Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rehoming Advice Please...

+3
KatieB
Snowy
Magoo
7 posters

Go down

Rehoming Advice Please... Empty Rehoming Advice Please...

Post by Magoo Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:33 am

I feel rubbish writing this. I'm just not sure what to do anymore. I am considering rehoming my 2 little girl bunnies Crying or Very sad I have tried for the last few weeks to make this work but it just isn't. There are loads of reasons. It's going to cost nearly £300 next month for their spaying and vaccinations. We can afford it but it's going to be tight and obviously something will have to give. The kids need school uniforms and it's my son's birthday too. It;s not jsut that though, the cost of hay and food is starting to effect me. That's the financial side of things which is obviously very hard but I would cope if that was the only reason.

Pippin is still having days wher ehe will not tolerate the younger ones. He will nip and chase and this morning he actually pinned down Pippa so she couldn't move and just lay there squeaking. I think once they are spayed things will probably calm down but it is obvious he isn't too happy having them around.

It's also causing a strain on my marriage which as some of you may know, it's been rocky recently. OH says the house smells all the time which it probably does. They are cleaned out daily but the girls spray everywhere so there are probably places I don't even know about yet! I'm also just so tired. I seem to be down the vets all the time with one pet or another which is draining. I don't drive so it's taxi's there and back which costs a fortune.

I know it seems all I'm doing is moaning but all of those reasons have got me down. I admit it, I made a mistake in getting the little ones to bond with Pippin. It was too much for me with the cats and our 4 children. I am so angry with myself for doing it and being like those people I always compalin about, who get a pet without thinking and then regret it and put it in a rescue centre. I'm sure I will be judged by some who read this and by the rescue place who take the bunnies if I can find one. But I can't do anything else so I will accept it. I don't want Pippin to go to a new home. I want him to stay which in a way makes me feel worse because I'm choosing to split up the bond which might make him sad. I feel so bad about all of this, really I do.

I would appreciate any advice or information on how to rehome the bunnies as I read it can be difficult as lots of centres are full Crying or Very sad I'm so sorry to be having to write this.
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Rehoming Advice Please... Empty Re: Rehoming Advice Please...

Post by Snowy Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:43 am

The first thing is don't panic, take a deep breath, have a cup of tea and relax for a minute, sometimes things get a bit over the top and weigh us down but when we look at the realities of what's happening it's not that bad at all, I am sure they will be a lot better when they are neutered as I should imagine Pippin can smell them and it's upsetting all of them, do they get on normally?, are they all free ranging in the house?, deep down do you want to keep them all?, sorry for so many questions

Last edited by Snowy on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks Theo. There are days where they all sit together and groom each other which is lovely. Then there are days like today where they keep going for each other.

They have a large enclosure which they spend the day in then they are out at night.

I don't want to give up. I want things to be better. I feel like I've failed them for wanting to rehome them. In an ideal world, I wouldn't even be thinking of giving them up.
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:50 am

Ok, so it sounds like the bond between them is good? that's a good start, it sound like you really want to keep them all, in my honest opinion as they are bonded you would have to rehome all of them together, so it's a case of getting them neutered and vaccinated then?
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:56 am

Would they have to be rehomed altogether? I did wonder if Pippin would be depressed without them.

I am hoping it will be better when they are neautered. They are too young at the moment though and maybe it won't change anything. I know I'm being such a defeatist.
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:59 am

Yes, if they are bonded then it wouldn't be fair to split them unless they were fighting, from what you say they get on but he is just getting frstrated because they are not neutered and he can smell them and wants to hump them probably, if we can help you through this then I am sure they will all settle in a threesome and be happy together, how old are they?,
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:26 am

They are 4 months old. I didn't think pippin would be effected by them being unneautered because he is neutered Embarassed
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:24 am

Ah right, so they will be ready to be neutered next month then, yes Pippin is affected because he is a young healthy male and he has got two gorgeous little girls that aren't neutered and he wants to hump them, it's only natural, once they are neutered I think it will all calm down and they will settle into a nice little group, I have a group of five and there are 3 girls and 2 boys, that's mummy and her 4 babies, they have all been neutered and live together very happily, they all groom each other and snuggle up with each other, they love living together

I really think you need to ride it out and be patitent for just a little bit longer and then I think when it's done they will settle down, are they very small girls?, I mean about how much do they weigh?
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Hey Emma,

What a horrible time you are having. I think theo is right and that they will stop that they will prob stop the spraying and they will all get on better when they are spayed.

Are there any charities out there that will help with the cost of the spaying? Like the PDSA (i dont know if they do buns??)

I hope you are okay hun, what a horrible position to be in.

Thinking of you, remember that we are all here for support.

Katie
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnaT Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Yes the PDSA do cover rabbits so def worth looking in to. Don't rush into anything, just remember you have the support of people on this forum too!
AnnaT
AnnaT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks everyone. I feel much better now. I think I was just having a low couple of days where the pressure was mounting up.

I do think there will be improvement once the girls are spayed so I'm going to be patient and see how things go.

Thanks again Happy Hoppers Smile xx
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Glad you are feeling better Emma.

We are always here if you need us!

Love to your brood - fluffy and non fluffy!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnaT Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Glad you are feeling better too Smile Give your bunnies a cuddle from me Smile
AnnaT
AnnaT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Hugs to you Emma. Sometimes life just builds up and bullies you. Hope things get better when the girlies are spayed. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Oh sweetie, don't rush anything yet. You sound so down apart from anything else? Hugs x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Sorry you are having a tough time! Thinking of you!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down