Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescues seem to be filling up :(

+4
LilyGrace
Ruffin
Velvet.Tears
Jay
8 posters

Go down

Rescues seem to be filling up :( Empty Rescues seem to be filling up :(

Post by Jay Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 am

I've heard that lots of rescues are being overwhelmed with buns needing new homes, it's so sad. I got contact from the RSPCA this morning, about Chesterfield branch, who normally have 10 or so buns, but currently have 31 Sad Clicky, is this representative across the country?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Rescues seem to be filling up :( Empty Re: Rescues seem to be filling up :(

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:21 am

I'm not completely sure how many are in our local rescue, according to the website only 1.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:43 am

[b]I was going to put this as a new topic yesterday but this seems a perfect follow through. Are the rescues becoming to stringent with there rehome criteria. I have heard of two insidents in the last week where perfectly good homes not for rabbits but for cats were turned away. The first was somone who has had a cat for the last 14 years the cat passed away late last year she then found a cat in rescue, the cat was around 4 so not a kitten the woman is 64 has a husband who also loves cats they live on a very quite road in a bungalow. They had a home visit and were turned down because of her age!!!!! come on what do they think was going to happen she was going to croak and land on the cat. She has now gone to a pet shop and purchased a kitten with no questions asked encoraging the breeding of cats for the pet trade. Whilst I apreciate the need for checks to be made are we going so far that the rehome's are going to be left with many animals because they are driving good loving carers away with there red tape and pushing them towards the pet trade.
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:57 am

It's a tricky one Ruffin, but a good point that does come up from time to time. Rescues have criteria, and small and private ones can be flexible with that, some are not, but these are their animals that they are giving to other people, and in this respect they have to right to stipulate exactly their terms. The animals are not charity cases as such, but they belong to the rescue, and in this instance, what may seem like a daft decision, may well be based on other factors which you aren't party too, but obviously I don't know that, and on the face of it, that decision does seem to be extreme.

It's my experience that many people who are refused rescue animals (in the first instance) can take it quite personally, and become a bit defensive about it, and will belittle the rescue for their decision, whilst not nec. revealing the full reasons why. A good rescue will give advice as to what changes need to be made before they do hand over an animals, and if the 'client' is serious about their ethical decision, they will make these changes and get their rescue bun when they have. If not, some will stomp off to a pet shop or breeder, with an 'I'll show you' approach.
Rescues are not in the business of not re-homing animals, in the main, but they have a duty of care to those animals to place them in the best home they can, and private rescues will all be different, because people are all different.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:29 pm

I can see Ruffins point of view, but it's also understandable why a rescue would put in place certain rules. It's such a tough call!!
That besides, I expect as we all know, people want a cute tiny fluffy bunny...around here for example the only rabbit rescue I know of is rather hard to get too. I wander if this puts people off going to them because it's easier to j ust pop in the petshop and buy one here n now rather than having to travel a distance which with out a car would be even more difficult. I'm NOT blaming that on the rescue, as obviously the places where they have them are where they can be bigger and in a quieter area.

The cat rescue I'm volunteering at is full to the brim and can't take in any more atm because there are 40 or so cats there - some permanent but the other half are not. In all honesty I had never even heard of them until I saw the newspaper article (and infact are not hard to get to at all which is why I can go there). Perhaps some rescues need better advertising? I wander if it's something people like us can help with or suggest scratch

Also, I know it is the fault of people bringing them in to be rehomed, maybe this is the back lash from christmas?? Possibly! Just wanted to point out I wasn't trying to blame all of it on the rehoming places, just what I notice here is that I barely see a mention of them anywhere unless I go looking for it - if people aren't aware of it they probably wouldn't think to rehome...I dunno
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:51 pm

[b]The other case I heard about but didnt rite up as I dont know them personly will have done rescues probably quite a bit of harm. The woman in question was a radio presenter on Real radio covering Yorkshire, Humberside and linconshire and definatly Chesterfield mentioned by Jay. She was telling people on her morning program that she was a cat owner and went to rehome 2 kittens a home visit was aranged then she was turned down for some small reason. This then sparked of many people Emailing and texting in about there similar experiences, A lot of listners to the show I am sure would have been put off going to a rescue for the fear of rejection and again because it is so mutch easyer for them to go to A pet shop and have no hassle
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

It's an interesting one, a prime example is the young lady who posted here (I cannot remember her user name, really sorry Embarassed ) who had a lovely set up but was refused because the run was a couple of feet short of their requirements. She had done her research and came across as a responsible potential bunny owner, yet she was turned down.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by charyuop Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:04 pm

The problem in my opinion is that taking a bunny is not like taking a cat or a dog. Bunnies is like adopting a child. They require more attention, more work and they are further more delicate. So the demand it is smaller...just my opinion.

charyuop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Hmmm, I do see what people are saying and obviously I wouldnt recommend people not going to a rescue but I wish rescues would do more things on a case by case basis, not one rule fits all because it doesnt.

