Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter tips?

3 posters

Go down

Winter tips? Empty Winter tips?

Post by Indie22 Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:50 pm

The last few days has been beyond bitter out there. Last year my water bottles only froze in the shed when we hit -15. They froze today and my carrots and vedge which is in a barrel in my shed and in a bag are also like lollipops! Any tibs on avoiding bottles freezing too often. Im out with them at least twice a day so they never go long without being changed but still. Jeffs hutch is also next to the only ancient window. the glass has slipped down over the years and left a huge gap so hes getting a draught and staying in his bed a lot. I filled a large empty milk bottle with hot water and placed it infront of the mesh , next to the window. Will hopefully defrost the window a bit and hes already comfy next to it out in the open. I could change it about 3 times a day but gonna see how long it takes to cool. Might have to buy another couple of microwave heatpads. The one we have has lasted 13 years or more. 6 mins in the microwave and warm for 10 hours.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2010-03-08

http://www.eladonnsreptiles.com

Back to top Go down

Winter tips? Empty Re: Winter tips?

Post by NickieM Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:36 pm

I tend not to give my buns anything other than loads of extra hay as food and bedding and extra pellets. I know a lot of people use snufflesafes, but I have never found we need it. I cover their hutch with a huge tarpaulin and put them away before it gets dark in winter (or when I get in from work).

Both buns are out and about most of the day and don't spent their time huddled in the hutch, so must be happy and cosy.

I have had Wolfie for 4 years and Felix for 2 (3 winters as I found him in January). They are amazingly resilient to the cold as long as they are dry and have lots of bedding. Last night our temperature was -17.1.

Water bottles are a bloody pain though. I have mine wrapped in three layers of bubble wrap then packed into an old sock which I double back and twist around the spout. However, it is the metal spout that is the weak spot and it freezes. I have two bottles that I rotate. That is all you can do really.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:38 pm

I have never had to before as I know how well reabbits cope. Im not bothered at all with the groups and pair as they have each other and a re happy huddling together but I have nouget who doesnt like much bedding etc and tiny jeff both on their own. Its not so much the temperature but the draught im concerned about. We hit -16 last year and not a problem but they all had company back then.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Could you put the milk bottle wrapped in a towel into his bed? That would be like a hot water bottle, but one that wouldn't get nibbled. You could also try putting some polythene loosely over the wire part of his hutch and weigh it down with a brick, that would cut some of the draught for him. Poor wee chap.

Don't know what you can do with Nougat apart from try the above too.

Hope you can solve some of your problems. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:45 pm

I am very hopefull the 2 will be together for next winter as they are getting on but would rather they had minimal contact till the mite problem is away. She has an appointment in a week

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:00 pm

Hoping they are wee pals next year too. It is so much better for them. Just can't believe how cold it is.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:07 pm

It was freezing on tuesday all day and night. Today isnt bad. Its meant to get milder after xmas. I hope so.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:30 pm

[b]Ruffin says McVities put a magic warming up powder in there biscuit's but I just think she is trying to con me again No
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down