Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noo - another broken bone - update given up on the bandage.

+11
Rosie Rabbit
Kirsty&Lola
Jay
LilleJente
jan
Snowy
KatieB
Happy Hoppers
Catsknickers
ElleyMay
Sixer
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Noo - another broken bone - update given up on the bandage. Empty Noo - another broken bone - update given up on the bandage.

Post by Sixer Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Poor little Noo - 18 months ago she had a broken bone in a foot and now it has happened again Sad but in her other foot.

Yesterday morning I noticed that she was holding her back paw splayed out and when I had a look one of her claws was at a bizarre angle with a swelling at the base of the claw. Off to the vets and it seems she has managed to break one of her toes Sad The vet has splinted it using cotton buds and has bandaged it which so far she has not removed (yet). He suggested leaving iy bandaged for two weeks if possible Shocked

I have her on Metacam and she is using this paw to hop on. Luckily she is a very sedentary bunny - apart from when Gabe insists on play chasing her.

Goodness know how she has done it - I am slightly concerned that she has 'weak' bones. Any bone mending vibes would be appreciated for our little squidgy Noo.

Last edited by Sixer on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Noo - another broken bone - update given up on the bandage. Empty Re: Noo - another broken bone - update given up on the bandage.

Post by ElleyMay Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:01 pm

Oh my goodness... Poor little Noo... Sad

She sounds like a tough little girl though!

I'm sending you tons of vibes!!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Noo - another broken bone - update given up on the bandage. Empty Re: Noo - another broken bone - update given up on the bandage.

Post by Catsknickers Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Lots of bone mending vibes hun, poor little girl Sad x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Oh bless her, it does sound like she is quite prone to bone breaks, perhaps she has a brittle bone condition....either that or perhaps she is catching it on the same thing.

Do they have wire on their cage and does she ever pull or stand up on it....

Hope she feels better soon and leaves the splint alone!
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Hope she is feeling better soon. x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Oh no!, poor little Noo, hope she gets better soon and sending her millions of get welll vibes xxxx
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:27 pm

Poor Noo sending healing vibes bless her xx
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:33 pm

Sooz wrote:Oh bless her, it does sound like she is quite prone to bone breaks, perhaps she has a brittle bone condition....either that or perhaps she is catching it on the same thing.

Do they have wire on their cage and does she ever pull or stand up on it....

Hope she feels better soon and leaves the splint alone!

There is no cage as such Sooz, her and Gabe are in a large pen overnight and free range in the conservatory during the day. They have a base from an indoor cage within the pen with hay and water in, I wonder if she has banged her foot on the side of the base jumping in and out. Unlike Gabe she is not in the least bit interested in jumping up and exploring so I have ruled this out. I do believe there is the possibility of brittle bones with her, whether this may be due to poor diet/no excercise as a youngster or if there is another reason linked to her general health now I do not know. She has a good and varied diet (I think) so I don't know what else I can do apart from remove all potential causes of harm.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilleJente Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:14 am

Aww poor Noo!! Lots of bone healing vibes.
LilleJente
LilleJente
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1273
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.four-legs-good.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:35 am

Lots of vibes for Noo and you Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 am

loads of vibes for Noo, bless her
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Poor little Noo, what a shame. Sad

Really hope it mends quickly, sending her loads of vibes. Hugs x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:32 pm

How is she doing Vanessa?
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Noo has kept her bandage on bless her, such a good little bunny. She is placing her weight on the affected foot and it is not splayed out as it did before it was splinted so I am hoping the splints are keeping the toe straight as it mends. She doesn't seem at all bothered by it but sadly is now a lot more wary of me Sad The vet did mention amputating the toe if it didn't heal correctly, fingers crossed this will not be the case.

Noo is due a myxi jab this month so the vet can check her foot at the same time.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Noo was a good girl and kept her splint and bandage in place for three days but Monday night saw us back at the vets to have it re-bandaged Sad I bottled out of having a go myself as her feet are so tiny. Thankfully the swelling had gone down and the offending toe looked a lot straighter Very Happy almost normal in fact.

We saw a different vet who used a thick mesh which when wet sets. She put it on the bottom of Noo's foot to hold the toes in place, followed by bandage and tape. Tuesday morning found the floor of her pen covered in shredded bandage and mesh Hmmm

I have therefore given up, especially as Noo's poos were strung together yesterday with fibres of bandage. Back to normal today Very Happy and she is eating well.

Noo seems happy to hop on the affected foot, with the foot in the normal position so I am hoping that the toe is healing very quickly and as correctly as possible and she will not come to further harm.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:46 pm

glad things are looking better.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:56 pm

Noo noo what are you like..... so pleased that she is coming along bless her. I still never fail to get a warm fuzzy feeling when I think of her with you. The poor girl had been through so much. Bless her and Gabe Love
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:47 pm

There is no blessing Gabe today Mad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:39 pm

Glad to hear that her foot seems a lot better. Bunnies always seem to manage to get bandages off - little monkeys! It sounds as if it's better that way - you don't really want them eating the stuff!

Has Gabriel been naughty again? Laughing

ETA - just seen your 'Rabbit Curry' thread. Shocked Laughing
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Gabriel Love

So glad that Noo is a lot better. She does sound quite a laid back bun though. Love
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by kayj Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:11 am

Hope Noo is ok, she as been in the wars the poor thing.

kayj
Rescuer

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-07-07

http://www.bunnyhop.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:50 am

How is she now Vanessa
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 am

Hugs Vanessa, I hope Noo comtinues to improve x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Thank you for asking about Noo.

She is hopping normally on the foot and I can no longer feel any swelling. The toe itself seems to be straight so I am hoping it has healed correctly. It seems although Noo breaks bones easily they heal quickly too.

She is due at the vets soon so will get them to check her over.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Glad that she seems to be OK. She has enough to put up with !
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next