Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peggy in for a dental

+3
NickieM
Vince the bunny
Rhianna
7 posters

Go down

Peggy in for a dental Empty Peggy in for a dental

Post by Rhianna Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:39 am

Any spare vibes for Peggy would be appreciated. I noticed last week she wasn't nomming as enthusiastically and had to give her a bottom bath one day as she had a very messy bottom. She was eating - or I would have taken her to the vet sooner - but only in a very desultory way.

I took her in this morning first thing and she does need a dental. Although the vet doesn't usually do ops on a Sat he said he will do it today. I'm still trying to get the money together to get Pippa (stray kitten) neutered so he agreed to do the dental and a bottom shave for £50.

I took Sue in with Peggy (they are bonded) and the good news is that Sue has put on a little weight. Sue only has half a kidney working and lost loads of weight and my vet had hinted about imminent PTS. I did think she had got a bit plumper but worried it may have been wishful thinking on my part so I am relieved that it is fact. I know feeding her wholemeal bread (with oats) isn't ideal but it is keeping her weight up and she loves it. She has survived longer than the vet expected so I am going to continue with her rather odd diet (high calorie, high moisture, low calcium).

I have to go to work now but can pick Peggy up at 11.45 am. I just hope she is OK as she is over four and I know buns are a risk under a GA.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Peggy in for a dental Empty Re: Peggy in for a dental

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:50 pm

I hopr all goes well for Peggy, and thats great news that Sue has put on a little weight Very Happy
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:03 pm

I hope that she has come through the op ok. It is a such a worry when they are older buns.

Good news about Sue though. If she has minimal time left, the I don't think a strange diet is going to do her any harm and she seems to be enjoying it.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:47 pm

Peggy came through the op OK but she still isn't eating much Crying or Very sad She gets incredibly stressed and kicks and struggles if I try and syringe feed her and most of it goes down her front. I did manage to give her her Baytril injection today and got some pineapple juice down her. I noticed her eating some carrot tops too.

My car has to go into the garage tomorrow as the brake pads have worn right down but Peggy needs to see the vet again so I am not sure what I am going to do. The garage want the car before my vet opens and I have already postponed it once after working all night Thursday. I've also got a busy day at work and my funding is up for renewal so my Manager is being very strict about me sticking to my hours. I'm doing two jobs tomorrow. I may go to the vet before they open and just hope they will see me without an appointment first.

Juggling three jobs and my fur family is really difficult sometimes but the animals always come first.

I don't know what is wrong with Peggy as it clearly wasn't her teeth. I know when Justin stopped eating it was eventually diagnosed as a tumour and he had to go to the bridge and with Sue it was her kidneys failing.

Am very worried Crying or Very sad

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:55 pm

Good to hear that she came through OK. Hoping that she is just taking a little longer to get back to normal eating. Maybe overnight she will eat a bit better. Sending you lots of car and bunny vibes. XX
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Sad Despite having a dental on Saturday Peggy still isn't eating properly. I gave her a baytril injection yesterday and tried her with some critical recovery paste but she wouldn't swallow it. The only thing I could get down her was some pineapple juice and that was because she licked it off her paws and face. She kicked and struggled when I tried to feed her.

Took her back to the vet this morning and he decided to keep her in and tube feed her. I 'phoned earlier and she has eaten some dandelions (not sure where the vet found those as my supply has run out) and they have managed to syringe feed her a little. She's had another baytril injection and a steroid one as well and they are keeping her overnight to continue with the syringe feeding.

I am sad she is staying there but she has Sue with her and their cages are big. My concern is that she is an outdoor bun and she will be kept indoors all night. I have spoken to the vet nurse who said the room is kept at a constant temperature and she will be fine. I have to 'phone at 9.00 am and see how she is doing.

Vibes for Peggy would be appreciated please. I so hope she will be OK - but it's good news she is eating dandelions.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Millions of Vibes for Peggy! Come on little one. You can do it. Get that food down you!

Thinking of you karen. x x x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:14 pm

She is in the best place and at least they are getting some food down her. Hopefully, she will be back with you soon. sending lots of healing vibes for her. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:29 am

sending loads of vibes for Peggy. I hope she is nomming her dinner again quickly.
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:07 am

how is she doing now?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:36 pm

The vet thinks she is playing me Sad

I do work a lot but I have been checking on her regularly and she doesn't seem to be eating at all, yet there is the odd dropping around her fur - not huge, but quite solid and a reasonable size. She is also still very feisty when I pick her up. I took Pippa in for her second injection and told the vet Peggy didn't seem to eat much and he said she ate when she was there - but not when she knew she was being watched. She was separated from Sue for a short time so they could monitor her intake and outake - and both were fine.

I've just bought some broccoli for a treat and put two pieces in - one by Sue and one by Peggy. Sue shouldn't have it reallly as it is too high in calcium - but it was only a small piece. Sue started nomming enthusiastically and Peggy just sat there. I went inside and peeped out of the kitchen window and saw Peggy tucking in. It's not the first time I have seen her eat when she thinks I am not looking. The vet thinkis it may be because she was neglected before she went to rescue - she is attention seeking. I have also made the mistake of trying her with treats if she doesn't eat her food. I think Peggy is being a very clever bun and I am being a manipulated Bunny Mummy.

If she stops being feisty I have to take her straight back to the vet. She's had a dental and she isn't losing weight and she is producing droppings so I do think she is eating when I am not looking!! Little madam!!!

One morning I was out in the cold at 1.00 am trying to tempt her with things - I even went and picked the last bit of mint I could find. I was so worried about her. I will get her weight checked on Tuesday when I take Pippa in for her spay just to reassure myself - but she doesn't look or feel any thinner.

Thank you for asking. I can't be cross with her - she did need a dental last Saturday and she is such a lovely bunster. She just saw a way of getting more treats - and I fell for it Embarassed

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:56 pm

OOOhhhhhh smart bunny! Who would have thought they could work out to be so manipulative like that! I am so surprised. An attention-seeking rabbit. I think a couch and a cosy chat is necessary.

If you keep an eye on her weight and she isn't dropping then she must be getting food from somewhere. Felix one of mine actually eats his poops sometimes - not caecal ones, so may she does too and that would explain why there aren't many for you to find.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Vibes for Peggy xxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:15 pm

Daisy B ate when we weren't looking, and refused when we were Laughing

I hope she's ok, sorry I missed this last week Hugs
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:20 pm

ooooo she's played a blinder there! Bless her. Hope daisy wasn't on the internet giving her instruction!!

Sending them both vibes, and cheeky nose rubs for peggy!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down