Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about P@H and rescues...

3 posters

Go down

Question about P@H and rescues... Empty Question about P@H and rescues...

Post by senatorvass Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:43 am

Matthew and I were just wondering - an honest question - why dont pet stores like P@H only sell animals that they get from rescues - thereby ending the problem of buying animals from pet shops and perpetuating the problems with regards to breeding etc. Surely it would even be cheaper for the pet stores. They could arrange a regular donation to the rescues but the rescues would benefit by freeing up more places and not being snowed under with homeless animals. I just see it as a situation where everyone wins and wonder why it isnt done?

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Question about P@H and rescues... Empty Re: Question about P@H and rescues...

Post by KathyT Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:41 pm

I agree with you, but I think the bottom line is that they can make money selling cute fluffly babies than rescue animals that might be a bit grumpy. Their primary customers are spineless parents responding to "mummy mummy mummy I wanna hamster NOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!"

Unless there was some way of turning a profit from rescues, they wouldn't bother. And as long as neglected bunnies like rescues see need vets and vaccs, there's no way of turning a profit.

What I wonder is why they don't keep their animals a few extra weeks and have them nuetered?
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:50 pm

Well my thinking is they would have a profit because the rescues would let them go for perhaps a bit less as it would be solving such a great crisis in the animal world. So say a breeder sells to P@H for £10 a bunny - rescues could sell for £8 a bunny. Trust me I know that is not a lot but looking at the bigger picture more bunnies would be found homes and fewer bunnies would be irresponsibly bred, hence meaning less long term work for the rescues.

Also I think in this day and age a lot of people - IF - it is easy enough for them, take pleasure in doing something ethical. Its almost in vogue. So Matthew and I were thinking if all the animals in pet shops had a little paragraph written about them on their cage "Thumper is friendly and wants a loving home" or "Rosie was neglected can you give her love?" (I am just literally making it up as I go along I know it could be much more thought through!) people would get a warm fuzzy feeling.

I think people who buy from pet shops perhaps do so because it is so easy - not because they think the animals are any cuter/more loveable. So make it easier for them to do the ethical thing.

Then the hardcore bunnies who need a lot of extra help with health etc can either go to people who really want to get stuck in from a pet shop or they can go to people like us who are willing to do the extra work. But at the moment there are so many bunnies (and indeed all animals).

Also think how many of us have got absolutely gorgeous, adorable little rabbits from rescues. They would be even more "sale-able" in a pet shop. It isnt a difference in the type of animal its a matter of location.

I think I am probably not explaining it very well - in my head I can feel the explanation in a way that I cant get the words to say. But I think if we really thought about it, if other people here, rescuers included thought about it, perhaps we could all work together and write it down cohesively and send it to each and every head office of a pet store. Maybe we could make a change. I think these days people want to be eco, pc, ethical. Its a good time to try to tap into making a change!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Meant to say education on animal care is essential too.

And if people here think it may be workable & want to help me write it out I will take control of it.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:02 pm

I think it would be a brilliant resolution to the age-old problem of too many animals and not enough homes.

However, what P@H like is the predictability of baby animals because they are cute, prompt impulse buys and any problems and breeding defects generally only show once the animal has been sold on.

I would like to see them not selling at all, but all P@Hs linked to a rescue where you could go and buy your pet, but get all the stuff for it from P@H.

The think that annoys me about P@H is that every opportunity is a selling opportunity. I am particularly irritated at all the dog clothing that they stock at the moment. Pandering for the stupid minority who look on a pet as an accessory and something that should be dressed up. They even had a buggy in the shop on Saturday so you could take your dog for a walk. It looked like a baby buggy. Just made to appeal to the little girl who put the cat in her doll's pram kind of person.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:02 pm

I saw that buggy I was Shocked I mean... what?? Although I must say in my village there are two old women (really old) who push their little tiny dogs around in a pram. I think the dogs are old too & perhaps its so they can go out for an airing with arthritis or something??? Or perhaps they are round the twist its hard to tell.

I agree that P@H not selling animals is the ideal, definitely, but they could never be persuaded to give up such a money maker. So maybe this would be a middle ground that would stop the breeding for nothing. Also in my local P@H none of the animals are babies. All the rabbits are full grown and at least the size of mine.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down