Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

food & stuff

+2
NickieM
moo3577
6 posters

Go down

food & stuff Empty food & stuff

Post by moo3577 Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi all we now have two bunnies ( bonnie & clyde ) picked up from rspca on sunday. Just wondering what fresh veggies etc.. you all give and how much, do you have favorites? also what fruits are liked ( have tried blueberries as a treat seemed to go down well ) don't want to spoil them too much then have to cut back!

moo3577
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

food & stuff Empty Re: food & stuff

Post by NickieM Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Mine get spring greens every day, along with a couple of other choices, either veg or fruit. I give them cauliflower, carrot, cucumber, celery, peppers, apples, pears.

I give them a teacup of pellets between two in the morning and half a tupperware mixing bowl with veg in the evening. The rest of the time they free range in their compound and have grass, hay and branches to nibble. They love apple wood.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Our staple veg is spring greens too. Alongside that the buns have a mixture of kale, savoy cabbage, romaine lettuce, peppers, celery, herbs such as basil, parsley and coriander, radish and cherry tomatoes. Twice a week they share a carrot and every now and then get carrot tops.

None of ours like fresh fruit apart from BJ who will eat grapes.

They always have access to hay and get a egg cup of pellets in the morning between each pair.

Looking forward to seeing some piccies of Bonnie and Clyde Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Ooh, missed out broccoli too Smile

Also forgot to add that don't be in too much or a rush to introduce new veggies to bunnies as their tummies need to get used to new foods gradually. If you are giving them different veggies to what they have been used to at the RSPCA, then try not to give them more than one new veggie at once. That way you can make sure that the veggie isn't going to cause problems. Some bunnies have sensitive tummies and cannot tolerate some foods. There is some good info here on feeding rabbits, if you click on 'Feeding the house rabbit' found under the video link.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Food/Food_main.htm
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:19 am

Buns are all different and have different tastes. Mine eats spring greens, parsley, corriander kale, carrot tops , Methi, mint, broccoli and caluflower leaves.

He's meant to like spinach and hates it, beet tops, hates those, bramble leaves -only likes dried ones Rolling Eyes fruit-wont touch it, I could go on..!

So try different things, see what they respond to and save their favourite things for training purposes Laughing
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by moo3577 Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks guys it's really interesting to hear what everyone else does, will introduce new things slowly so as not to upset tummies!

moo3577
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by checkitjess Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:06 am

i gave my pet Bunni, half cooked carrots and bananas for desert... albino Happy Dance

checkitjess
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:19 am

Aw did they love it! I foster for the RSPCA in my area. What RSPCA did you get them from! Welcome to HH btw!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down