Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something I read on fb the other day.

+2
woodwench
Thumper2001
6 posters

Go down

Something I read on fb the other day. Empty Something I read on fb the other day.

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:07 am

A woman said on fb the other day she doesn’t give her rabbits cardboard toys because one of them eats it scratch

All of my rabbits have eaten cardboard?? And they’ve always been fine!

There are boredom breakers made entirely of cardboard? My two love the cardboard shred-a-logs. They disappear in no time!

What say you??

Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Something I read on fb the other day. Empty Re: Something I read on fb the other day.

Post by woodwench Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:33 am

I got Reboot a Hay 'n' Hide tunnel and he loved it. He spent ages nibbling off the hay but then he began on the cardboard and when I was cleaning his tray I found a large, misshaped poo with an inch long piece of cardboard in it. Said cardboard obviously hadn't been digested and had passed through him like foreign object. So now the tube and his carrot cottage are allowed only under close supervision and the moment he nibbles cardboard they are put away. I can't help but think that pieces of cardboard like the one in his poo could so easily cause a blockage. When his present cardboard toys are done I won't buy any more. Likewise willow twigs and tunnels. When he injured his mouth on a willow twig at Christmas it almost cost him his life so no more!
For boredom breakers try a treat ball and put some burgess in it or get a crackly cat tunnel. Reboot loves his Y shaped cat tunnel and I'm getting him an H shaped one soon.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Something I read on fb the other day. Empty Re: Something I read on fb the other day.

Post by gemma997 Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:23 am

I give thundercracker little cardboard planters filled with veg as a wee bordom breaker he doesnt get it often and the cardboard is a very fine cardboard almost paper like.
I dont like giving him proper cardboard, the wee grubber would scoff the lot and he takes big chunks off so is at risk of blockage.
Soundwave was the same but the girls would just destroy it and leave bits lying about.

Xxx

gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Same as Gemma, my boys sometimes get cardboard stuff to play with and I know in small amounts its prob fine but MJ especially I think he'd eat as much cardboard as I gave him. They used to have boxes to play in but not anymore... partly in case it causes a problem and partly because its really loud and annoying when they are eating it Laughing
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Holly loves her cardboard boxes, we call them "Mr Chewy Box." She gets endless pleasure from them and they have never done her any harm. I agree about the noise though love when you are trying to watch something on TV Very Happy

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Folks here love them too
Never caused trouble

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Interesting! I’ve rabbits all these years and never knew this Laughing

So what do you leave them to play with/destroy when you’re not around??
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 pm

c.bolduan wrote:Folks here love them too
Never caused trouble
Junior would be devastated if I took his shred-a-logs away!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am

Thumper, what do I leave Reboot to destroy on the VERY rare occasions when I'm not around?
Err ..... The House! Funny, when it's handed to him on a plate he loses all interest.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am

That is so typical love, you leave them with something to chew and they don't do it. You see, it isn't any fun when they are allowed to chew something, only when they are not. Laughing

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Lol I was thinking to post the house
But then
First no bunny is alone all bonded pairs or small groups
Surely that helps against boredom
Ask Vernon to look after two young ladies I’m sure he got a tale to tell
Toys and tunnels included in a layout and once a month I change it
Around
Not to get borrd

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:53 pm

Laughing

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down