I know that when I get a dog in august time, we will not even step into any RSPCA branch or Battersea dogs home. Why? Because we are not suitable to have a dog according to them. when we wanted a dog pre rocky, they said "Another dog will stress out your 8 year old, shes only small and will get too stressed" mum explained bonnie has lived with a dog her whole life until he died 18 months before, and they said no. both rescues.

And we have rocky and he is happy, and he did not bother Bonnie one little bit.
You all know me, and would you guys stop me having a dog? of course not. But they were so rude to us it was unreal.

Another rescue said this little JRT could only go somewhere with children over 12. My brother was 11 years 5 months. my mum explained he grew up with Ceasar who died, still lived with Bonnie, and we also fostered a mentally unstable dog for a year, and the 6 months my brother lacked in age - he had more than that in experiences. She said surely its better he went somewhere with a child who knows dogs, rather than a 12 year old who has no experience? they said absolutely not, come back in six months. which we did, and of course he had gone.

As far as rescuing dogs go, I am actually scared to go to a rescue because they made my mum feel like rubbish, and it resulted in me and my brother so upset all them years ago.

I will go, but I can see why some people dont bother sometimes, and i know thats controversial but i have had some very very negative experiences.

i know my response is biased to dogs, but just wanted to add my opinion :)xx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:30 pm

POsted this at the same time as you Sj Wink

It could be argued (Devil's advocate here) that rescues are doing something that the law in this country and the new animal welfare act does not do, which is to set enforceable standards for who should be able to look after an animal. We wouldn't let someone with no training operate machinery, drive a car, become a surgeon etc, so why do we allow people who are completely unsuitable to look after animals correctly, the chance to walk into a shop and buy one?

The shop, as a business has little interest in anything but making a sale, the rescues, by nature, has the animals welfare at it's heart, and it is this that distinguishes them from pet shops.

People may well feel puzzled and even slighted that a rescue has refused them an animal, but most of these places are run by very experienced people, who know the right environment for their animals, and only want the best for them.
I admit that it is a failing of some rescues that they will not even visit a prospective owner before assessing them on something that they may feel is trivial and then refusing them; no-body likes to clumped into a bracket, a generalisation, we are all individual, and I can imagine this approach is quite hurtful, but not all rescues are like that.

Rescues promote standards, if they send an animal to a home where that animal lives under stress, is neglected, or lots of other things,it will either end up back in rescue, or privately rehomed, dead or ignored, (which is worse, IMO).

I think thsi approach should be applauded, and people who don't listen to that experience, and take on board what the rescue has said, try to improve, and make the home & environment right, should, perhaps, question whether that animal is right for them, but in the vas majority of cases, they just go and buy one, with the risk that it will end up in rescue. So many times this happens, you wouldn't believe.

They are a social service to animals, and encourage people to take their ownership more seriously. I would question someone's motives who ignored that advice and just went to a pet shop. People feel that they are rescuing someone's poor animals from a lonely life, but they not be able to provide it with a better one., whilst the rescue, in most cases, can, while the animals is in their care.

Just my opinion too Smile

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:39 pm

I think alot of it depends on the dog,or animal in question.

for example:
I go to a rescue and want "Freddy" the 1 year old pretty dog. My situation isnt as "easy" as say a couple on their own who work from home, so i get turned away without a second look because they KNOW a perfect on paper home will come around quickly because freddy is very rehomeable.

I go to a rescue and want "Tess", the 12 year old elderly girl, and because she isnt as rehomeable, they take the time to find out about us. Im not saying they lower their standards, im just saying that sometimes I feel that you have more time dedicated to you if you are trying for a hard to rehome animal.

And to some extent maybe thats okay, rescues have limited time, volunteers, why check 5 "maybes" when theres an obvious "yes". I do get it. Its just a shame for people like me.

But most people that get turned away are turned away for the right reasons, i do agree with you completely Jay. Theres just a few who get caught in between x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:20 pm

I think it should be done on an individual case, I can see why they have such requirements, but whilst the rescue is saying 'no' to prospective bunny owners who's set ups don't quite meet their requiremnts, another bunny could be potentially sat in a tiny hutch at the bottom of the garden, being ignored and neglected whilst waiting for a place in a rescue.

