Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

diet ...

3 posters

Go down

diet ... Empty diet ...

Post by Amelia66 Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:45 pm

So i don't know if its what i'm doing but marsh's diet must not be quite right and i was wondering if anyone here could help. I was given food for him when i got him and he has been on this along with hay and that has been his diet. His poo was small and dark when i got him but is now larger and a light brown, packed with hay which i know is good yet still i'm seeing soft poos. Every morning i check him and feed him before i go to work and i keep seeing softies in there, so his food has been reduced right down and he is given fresh hay throughout the day always having a good supply. Hes only on what is a small pinch of food now and his hay, hes a big hay eater and i seem him eating it throughout the day, hes also active and seems ok in himself yet i don't know why hes still not eating all his Cecals. Any one have any ideas? or ways i can fix this?
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

diet ... Empty Re: diet ...

Post by Jay Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:53 pm

The poos sound good, the only thing I can think of is that they hay is Alphalpha, or has alphalpha in it - and are the pellets Burgess Excel, or is he on Museli mix?
If so, I'd change the hay to Timothy and/or meadow and the pellets to another brand, and/or get him off Museli mix. Let us know, sounds like you're doing everything right though.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:15 pm

they hay is the excel fresh forage barn dried grass, says its just grass no alphalpha. I will be getting some timothy hay for him as i know thats the best for rabbits. I'm unsure as to what the food he is on is, i know its not the excel pellets as it seems to be more of a pellet mix type food [it does smell nice tho, not that, that helps]. I will get him some new pellet food, is there any that you recommended?

Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Hiya,

The one a lot of people use is the Science selective pellets. Although Daisy wont eat them so he has Burgess Excel Pellets.

It could be the type of hay he is eating. Try him with the Timothy, or a nice meadow hay.

Remember though that any changes to his food should be a gradual change over about 10 days,

Sounds like you are doing everything right though. x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:58 pm

(Typed this at the same time as Katie!)

ok, it could be the grass, try swapping that first, perhaps get the Excel herbage, which is Timothy hay and dried dandelions & marigold ( clicky ), i'm not sure what you mean by pellet mix? Does it look a bit like museli or is each piece the same?

You need to get a 'complete' pellet that is high in fibre - 14% + (I think). Some buns are fussy as to which they will eat, so that has to be taken into consideration, and you must swap the food over gradually, over a couple of weeks, not just go from one to the other. Start by adding in a teaspoon, and gradually increase the pellets and decrease the other.

Most commonly used (on here) are ' supreme science selective' 'Oxbow bunny basics' (these are particularly good because of their shape) and a lot of people use Burgess excel pellets, but some find they cause soft poos - hence the question earlier.

Hope that helps Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:05 pm

well its a mix, doesn't look like muesli [there are no bright colored bits in it] its kind of has pellets and then other things mixed in with it. I guess this still counts as a muesli as it isn't just pellets.

I will start by changing the hay and then if it keeps happening i will look into changing his pellets. Thank you both!
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down