Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mouldy' looking poo, - He's OK!

+10
rallybunny
Rosie Rabbit
Sixer
thumpersmum
Snowy
NickieM
foxyfaerie
Happy Hoppers
Lynda
Jay
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

'Mouldy' looking poo, - He's OK! - Page 2 Empty Re: 'Mouldy' looking poo, - He's OK!

Post by NickieM Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:09 pm

So pleased that you know what the problem is. At least you know where to go from here. I hope that Bertie can now rid himself of his 'golf ball', albeit, in tiny bite sized portions of sludge and get back to being just gorgeous.

Lots of noserubs to everyone.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

'Mouldy' looking poo, - He's OK! - Page 2 Empty Re: 'Mouldy' looking poo, - He's OK!

Post by foxyfaerie Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm glad to hear you can help Bertie get better now & sending vibes for a speedy recovery xx

foxyfaerie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Thank-you everyone :luv:
I feel really good that in this time of blame, recrimination and litigation that someone just held their hands up and said 'ya know what, we didn't do what we should have done and we're sorry, we'll make sure it doesn't happen again'. It's such a refreshing change from the usual attempts to avoid responsibility, and I feel much more confident in his future care because of it.

He's been fine this afternoon, lapping up the attention, and already there's been more poo than usual after the liquids Very Happy

ETA: Forgot to say that the white stuff is Calcium, and it's secreted because of the disturbance in the Cecum, which is why it only appears before & during these episodes. The mucus that was coating the post-stasis poo was also because of the disturbance/blockage. He said that these 2 things were indicative of the diagnosis.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:34 pm

I am glad to hear that you have got to the root cause of Berties's problems and that he is home with you. Sending loads of vibes for Bertie and hope that he soon responds to the treatment.

You must feel relieved to know that in future a bunny knowledgeable vet will be at hand.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:41 pm

I hope Bertie will respond well to his treatment Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Great news that Bertie is home and has been properly diagnosed. It's good that the practice took responsibility for their errors and hopefully you'll have better experiences with them from now on.

Really hope Bertie manages to get rid of the compacted poo - as least you know what you're dealing with now.

Poo-passing vibes for Bertie boy :luv:
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:41 pm

I'm so glad you've got some answers, and that you've got reassurance regarding Bertie's future medical care.

I bet he'll love the pineapple juice, but more importantly I hope he responds well to the treaqtment.

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks everyone for your wishes & vibes Very Happy
Bertie's enjoying the Pineapple! He's less fond of the liquid Parafin Shocked but yesterday we had a landslide of small hard poos, and today there's been some more, so I'm hoping this is working. Poor thing's been prodded and probed so much the last few days that I'm not going to check him for a couple more days, as he really hates me afterwards Laughing
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:46 am

Bless Bertie. Glad he is on the mend and the poops are flowing! Thumbs Up
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:16 am

I hope Bertie is doing OK ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:09 pm

Spoke too soon really Rolling Eyes He haden't eaten or drunk anything by 9 am, he's usually starving by 7. I fed him water with Bio lapis, gave him paraffin & pineapple, massages etc, but he didn't respond, so we were back at the vets again.
He's had the gut stimulant jab, and is on Science Recovery, a drop of Metacam and he has pood a bit. I've suddenly got lots of syringes and bottles and green paste and I feel quite stressed by the whole thing, poor Berts, we just want him better Sad He said that the impaction had reduced, but the ceacum is tender and he's a bit sore, & probably in pain which may have caused the stasis.

He'll get there, thanks for asking Smile

Oh and I met a lovely lady called Claire with a Mini Lop like Carlton J, who will be joining us soon Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Oh, poor Berts...he really is going hrough the wars isn't he. Sad

Have the vets mentioned anything about his hydration levels at all, as I know you need to be careful when using paraffin to make sure that anything trapped in the stomach dosn't dry out and then get coated in oil. I assume though, that as he has been given Metaclopromide, there isn't anything trapped currently.

I really hope he is starting to feel better very soon, it can be so draining for both the bunny and the owner when they are ill for prolonged periods of time.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Oh Jay, what a worry. I really hope he starts to improve soon, and there are no more setbacks. You're doing really well with him, I know it hard but try not to get too stressed.

Sending more get well vibes and more anti-stress vibes

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:50 pm

What a worry for you Jay. I hope that Bertie gets through this and makes a good recovery. Sending vibes to his poor little tummy. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Poor Berts Crying or Very sad

I wonder if Lactulose may be more useful than LP Hmmm
Lactulose is an osmotic laxative, it draws water into the guts thus softening impacted matter. It is often necessary to give Bun additional supportive fluids (IV/Subcutaneous) whilst using Lactulose.
Not sure it'd work if LP has already been given though Hmmm

This is advise given by Dana Krempels on another Forum

Lactulose -dose of 0.5cc per kg of body mass every 8 hours. This is an osmotic laxative, and will draw liquid into the gut. As the proteolytic enzyme dissolves mucus (and possibly some fur, depending on which supplement you use--pancreatic enzymes will blast fur, too.) holding the mass together, the hydration drawn in by the lactulose will help hydrate it, making it easier to pass through the gut.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks for the replies, we're back at veys on Wednesday of not before, so will ask about the Lactulose & mention the concern with the paraffin. He has had very thorough checks, both the last times he was groping about for 15 minutes or so, and was very specific about what's going on there.
He seems happy enough at the mo, been hopping about and eating a bit. Thanks for your help and wishes Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:09 am

How's he doing today Jay?

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks Lynne, so far so good, was hungry for his brekky, has had all his syringes, he's getting sick of them already, but has binkyed a bit and seems to be more perky. I think the Metacam is helping him deal with it all. The poos have been good and plentiful, so we're really happy today, and it's a lovely day Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:52 am

That sounds hopeful. Hope it continues.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:13 pm

sending get well soon vibes for Bertie!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Hurrah for plentiful poos Smile

I hope Bertie has continued to have a good day.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:27 am

Just a quick update, yesterday morning was similar to Saturday morning, woke up, no appetite, dormant etc. But he did do some poos that were very mishapen, a couple of the looked like SS pellets Shocked and I gave him all his syringes, and recovery, and he didn't respond to the first drop of Metacam, I had to ring the vet anyway, and she told me to give him another, so I did, about 3 hoours after the first. That seems to get things going anf he was eating by 11.30. I had a cancellation, luckily, so was able to spend most of the day with him, and by 1 you'd never know anything was wrong.
This morning he's bright, perky and running circles round us with his bird in his mouth, and being Bertie. I'm encouraged that these episodes which used to be completely random are now just solely in the morning, and have gone from every day to every other or third day. We'll see what tomorrow brings, he has a follow up appt. at 4 , but today, we're happy Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:49 am

Am glad you are having a happy day. It must be such a worry for you. We are having a few SS poos too - full of fur and boy do they pong, not like a normal poo at all.

Having had 'do's' with BJ, Rosie and Gabe recently I am no longer anywhere near as relaxed when I take them their brekkies. I am on tenterhooks in case any of them are off their food Sad

Fingers crossed that Bertie's tum is soon back to normal xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 am

So Sorry I missed this Jay, and so pleased that Bertie seems to be recovering well. Thinking of you & your lovely little man xxx
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Lets hope that things continue in this way Jay. I can't believe poor Bertie is going througha ll of this but I just wanted to say that you are doing a fantastic job. Bless you. Sending lots of vibes for Bertie and for you and Paul to ease your nerves. Nosey rubs and hugs to all concerned xxxxxxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next