Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this all good signs?!

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is this all good signs?! Empty Is this all good signs?!

Post by Tammybunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:36 am

Hi all Smile

I picked up my new bun last night for my lone guy Alfie.

Alfie was neutered back in November, and is now about 8 months old. I adopted him a little lady friend who we have called Floss, she is about 3 months old. So last night they met very briefly, there was no fur pulling, no grunting, no biting, just lots of spinning next to each other in a circle and LOTS of Alfie humping poor Floss. I mean he just went nuts! Now from my ratties i know this is a dominance thing, so should i just leave them to it...?

So after 1 minute of humping Alfie "de-mounted" Floss and my boyfriend picked him up and popped him back in his cage. This morning we came downstairs and let Alfie out as normal and he was hopping ruond Floss' cage sniffing her through the bars and mkaing a fuss about her. Floss does not seem interested in the slightest, i mean she just hops off from where ever he is. It must be frustrating for him really lol! After about 10 minutes of this happening Floss thought she would see what he was making the fuss about, went up to him, dug at the bars a bit....the sniffed each other......it was very sweet.....

So are these good signs?!

Also a quick question, how long should i and can i leave it to get Floss vaccinated? Alfie has a booster on Friday evening but they are fully booked then so i cant take Floss with me. Should i leave it until next week or call and see if they can fit her in sooner?

Thank you Very Happy xx
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Is this all good signs?! Empty Re: Is this all good signs?!

Post by Jay Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:45 am

Congtualtions Very Happy It sounds perfectly normal to me, Alfie is assering his dominance as you say, and if she doesn't seem bothered by it, then that's a relief, as she seems happy to be dominated!

Is Alfie neutered? It would be best for long term bonding success to keep them apart until both have been done. You'll be able to have Floss speyed from 6 months, and Alfie can be done asap if he isn't already.

Even if he is, the still produce a small amount of testosterone in their adrenal glands, and this will affect his reaction to her, as he is responding to her hormones.

Floss can be vaccinated now Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:06 am

Floss can be vaccinated whenever the vets can fit her in. Be sure that they only do one vaccine at a time with at least a 2 week gap between the two (Myxi & VHD).

The behaviour you are describing is perfectly normal for two rabbits meeting for the first time. Alfie will no longer be fertile, having been neutered 4 months ago, though he will be able to tell that your new girl is not yet spayed. Do expect that he may mount her as this is as much a display of dominance as a mating ritual......she may even mount him!
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 am

Alfie has been neutered yes, because he is a house bun and didnt want him spraying everywhere, so instead he chins everything lol! you said they still produce a little testosterone...really silly question, she cant get preggers can she?! Shocked

We willg et her spayed as soon as she is able to. Im thinking they can meet each other just not live together until she has been spayed because she will need to be kept away from him after that. They are living next to each other atm.
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:12 am

Sooz wrote:Floss can be vaccinated whenever the vets can fit her in. Be sure that they only do one vaccine at a time with at least a 2 week gap between the two (Myxi & VHD).

The behaviour you are describing is perfectly normal for two rabbits meeting for the first time. Alfie will no longer be fertile, having been neutered 4 months ago, though he will be able to tell that your new girl is not yet spayed. Do expect that he may mount her as this is as much a display of dominance as a mating ritual......she may even mount him!

PHEW! I was worried by the other post he was still fertile, i nearly had a heart attack!

FLoss is super chilled out, just sits there in her cage and falls asleep bless her, its all she wants to do lol! She came out for an explore last night in the hall way and she crept around, hopped for a minute and then cuddled up and went to sleep hehe
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 am

Tammybunny wrote:
Sooz wrote:Floss can be vaccinated whenever the vets can fit her in. Be sure that they only do one vaccine at a time with at least a 2 week gap between the two (Myxi & VHD).

PHEW! I was worried by the other post he was still fertile, i nearly had a heart attack!

FLoss is super chilled out, just sits there in her cage and falls asleep bless her, its all she wants to do lol! She came out for an explore last night in the hall way and she crept around, hopped for a minute and then cuddled up and went to sleep hehe

Sorry, I didn't explain that properly Embarassed They still produce it, but it doesn't make them fertile, but as Sooz said, he'll still know that Floss is entire. Hormones tend to get in the way of bonding. Floss sounds adorable - any pics? Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Would love to see some pics of floss...... I bet she is just lovely x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:25 pm

I will get smoe pics and put them up as soon as i can.

She has a really upset tummy. She is eating a driknking, and i have taken away her nuggets. My partner gave her some brocoli last night Mad which i thinhk might have done it as she was fine before that. Should i keep an eye on it?! I also thought it might be the stress of a new home, so might it be worth moving her into our bedroom so she has a quieter enviroment?
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Broccolli is notorious for causing tummy upsets. I would put her on a bland diet, lots of hay & water, and probiotic if you have/can get some.

What do the stools look like?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:04 pm

They are just runny, light brown, not water just not solid. Keep sticking to her bottom Sad So im cleaning her up every so often. What probiotic would you reccommend?
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Ive just given her lots of hay so its ok she is drinking a little as well.
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:28 pm

So a quick update for everyone!

Alfie and Floss met in the bathtub tonight and there was lots and lots and lots of humping. Alfie would just not leave her alone, i put this down to the fact she isnt spayed but she was excellent and didnt fight back. They cuddled for a little bit but he soon lost patience and continued with the humping. A few bits of furr was pulled out but no blood. Alfie did dig at her though when he wasnt able to hump her, then when she ran off he followed her and began to hump her once more. He seemed to get a bit down hearted and flopped out a few times, so i nudged her close to him and they snuggled up.

