Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bonding my trio and pair - day 1

+4
NSD
Ruffin
LilyGrace
Vince the bunny
8 posters

Go down

bonding my trio and pair - day 1 Empty bonding my trio and pair - day 1

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Well, today I bit the bullet and started bonding all my buns. Dh helped, each of equiped with a dustpan and brush to split up any fighting. I set up a neutral space down the side ally and put all the buns in. I was suprised by what happened really. I expected perhaps Hazel to cause a bit of a ruck,and for Rosie and Faline to remember their last fight but it was Vince that suprised me the most. I always thought Vince was the underdog but boy was I wrong! Vince is the 'Daddy', you the man Vince!

Vince and Hutch had a bit of a roly poly session whereas Hutch quickly realised that Vince was in charge and then lots of chasing happened. Vince was also less generous to Rosie and tried to mount her (he was a gentleman with his two girls). Both Rosie and Hutch backed down to Vince, whereas Hazel ignored it all and just watched, so did Faline pretty much. I added some greens and they all sat together for noms, wish I'd had my camera, it was sooooo lovely to see them all eating together bonding my trio and pair - day 1 317363

After half an hour I moved them into the trixie run and Vince chased Rosie and Hutch again, then it all settled down and they all flopped out for a lay down in the sun. Periodically Vince tried to mount Rosie and she'd run off, then at one point they were all doing speedway round the run perimeter, but there was hardly any flying fur and no nasty fights. Rosie and Hutch were like a couple of loons, theykept spooking each other and Hutch was doing enormous leaps over Vince! Vince was enjoying the freedom of the side ally and was doing binkys!

I'm planning to put them together again for a bit each day so they can all use the trixie run at the same time. The grand master plan is to get some of those runaround tunnels and link the hutches together and then link the trixie run to one of the hutches so they have three areas to live in and can choose which hutch to live in and choose when they want to go on the lawn. I hope it works out between them, I'd better start saving my pennies for the runaround tunnels!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

bonding my trio and pair - day 1 Empty Re: bonding my trio and pair - day 1

Post by LilyGrace Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Oooh wow sounds like a big task for you there! Good luck!! xxx
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:45 pm

[b]Hope it all goes well good look Smile Smile
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:08 am

Good luck! It seems positive so far, let us know of any developments!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Wow, thats an amazing plan! These buns really did strike lucky when they came to live with you.

I really hope this works out as it sounds so so wonderful.

Sounds like a little bit of time each day is the best way to go.

Good luck. Please keep us updated, im going to be glued to this story!!!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:37 pm

DAY 2

Well well well !! I put them all in the trixie run down the side ally this morning as the grass was a bit muddy and wet, all seemed well, Vince did a bit of chasing of Rosie and Hutch but his tail wasn't stuck up in the air so it doesn't look like aggressive chasing, more assertive chasing. Rosie and Hutch do not challenge Vince, they just run off and spook each other!
I was looking at the trixie run and thinking it looks a bit small for 5 buns to spend the day in, so I removed the trio's run and added it onto the trixie run and then added toys from both groups and some carpet peices too. It made a good run with the tunnels to dive into and litter tubs to jump over plus the 2 trixie houses to hide in and sit on!
The dynamics of the new group is very interesting, I always thought Hazel was top bun but she has shown no interest in Rosie and Hutch, just ignores them, Faline has sniffed them but didn't chase or anything. Rosie and Hutch are a bit skittish but take comfort in each other, and Vince seems to be top bun. Unless he is the under dog and it's his job to make sure no harm comes to his girls? He isn't threatened by Hutch being another buck in the group and he doesn't seem to view Rosie as mating material like he did Faline. Hazel gave him a few grunts when they first met and he respected her wishes and left her alone!

After watching them most of the day, I decided not to split them up tonight. I feel comfortable that they are not going to kill each other and as things seem to be going well I don't want to split them up. I just went out to check them and Hazel and Rosie were cuddles together, something I thought I would never see.

I'm going to upload a few pictures in a bit, so watch this space!

Oh just an interesting observation, but there is hardly any poo in the run. Are they holding their poo in and why? From experience I found that buns poo loads in a new environment as if to mark the territory, but I was suprised at how little there is. Odd.
When I was litter training Rosie and Hutch, I noticed that the more space they had the more poo they did.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:54 pm

A couple of photos

bonding my trio and pair - day 1 Bunnybonding012

bonding my trio and pair - day 1 Bunnybonding002

Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Last edited by Vince the bunny on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Love Awwhh that's so good it's going so well!!! Love the photos!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:17 am

OH wow the photos are amazing! There is something about seeing a bunch of rabbits all together that warms my heart.

