Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dexy has a wet bottom

4 posters

Go down

Dexy has a wet bottom Empty Dexy has a wet bottom

Post by Josephine Sun May 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Over the last few days I have noticed that Dexy's bottom has been soaked in urine, I have been wiping him with damp cotton wool and diluted hibiscrub,. He was at the vets a couple of weeks ago because I noticed that whenever he tried to rest on his hind legs to eat some greens out of a plant pot he kept rolling over, Anyway the vet said he could not see anything wrong, he put him on the floor to watch him hop around and of course Dexy just had to make me look like an idiot by going on to his hind legs to try and climb up my leg and did not fall over like he was doing the day before. The vet said it could be age related arthritis, but being a rescue rabbit we are not sure how old he is. I reckon he has got to be at least 5, which is'nt that old really.The worry about having to wipe him every day, is that it means the rear gaurd I have treated him with will be getting wiped off too and I am not sure that it is ok to keep reapplying it.
Any advice or ideas will be much appreciated.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Dexy has a wet bottom Empty Re: Dexy has a wet bottom

Post by Snowy Sun May 30, 2010 9:46 pm

I had this with a couple of my bunnies, firstly though age doesn't come in to it with arthritis, just look at Jay's Bertie, and secondly I would pain relief, when it happened to our it was down to arthritis and they couldn't stand in the correct position to wee and so it went down their legs, it was a nightmare because I was forever washing them, but once the Metacam kicked in it improved, one of them had a urine infection which caused the weeing

Sorry to that Dexy is suffering, it's the last thing you need in this weather with the flies around, hope you get him sorted and good luck
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Mon May 31, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks for that Theo. What you have said makes sense. I was puzzled that his bottom and legs were wet but where he was lying was'nt. It is obvious that he is using his litter tray but as you say the wee is going all over his legs. I'll get him to the vet tomorrow morning and hopefully get something to ease his discomfort. x
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:39 am

Sorri I missed this Jo, how's Dexy now?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Jay wrote:Sorri I missed this Jo, how's Dexy now?

Thanks for asking Jay. Well Dexy had 3 visits to the vets and three different diagnosis.
1 Possible arthiritis. No treatment given, just to keep an eye on him.
2 Possible kidney problems. Given an antibiotic injection
3 Follow up visit, different vet, he said Dexy's stomach did not feel right and gave him an injection of antibiotics, gut stimulant and pain killer.Said to bring him back if he did not improve.
Our wee man did perk up for a few days but I still think he is not right. He was always a greedy chap, who as soon as he saw me approach the shed would be at his bowl in a micro second waiting impatiently for his food. He now seems very disinterstered, just has a nibble and goes and lies down again. So another vet visit is on the cards.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Hmm this is a tricky one.... I think really the vet is going to be the only one to come up with a solution. Hugs though hun x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Poor Dexy Sad
The arthritis would probably show on a X-Ray, and Metacam would relieve the pain, which may in turn increase his appetite, although you'd need to ask about Metacam, if it's found that his Kidneys are weak - that said, we have to live for the moment, and pain relief is, IMHO, a primary concern. After all that trouble we had with Berts, it was the pain relief that revived his appetite, and stopped hi going into daily staisis. It's interesting that he perked up after a PR jab.

I can't help you with the other things though, sorry, please give him a cuddle from us xx
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down