Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about neutering

+3
alio
Kate7590
alicia
7 posters

Go down

Questions about neutering Empty Questions about neutering

Post by alicia Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 pm

As I said on the other thread, I unfortunately won't be able to get the rescue rabbits, and I don't think another rescue round here would let me adopt from them because they all have the same guidelines mostly, so I was thinking of rehoming from someone who doesn't want their rabbit anymore or something like that so I can still give a rabbit a home. Because the rabbit wouldn't be from a rescue, I don't think it would be neutered before I get it, and I am happy to get him neutered but is there anyway to protect the hutch from spraying before I get him neutered? I really don't want pee marks all up the walls of the hutch if there is anyway I can prevent it or protect the hutch from it.
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Questions about neutering Empty Re: Questions about neutering

Post by Kate7590 Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:58 pm

may I ask why a rescue wouldnt consider you suitable to have a rabbit?
I think alot of rescues guidlines are pretty good regarding space etc so if you wouldnt fit their criteria I wonder if a rabbit is the right pet for you?
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by alio Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:10 pm

I missed the other thread too. Why won't they home rescue buns to you? Sad I think one of the main problems of homing from someone who wants rid of their bun is unless you know them personally you need to be really careful. They could be breeders just getting rid of surplus stock, maybe they have health problems already that they don't want to pay vet bills for, that sort of thing. My experience of quite a few of these people is that they lie just to get rid Crying or Very sad
alio
alio
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:25 pm

My run is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft which is a bit too small for rescue guidelines and I can't buy another run. I was going to let my rabbit go in this run during the day whilst I am at school, then when I get home from school he could come into the house to hop around in the utility room (which is unheated) a few people on this forum told me that would be ok, what do you think?
Thank you for the help Smile I will be very careful, and I've had a look online and know what to look for in a healthy rabbit so I'll make sure I get a healthy rabbit Smile
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alio Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 pm

What size is the hutch and is the run attached to it? Sorry for all the questions you've probably answered a million times before Embarassed Laughing
alio
alio
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:33 pm

The hutch is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft and the run will be attatched to it Smile
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alio Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Oh!!! Which rescue said they wouldn't rehome to you? They are guidelines not exact musts. The hutch is a brilliant size and you have done so much homework on bunnies I have no doubt they will be coming to a good home. They have many different buns to fit different circumstances. I have 4 buns that are so huge that even those guidelines would be too small and they needed a shed. My latest bunny from the RSPCA wanted the right hutch size but then wanted him to have exercise but didn't mind if that was a secure run attached to the hutch, a secure garden or something else just so long as he got that free range time. I wouldn't give up on a rescue bun or 2 because I think your plan sounds ok and if I remember rightly were you after little ones?
alio
alio
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Rescue criteria aren't always set in stone, there is usually room for flexibility, if they can see that there will be plenty of exercise time etc. As far as i know, the hutch size & run would meet most criteria, unless you were adopting a couple of large rabbits. I would recommend giving them a call, asking someone to do a home check, and then they will advise you if any changes that you need to make, if any. Once you have done that, and they are happy, you should be able to proceed.
Homechecks are not a test, they are advisory as well, rescues do want people to have their bunnies after all, but to the right homes Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:06 pm

If you perhaps restricted yourself to smaller rabbits and not big lops, you might be able to get a pair from a rescue. Fingers crossed that something comes up for you.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:16 pm

They wouldn't rehome to me because the rabbits are used to being in a really big run all the time, and if they lived with me, they'd have to be in a smaller run for a few hours a day and come indoors at night, and they would rather the rabbits went to a home with a bigger run. I can understand why, because it's not really very fair on the rabbits to go to a home where they won't have as much space as they had before.
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:18 pm

I can understand what they are saying. It is a disappointment for you, but you are seeing it the right way. Love Love

You will get your buns my dear, don't worry. You deserve them for all the attention to detail that you have worried about before you even get them!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:24 pm

I think you will be an excellent bunny mummy.

I think if you stick to a couple of small sized buns too, there shouldnt be a problem.

Im glad you are not being put off about rescuing a bun or two it really is a wonderful thing to do!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:27 pm

You might get two small ones like Daisy B. *gulp* Now that would be fun! Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Laughing Daisy B is very cute. Sorry I don't know a lot about rabbits is he a netherland dwarf? (I think I read that Daisy B was a male, sorry if I got it wrong! Smile )
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:33 pm

I cant see that 6x2x2 is too small for a small bun.
Hopfully the rescue will change their mind coz you sound like you've thoroughly thought all this out Smile
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Hiya

Perhaps you could adopt some small breed rabbits? If you are not ready to adopt till march, I'm sure somebun will turn up that will be delighted with your setup Questions about neutering 497709

As for the neutering and spraying, I have limited experience with the spraying as my boy Vince wasn't neutered when I got him and luckily he didn't spray, he was done at 5mths. However, when I adopted Hutch, it appeared that Rosie started spraying as she wasn't neutered at the time, but the spraying still continues. I don't really know who is spraying to be sure, they are both neutered now but the hutch is a right state inside Questions about neutering 1148 . I just scrub it with pet disinfectant every few days and leave it to air whilst the buns are on the lawn. It doesn't smell bad in there, and it is their home so if they want their pee up the walls then so be it. Questions about neutering 811805

How about a rescue a bit further afield? There are these amazing people out there who do bunny runs so maybe some transport could be sorted?

Try not to give up on the rescue center idea though, that is the best place to find your buns, failing that how about the [email=P@h]P@h[/email] adoption center? Vince came from there, I neutered him and paired him up with Faline and Hazel (and then neutered them, bloomin expensive lark!!).

I wish you the best of luck Questions about neutering 913859
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:44 pm

I did think about Pets at Home adoption if I can't go to a rescue, I think I'll keep looking for and emailing rescues first but if not I could get one from the adoption part of Pets at Home.
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:34 pm

alicia wrote:Laughing Daisy B is very cute. Sorry I don't know a lot about rabbits is he a netherland dwarf? (I think I read that Daisy B was a male, sorry if I got it wrong! Smile )

Yep daisy is a boy.....we were told he was a girl Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed By the time knew he already knew his name so we felt bad about changing it!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:37 pm

Getting back to your original question..........I dont think your bun will spray the hutch hun. Others may have different experiences but to scent mark they tend to put poo's everywhere.

The neutering is more for their long term health and happiness. I dont think you will find spraying a problem. I never did.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:39 pm

When Wolfie was a young 'un, before he was neutered, I remember him jumping sideways and spaying me as he jumped. It was rank!

However, after his deplumming, I haven't seen him spray although there are spray marks in their bedroom. I just tend to leave it as I think they like their scent to be there and it doesn't look too bad. Laughing Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:42 pm

NickieM wrote:When Wolfie was a young 'un, before he was neutered, I remember him jumping sideways and spaying me as he jumped. It was rank!

However, after his deplumming, I haven't seen him spray although there are spray marks in their bedroom. I just tend to leave it as I think they like their scent to be there and it doesn't look too bad. Laughing Laughing

Trust wolfie!!!!!!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down