It sounds really promising, especially the cuddles. How are they this morning? This is very exciting Very Happy
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:17 am

All seems well this morning, had a rubbish nights sleep for thinking about them! When I checked them late last night I saw Vince asking for nose licks from Hutch and he obliged briefly before running off!

It's lovely seeing them together NSD, you are right about a bunch of bunnies being together.

All I need to do now is configure both hutches and runs so they are joined and then link them using tunnels to the trixie run on the lawn, without taking up too much space on the patio and lawn so the kids can still play!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by DixieLuBun Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 pm

OMG I could only wish for this to happen with my lot. Well done you the photo of them all looks great. Very Happy
DixieLuBun
DixieLuBun
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:31 pm

DAY 3

Today has been ok, Vince is mostly chasing Hutch and fur pulling a bit. Hutch runs off. I am a little worried Hutch will become nervous of Vince which isn't very nice for him. Vince chases Rosie less, she seems to have fit in easier. Faline chased Rosie a little and so did Hazel, but I haven't seen them chasing Hutch.
I haven't seen any fighting, If I see that I will pull the plug on the idea of 5 of them being together. Not sure how long to leave the chasing for, 3 days is very early days, but Hutch's quality of life is important and I'd hate for him to be miserable. Rosie and Hutch seem to snuggle up together, and Vince and his girls snuggle up together.
I shall see what tomorrow brings bonding my trio and pair - day 1 913859
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:17 pm

DAY 4

bonding my trio and pair - day 1 423553 Rosie and Hutch are back in their own hutch.

I checked this morning and apart from Vince looking very peed off, all was well. I went back out to pick Hutch up and he does look a little depressed and I saw a huge bloody wound on his back. Vince must have attacked him whilst I nipped into the house to get some greens.
It's quite a large bite, and it's bleeding, so I removed both of them into their own hutch and I'm abandoning the bonding.
Hutch has an appointment at the vets this evening to check the wound as I don't want it to become infected.
Vince is still in a bad mood.
Sil, I'm sure he will cheer up when his runaround tunnel arrives tomorow so he can come and go into the trixie run as he pleases!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Sorry it didn't work out Sad. I expect in a large group like that it is harder for them all to establish a dominant one. Never mind, atleast they all have a friend with them one way or another and no1 has ended up on their own Smile
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm

That is a shame. Maybe you could try it again indoors and be around so you can be ready for when the novelty wears off for the buns and they start to think about who is in charge.

Poor Hutch. I hope his back is better soon. Naughty Vince.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 pm

I just brought Hutch back from the vets, vet said that technically Hutch requires stitches as the skin has lifted bonding my trio and pair - day 1 423553 But, he feels anethsitising (soz about spelling) him would cause undue stress so he has had a painkilling antibiotic injection and I have to give oral baytril for the next 6 days.

I think Vince was establishing himself as boss, he tolerated Rosie but not Hutch. Even when I gave them food, Vince would kind of block Hutch out and I often saw Hutch sat by himself looking a bit depressed.

Thing is, moments before Vince attacked him, Vince was washing Hutch's ears and I thought this was progess.

I don't know, these rabbits and their funny little bunny nature's. Rosie was licking Hutch when I last checked them, I've never seen her do that before. I think they are happier as a couple so I feels it's in their best interests to leave them that way Very Happy
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Oh im so sorry to hear this hun. Naughty Vince!

You must be really disappointed bless you.

At least Rosie and Hutch have each other.

Hope his wound heals up soon. Sending gentle cuddles and nose rubs for all.

Katie x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Ahhh, thanks Katie.

The kids said that Vince was naughty and I should get rid of him! Shocked NOOOOOOOO way!!! I love my little Vincey Babes even if he is a big bad bully boy! He's a gentleman to his two ladies.
Vince ain't goin' anywhere! bonding my trio and pair - day 1 317363
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Aw, so sorry it has'nt worked out as you had hoped. Naughty, naughty Vince. I hope Hutch's wound heals soon and that he gets over the trauma of the bite. Sending nosey rubs. x
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Thank you bonding my trio and pair - day 1 913859
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny