Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking Dylan to the vet later

+2
Magoo
Rhianna
6 posters

Go down

Taking Dylan to the vet later Empty Taking Dylan to the vet later

Post by Rhianna Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Dylan, my only male bun, who is 'mature', hasn't seemed quite himself recently. It's nothing specific - he is still eating (but not so much) and coming out of the hutch into the run but he doesn't seem quite 'right'.

He had a dental and part of an abscess removed a few months ago so I am wondering if he has some spurs growing again. I felt a bit silly when I made the appointment and was asked what was wrong but will feel happier if I get him checked over.

I hope he will be OK as when I rehome Peggy and Sue, if bonding goes well, he will have a harem of four wifebuns. He needs to be fit and healthy to cope with all those, especially as they are younger women!!!

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Taking Dylan to the vet later Empty Re: Taking Dylan to the vet later

Post by Magoo Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm

I think it is definitely important to trust your instincts as a bunny mummy and get it seen to. If it is nothing then you will feel much better. My eldest daughter had a bad cough last year and seemed 'not right' to me. I called to get an appointment with the doctor but it took me ages to get passed the receptionist as she said it was 'just a cough'. I pushed though and it turned out she had pneumonia! She was fine after a little while but it just goes to show that us mothers (of children and furry friends) have strong instincts with this sort of thing.

Sending strong positive vibes to you and Dylan xx
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 pm

I hope you get on OK at the vets with Dylan. Definitely much better to follow your instincts than risk missing something. Good luck!
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Good luck with Dylan, I hope he's ok, and I agree with Emma, your instincts, your bun, you know.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Please, please trust your instincts, I do, I very often take a bunny to my vet and say "He/she doesn't seem right", they understand that we know our animals better than anyone, so please don't feel silly, you have done the right thing

Sending massive vibes that Dylan is OK
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:53 pm

hope Dylan is okay hun - I totally agree with above - trust your bunny mummy instincts.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:14 pm

My little man is OK Happy Dance

I got there early (impatient as always) but the vet saw me as the patient before me hadn't turned up. When I picked Dylan up to pop him in the carrier I noticed he had a moveable lump in his dewlap. I've felt this before but as he had one on both sides I didn't think much of it. Today one side was much bigger than the other.

The vet had a good look at Dylan. He doesn't have any spurs and his temperature was normal. He took some fluid from the lump and showed me and said it was fatty lymphoma which is benign and quite common in the more 'mature' bun.

We did wonder if he may have arthritis as he doesn't seem keen to come down the ramp in his hutch even at food time. The vet gave Dylan a metacam injection and said if I notice an improvement in his mobility I can get drops to give him daily.

Dylan was very pleased to get home and tell his wifebuns all about it. When he was on the table and the nurse was holding him he made a run for it and jumped in my arms - bless! He wanted his Mummy. His mobility was amazing then Shocked I held him while the vet took his temperature and he was very good.

I am very relieved it seems to be nothing serious. He must be at least five, probably quite a bit older, but the vet said his body is in good condition. He weighed him and he isn't overweight - just a solid bun. I have arthritis myself and take glucosamine - wonder if metacam will help me? Wink

Does anyone know if there is any bunny friendly food I can give Dylan that will help if he does have arthritis? I didn't think to ask the vet.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. When I found the lump I was really scared as I have had buns PTS because of tumours - Justin only earlier this year.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:25 pm

I am really pleased Dylan is ok. You must be so relieved!

My hubby has arthritis too. I bet metacam would be cheaper than the prescription we had to get today Laughing
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 pm

I am so pleased that it is nothing more serious, hope Dylan is OK, I give a few of my 'oldies' g;ucosomine but I buy the purest form and it can only be got from one place, here's the link

http://www.cures.uk.com/

It's brilliant stuff, it's a bit more expensive but well worth it
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:33 pm

So please that Dylan is OK and the fatty lymphoma shouldn't pose too many problems. Thumbs Up

Rhianna wrote:I have arthritis myself and take glucosamine - wonder if metacam will help me? Wink
I do take Metacam! Shocked

Well, not Metacam itself, but meloxicam which is the active ingredient in Metacam. It was prescribed for me as I can't tolerate ibuprofen (due to stomach sensitivity).
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:01 pm

I learn something new every day Smile
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Im really really please Dylan is okay (although Arthritis is not nice bless him)

Keep us updated.

Sending nose rubs to dylan (who prob has his wife buns waiting on him paw and paw by now - relaying tales of how he bravely endured the visit) and hugs to you too x x x x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down