Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell me about lead/harness for bunny walkies...

+2
NickieM
Vince the bunny
6 posters

Go down

Tell me about lead/harness for bunny walkies... Empty Tell me about lead/harness for bunny walkies...

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Please can you tell me about walking leads for rabbits? I've seen some lovely photos of bunnies being able to explore areas they wouldn't normally be able to explore. I'm intrigued and would like to learn more. Thank you!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Tell me about lead/harness for bunny walkies... Empty Re: Tell me about lead/harness for bunny walkies...

Post by NickieM Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:43 pm

It's a bit of a contentious issue as some people don't like them and think they are dangerous as the bunny might get tangled in it.

I have one for Felix purely because his run isn't huge like the other two's run. I have put it on him a couple of times but I don't think that he likes being taken for a walk, but he does like it if we tether him while we are sitting by the swingy chair. He will sniff around and hop about and even has lain down and just relaxed.

It depends on your bun's personality. Felix is a very very docile, almost subservient bun so it is hard to tell whether he likes it or not. So I only do it if it is a nice day and I think he would like a trot around the garden.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Tell me about lead/harness for bunny walkies... Empty Re: Tell me about lead/harness for bunny walkies...

Post by ElleyMay Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:54 pm

I put Brynn in one once and she went absolutely crazy. It would be dangerous and irresponsible for me to ever attempt it again. Hippo probably wouldn't even notice it, but I see no real reason to put him in one... especially if Brynn can't join him. Both of my buns come when you call them so I am able to let them run around in my parents back yard but I still wouldn't let them roam in like say the woods or something Laughing
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Mine don't listen to a bloody word I say to them so there is no way I could let them out of their compound (they spend far too much time trying to get out anyway - like Pinkie and the Brain!)

I would love to be able to let them freerange in the garden on a nice summer day at the weekend. I have this lovely fantasy of sitting in the garden with a glass of wine watching them hopping around, binkying and generally being happy, contented bunnies.

The reality is that they would eat all my plants, dive into the extremely thick leylandii hedge that surrounds the garden and not come out. They would then be an absolute nightmare to round up as they avoid every attempt to be caught and make such a total fuss about being touched.

So sadly it is a pipedream.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:11 pm

I have leads for both of mine and I was really worried Luna would hate it because she is a complete grump, doesnt really like being held etc. But she was fine when I put it on her and LOVES hopping around the garden...sometimes its hard to keep up Wink! It's not like taking a dog for a walk tho...u kinda hav to let the rabbit walk you albino
Thistle loves it too Smile. They've only got tangled up a couple of times....and that was when theyve tried to run under a chair or smething, but it was easily fixed. Dogs get tangled up in their leads too, so it wasnt a massive problem Smile. And yeah it's really nice to let them explore where they wouldn't be able to get too if they were just in a pen (can't have mine free range cause we have two dogs)
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:20 pm

I've only tried the harness on Felix. I just can't imagine putting in on Gloria Shocked Shocked or Wolfie, I would be slashed to pieces Shocked Shocked
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:15 pm

NickieM wrote:Mine don't listen to a bloody word I say to them so there is no way I could let them out of their compound (they spend far too much time trying to get out anyway - like Pinkie and the Brain!)

I would love to be able to let them freerange in the garden on a nice summer day at the weekend. I have this lovely fantasy of sitting in the garden with a glass of wine watching them hopping around, binkying and generally being happy, contented bunnies.

The reality is that they would eat all my plants, dive into the extremely thick leylandii hedge that surrounds the garden and not come out. They would then be an absolute nightmare to round up as they avoid every attempt to be caught and make such a total fuss about being touched.

ROFL I love this Nickie... it's so true of your three!

Surprisingly Josephine can tolerate the leesh, i used it on her before we got Bruce. But Bruce, being a bunny of little brain, COMPLETELY freaks out, doesn't understand what's happening, and runs as fast as he can away from the leesh... not realising it's attached to his body. Laughing
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:17 am

NickieM wrote:

ROFL Laughing Laughing Laughing That made me chuckle!!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:28 pm

The only thing that worries me is that if you were out with the bun on the lead there would be nothing to stop something attacking. A dog or something.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:29 pm

NickieM wrote:Mine don't listen to a bloody word I say to them so there is no way I could let them out of their compound (they spend far too much time trying to get out anyway - like Pinkie and the Brain!)

This has really made me laugh.....cos I know its so true!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down