Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

free range bunnies- problems!

3 posters

Go down

free range bunnies- problems! Empty free range bunnies- problems!

Post by Kate7590 Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi, sorry I havent posted here for ages!

As you may know I have 4 buns here, Charlie, Annie, Hazel & Opal.
All live together [Charlie nuetered, Annie Nuetered but the young 2 not.]
They have their own shed which they are shut in at night time, just incase of cats or foxes, and are allowed free access to 'their garden', which is at the end of our garden, during the day..I open their shed at about 8am and they are shut inside again at about 7pm.

Recently we are having problems with them digging! Mainly the 2 young girls and have had to put broken paving slabs all around the perimeter of their garden to stop them getting out and into maybe neighbours gardens and under our shed, the decking etc etc.
Well today I went out to give them more hay [about 1pm and realised Hazel was missing... Looked around for ages and realised she had dug a burrow under the decking!
Opal and Annie both stood behind me with muddy feet and faces so they had obviously helped!

Hazel can get out, I know because iv seen her go in and out a few times, each time I see her out I try and sneak my way outside to block off the hole but the sneeky little bugga runs strait back under the decking before I have chance!

Has anyone got any long-er term suggestions for me?
You see I can block off this hole but there is a VERY high chance theres going to be many more!!

Thanks for your time Smile

By the way this is their garden, the shed on the right is their shed and you may just be able to see Hazel [orange and white lop, stood just infront of the hole!

You can also see all the broken paving stones iv had to put around the perimeter to stop them digging!
free range bunnies- problems! 001-1
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

free range bunnies- problems! Empty Re: free range bunnies- problems!

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm

My buns are outdoors and have dug a huge burrow. I also have neighbours whose rabbits decided that they wouldn't live in their hutch at all and permanently moved into their burrow to live.

Mine didn't dig the burrow to escape but because they wanted a bolt hole. Indeed the entrance to the burrow is right in the middle of their compound and has never breached the fence.

I think it is the response of a happy rabbit that is at home and is setting its roots down. As long as they are not digging anywhere that will undermine your house or their shed, I would let them do it as it gives them something to do and somewhere to go when they get a fright. You could always put a big stone down the burrow if it gets too far, but they will have lots of side tunnels and galleries dug too.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm

NickieM wrote:My buns are outdoors and have dug a huge burrow. I also have neighbours whose rabbits decided that they wouldn't live in their hutch at all and permanently moved into their burrow to live.

Mine didn't dig the burrow to escape but because they wanted a bolt hole. Indeed the entrance to the burrow is right in the middle of their compound and has never breached the fence.

I think it is the response of a happy rabbit that is at home and is setting its roots down. As long as they are not digging anywhere that will undermine your house or their shed, I would let them do it as it gives them something to do and somewhere to go when they get a fright. You could always put a big stone down the burrow if it gets too far, but they will have lots of side tunnels and galleries dug too.

Nicky do yours go in at night time or stay out all the time?
Im just worried if I leave it that Ill have problems putting them in at nighttime if I cant get them to come out of their hole :S
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:09 pm

When they first dug it and it was new and shiny, they would go in during the afternoon and sleep there. The first time I thought they had both escaped and was panicking. I then saw a pair of ears emerge and they looked at me like I was mad!! Laughing Laughing

My pair dug theirs inside an old A-frame and Wolfgang used to be a monster to hutch at night and would hide down there if he sussed that bedtime was approaching. I used to block off both ends of the A-frame when I got home from work so at bedtime he couldn't get in. Now he doesn't bother as he knows he will get fed when he goes to bed.

You could make a little frame to put over the entrance and then introduce a night-time ritual if you don't already have one. I always make a kissing noise and put their food in a green tupperware bowl. As soon as they hear the noise they bolt for bed and I don't need to cover the burrow any more.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:12 pm

What a lovely idea of them digging burrows free range bunnies- problems! 317363

I don't want to spoil their fun but if you are worried, could you not lift up the turf and insert some wire mesh under the grass and fit it flush with the shed? Then they can't dig under the shed and escape but can still did in the center of the garden?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:25 pm

yes we were thinking of doing this actually. great minds think alike eh?! Smile
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down