Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clicker Training/Free Range Bunnies

+4
Sparky
Thumper2001
Amelia66
icedancer
8 posters

Go down

Clicker Training/Free Range Bunnies Empty Clicker Training/Free Range Bunnies

Post by icedancer Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:36 pm

In order to prepare for Florence and Dougal being free range (Shocked) I'm thinking that I need to start clicker training them a bit. If I could get them to come when I call their names, and to understand "house" if I need to pen them to clean or whatever, it would be good.

Will a normal dog clicker work?

Any other tips for when I have them free range will be good too. Florence will take to it easily, nothing phases her at all, but I am worried about Dougal. He is better than he was, but he seems to have a bit of a fear of open spaces. I'm guessing he wasn't given space before he was rescued, he's only just started coming out of the pen of his own accord - however it's only after Florence has gone out first. I know he'll get used to it, but I don't want to stress him out too much.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Clicker Training/Free Range Bunnies Empty Re: Clicker Training/Free Range Bunnies

Post by Amelia66 Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Most dog clickers are too loud, but you can get small animal ones.

As far as free range for dougal goes, start with small areas. so one room first, wait till he is completely comfortable expand bit by bit or he may get too overwhelmed and frightened. He may just take longer than florence will, but at least she will help you figure out all the spaces you never thought of to rabbit proof Laughing
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Clicker Training/Free Range Bunnies Empty Re: Clicker Training/Free Range Bunnies

Post by icedancer Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:41 pm

That's going to be Florences' job!! She's so small she manages to get in all sorts of places Laughing She's also very agile, and can jump on things. It's going to be interesting as the living room and kitchen is one room.

I might have to have vodka at the ready (for me not her Laughing)
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:49 pm

I would like to do clicker training too but I have absolutely no idea where to start.

Does anyone know where I could get tips? Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:53 pm

icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:18 pm

The rwaf sell a clicker book. I have found that me buns are scared of all the dog clickers I have found, even the supposed quiet ones. But Bruce and Flo do respond to be told to go in when I want them out of the garden. I use 'In' as the command as it is short and snappy. I have to be in the garden for it to work and sometimes I have to follow Flo. But that is because she can spook at cooking smells in the doorway or something that she doesn't recognise on the floor. Rabbits don't quite respond like dogs, they might take a few minutes to digest the command. You may well find that a lock and lock type container makes the best click as it is softer and it promises a treat. But you have to remember to actually give the treat every now and again to make sure the click still works. I also think rabbits' response it to come to the command so you need to be near what you want them to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm sure Jay did a clicker training video?

Humum bought a clicker for me but it was too clicky Hmmm

She did teach me to periscope at the word 'hup', for a bit of Fenugreek Crunchie Very Happy although it took me a while to figure out I couldn't just periscope madly and get more crunchies, it was the word which was the key...

ETA - Dougal - make sure he has places he can dart into and hide behind or under as you give him more space Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:35 pm

You may well just find Dougal is more settled in the new place. Flo really came out of her shell when we moved here.

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:16 am

Ooh sounds exciting.

Jay did do a series of clicker training videos, with Bertie if I remember correctly. I can't find the link now, but I am sure if you search the forum he's given heaps of info on how he did it and the rewards / challenges.

NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:00 am

Clever Clicker Bunnies.

https://youtu.be/phf9jalQBjw

https://youtu.be/hgDHWLyztCI

We bought one once to see what they were all about but they seemed a bit noisy and some of the buns didn't like it so we threw it away .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:35 am

I've thought about trying clicker training with Thumper, but he is such a laid back kinda bunn that he'd probably just s-t-a-r-e at me. Jay's videos with the clicker training are amazing. Stewie is one smart bunn!
~holly~
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 am

Jay did something with clicker training it was brilliant.

Im at work at the mo, so dont have time to look but there is something on here somewhere about it!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down