Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spaying/Neutering?

3 posters

Go down

Spaying/Neutering? Empty Spaying/Neutering?

Post by Funkylady Mon May 10, 2010 10:50 am

So I am looking to rehome one or two bunnies in the near future.

as a total newbie to the rabbit world I am wondering if you can advise me as to the costs of spaying/neutering bunnies and at what age it is normally done?

My local SSPCA have six bunnies looking for a home so we are going to visit this weekend.

Any more information is greatly appreciated! Smile

xx

Funkylady
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-05-10

Back to top Go down

Spaying/Neutering? Empty Re: Spaying/Neutering?

Post by Magoo Mon May 10, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Smile The cost of getting a bunny neautered varies between vets. For example I tried 2 vets for prices and one was £55 and the other was £85. These are quotes for male bunnies though. I think female bunnies would be more expensiv as it's a more complicated operation. Also be aware that not all vets will include the price of aftercare (pain relief, gut stimulant etc) so when enquiring about the price, ask what the overal price will include exactly.

It is usually done at 4/5 months although some vets may prefer to wait until 6 or 7 months.

Also, when resucing a bunny, he or she may already be neautered.

I hope this helps.
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Funkylady Mon May 10, 2010 11:30 am

Thank you. My local SSPCA have 6 rabbits and the man said that none of them are spayed/neutered.

I will phone my two local vets to ask about the price.

Thank you for your help Smile

p.s. out of interest, can you house two male bunnies together? If I was rescuing them from the SSPCA how would I go about bonding them?
Im sorry, i need so much help xx

Funkylady
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Mon May 10, 2010 12:19 pm

You can house two bunnies together providing they are both neautered (due to fighting). I think the easiest combination is a female and 1 male, both neautered but it is possible for 2 of the same sex to bond if they are castrated.

I think there may be some HH members here that have male bunnies together so they may be able to offer more advice. As for bonding them when you get them, the SSPCA should be able to assist with that and help you do it. If not, I am sure somebody in the forum here will be able to offer much more advice on that. I only have one bunny at the moment so I haven't got experience in bonding. We are going to rescue him a female once he's been neautered so I'll be looking for advice on that too soon!
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon May 10, 2010 1:13 pm

A lot of rescue places neauter the buns before they are rehomed and some even bond two together for you before you take them away. It may be worth looking into this option.

Bunnies can do real damage to each other if they dont get along.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down