Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What causes GI statis?

3 posters

Go down

What causes GI statis? Empty What causes GI statis?

Post by Morrigan Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 am

Frankie has had two bouts of GI statis now - once last year and then again last weekend. The first time he was poorly the vet suggested that I'd fed him too much veg and suggested that I just give the rabs hay, a few SS pellets and water and keep the veggies as treats. I've been doing that for a year now and yet Frankie still got poorly again Hmmm

His teeth have been checked numerous times with an octoscope and he doesn't have any obvious spurs or misalignment, nor any other symptoms such as dribbling or dropping food. He had a check up at the vets yesterday and he's in good health. I did also ask the vet about the possibility of a GA to check for problems with Frankie's teeth, but he's not keen to do it as Frankie seems otherwise in good shape. He's a fantastic hay eater too (Frankie, not the vet Wink ), so no problems there either :luv:

The only common factors between this year and last year are the time of the year (it was July last time too) and the fact that the weather was warm but rainy. Could any of those things play a part? Oh, also, he has a lot of fur and moults terribly too - could ingested fur cause GI statis?

Ta Very Happy

Morrigan
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

What causes GI statis? Empty Re: What causes GI statis?

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:59 am

Ingested fur is normally only a problem if the rabbit already has some GI motility issues. A healthy rabbits GI tract should have no problems passing fur at all, it tends only to back up and form a trichobezoar secondary to a pre-existing GI disturbance.

So I would be very suprised if this was his primary problem. It also dosn't sound like Frankie's teeth are a real cause for concern else these issue's would occur more regularly.

Is Frankie easily stressed? Does he drink plenty of fluid? Has he had a thorough examination of his abdomen? Have any other tests been run?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Faunus Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:03 pm

Sorry I haven't got any advice but I hope you find the reason. Smile
Faunus
Faunus
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.bmdshare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down