them eating parsley and rocket just now tho.

Coriander is a popular one. My two won’t touch it but that’s no surprise.

They love cavolo nero but it’s part of the kale family. Saying that, they don’t get kale for gas reasons and *touch wood* always been fine with it.

If I think of more I’ll come back Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next