Something I pondered when I collected Hazel (Hazel coming from an add in the paper from a woman who had too many rabbits free ranging her garden and Hazel was being bullied) she was used to living free range and in a garage overnight. Her free range set up sounds ideal, much better than my 5ft two tier hutch with attached 5ft by 3ft run on the patio, BUT, Hazel was unspeyed, unvaccinated and had been attacked numerous times and had missing fur, scabs, scars and mutilated genitals. Her owner said that 'vets will tell you anything to get you to spend money', when asked if Hazel was vaccinated. Her food brand was changed overnight depending on what was on offer that week.

Is she not therefore better with me even though my set up isn't no where near as good as the freedom she had before? I can't offer her or Faline the freedom they had, but I can keep them warm, dry, safe, feed them the regular same brand food, have them vaccinated, speyed, provide vet care when she needs it and LOVE and willingness to learn about her bunny nature and provide companionship with bunny friends that she is comfortable with.

I doubt I'd be able to adopt from the RSPCA, yet I've recieved several compliments on this forum about the care I provide for my buns and I'm sure if I was doing something wrong, I would have been advised on how I could do it better (well I hope so!)

I'm not running down rescues ,not at all but sometimes it seems they make it quite difficult and need to think of the longterm care a prospective bunny can provide. You could have a fab set up and still get bored/change your mind one year down the line and the buns could end up back in rescue.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:00 am

What an interesting debate Thumbs Up My last response was a bit rushed, and I didn't include that people who already have looked after rabbits, dogs, whatever should be considered in different terms to novices, as their experience does count for something, and it can be rather disrespectful to say to a dog owner of many years that their dog, who they haven't even met, will be be stressed by a new addition, I find that absurd.

I agree that making assumptions without a visit or similar is not, perhaps, giving the sought after animal an opportunity that it deserves, and you raise a good point Elaine in that whilst a bunny in rescue isn't going anywhere, there may be another waiting to go to rescue. There must be so many compromises that have to be made by rescues, due to time, staff and costs that I guess a line must be drawn somewhere, but I still think that standards are good, even if it means upsetting some people every now and then, and sometimes these will be the wrong people, who could have provided a wonderful home. There are other avenues, if people are serious about it.

The other thing is that not all rescues have the same policy, so one may turn you down, whilst another may rehome to you, and both will have valid resons for their decision. One may be able to do a home visit, the other, not, and this could sway a decision. It's a tough call.

Stewie's case is a good example. There are many rescues and re-homing organisations that will not, under any circumstances, rehome a single bunny, unless it is going to be a bonded partner. Whilst I agree that in the majority of cases, bunnies are best in pairs, there are exceptions, and from time to time this policy means that a rabbit can end up injured because of fighting, it has happened.

Some rescues recognise this, and know their buns well enough to know if they are happy alone. They will not rehome a bunny that would be better of paired up, but they will rehome one that is fine on it's own, and AFAIK, they will insist that it's a houserabbit and do a homecheck to confirm that the set up is for this.

I'm well aware of this, and didn't find a rescue that would re-home a single, I was told about Stewie, and contacted the rescue, and stipulated exactly what I was looking for and that I didn't want a bunny that would be unhappy alone. The rescue and I and I were in touch with each other every week for a couple of months before we went to see him, and in those weeks, she was able to asses him and by the time we went to see him, she was happy for him to be a single house bun. As she lived 200 miles away, I sent her videos of our home, so she could see where he would live.
Theo had been here as well, and was able to confirm that our home was suitable.

If I had been looking for a single bun, it's unlikely that I would have found one without that personal connection. the RSPCA wouldn't have rehomed to me, nor would many private rescues, but actually now that I've got to know him better, he is ideally suited to what we have to offer, and presently seems very contented on his own.

I valued Jane's experience and insight, and wouldn't have have pursued it if it wasn't the right thing for him.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:Is she not therefore better with me even though my set up isn't no where near as good as the freedom she had before? I can't offer her or Faline the freedom they had, but I can keep them warm, dry, safe, feed them the regular same brand food, have them vaccinated, speyed, provide vet care when she needs it and LOVE and willingness to learn about her bunny nature and provide companionship with bunny friends that she is comfortable with.

In my opinion, yes, but obviously I'm not a rescue, it's good example of the conundrum though.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 pm

I believe ours are full at the moment. Its probably around the time now after christmas where people are getting bored or regretting buying animals as gifts Sad

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down