So i think its going ok.....
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:44 pm

Broccolli made my boys tummy poorly too, so he doesnt have it any more.

Plenty of hay is the way to go. Bless her. Is she okay in herself. Is she eating and drinking okay.

Glad the bonding seems to be going well? I hope alfie calms down soon bless him?

Its certainly good that they snuggled up. Its worth scattering some food around so that they eat together too.

Keep us updated.

Cuddles to both x x

Daisy has a pro-biotic called pro-c I think we got it from pets at home.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Awesome thanks for the advice Smile

I hope Alfie calms down soon too. I wasnt impressed with him scratching at her and nor was she! She is so little compared to him bless her!

The runny poo has settled now. She has had lots of hay and drinkgin plenty. I dont know if her water bottle is playing silly things as i put a ceramic bowl in with her and she downed it and she perked up loads. She is fine in herself, well as well as i know her. I only got her yesturday! She is quiet compared to Alfie,.She is eating like a champ and drinking too. Shes doing so well. She isnt so confident, very wary bless her, and she crawls everywhere until she knows she is ok then she hops about! ill get pictures up as soon as i can.
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:04 pm

I think its normal for her to be wary - she's changed home and also been introduced to a new bun, she'll get there. Just needs time to settle. Sounds like she is doing brilliantly so far.

Glad her tum has settled.

Quite a lot of buns dont like water bottles. Daisy wont drink out of one at all.

I will post you a link to a thread about it, which might help.

Cant wait to see pics of them.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:06 pm

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:53 pm

Thank you so much Very Happy

I was really wary about this forum, i always am joining somewhere new. I have rats as well and im all safe and secure on that forum, but its not rabbit specific its ratty specific, and i have to say this forum is wonderful Very Happy xx
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Tammybunny wrote:Thank you so much Very Happy

I was really wary about this forum, i always am joining somewhere new. I have rats as well and im all safe and secure on that forum, but its not rabbit specific its ratty specific, and i have to say this forum is wonderful Very Happy xx

We are really proud that this is a friendly place to be, and we are lucky to have so many lovely members who respect each other and each others opinions. Its really lovely that you are enjoying being here - its what we all about.

Kx x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:54 pm

So here as promised are pictures!

So the ones of Alfie and Floss cuddled up are cute...Alfie kept flopping out in the bath when he got frustrated and he just lay there so i moved Floss next to him and the snuggled up Smile

This is Alfie Smile
Is this all good signs?! IMG_2419

This is Floss Smile
Is this all good signs?! IMG_2425

The two lovies Smile
Is this all good signs?! IMG_2432

Alfie "Shes mine now"!!
Is this all good signs?! IMG_2435
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Tammybunny wrote:I was really wary about this forum, i always am joining somewhere new. I have rats as well and im all safe and secure on that forum, but its not rabbit specific its ratty specific, and i have to say this forum is wonderful Very Happy xx
Lovely thing to say thank-you, we all work hard top keep it the way it is, I'm glad you feel that Very Happy

ETA, GORGEOUS pics Love
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:24 pm

Ok so an update for you all Smile

We were back to the bath tub tonight after spending the evening with both cages open in the kitchen. In the kitchen both buns hopped in and out of each others cages, which Floss was fine with but when she went in Alfies cage he wasnt happy, but humped her and was ok but grumpy.

So we took them to the bath tub and they kinda ignoredd each other. Then Alfie started digging at her again! And she was awesome, didnt fight back just hopped away and then he humped her again - I mean how long does this humping thing go on for haha!!! So i got in the bath with them and they cuddled up together. There wasnt any grooming but there were cuddles and snuggles!

So we moved them onto the landing and Alfie humped away again and Floss hopped away again and came to me for refuge Smile

So how long does the humping go on for when she isnt fighting back!? She isnt spayed and she still needs to go to the vets for a check up and vaccinations (2 weeks apart), but the vets are fully booked. Shall i keep going to the bath tub and doing what im doing?!

Floss is still getting used to my slippy floors, its funny to watch her really. ALfie too to the like a duck to water but Floss is taking a little more time!

Very Happy
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:46 am

Hiya hun,

Im afraid im not very experienced with the bonding but it does sound like its going okay. Hopefully someone will be along soon who can help. Its brilliant that there is no fighting, floss sounds like a very chilled out girlie.

Its a really good idea to get some rugs down on the wooden floors. Buns are at risk arthritis from the sliding and also can get pretty horrid spinal damage if they slip in a strange position. Its hard for them to express their natural behaviour (like binkying) too on the wooden flooing. We have it through out house which is why there are big rugs in daisy's area and the living room.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:00 am

We are in the process of getting a rug for the living room - and hopefull the kitchen! Buns have run of the house - except the bedrooms and bathroom, and the stairs and landing are all carpeted! What on earth is binkying?!

Alfie took to the wooden floors really well, but he settled in really quickly. Floss is taking a little longer and likes the safety of her cage Smile I have some small mats, but they dont stick so i could put those down but i dont think they would make much of a difference :S

From all the research and reading i did, it sounds like the bonding is going ok considering Floss hasnt been spayed yet. She still needs to learn not to wee outside her cage but considering she has been here 3 days and only wee'd outside it once i think its going well.

Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:13 am

Binkying is when buns run around in an excited way and then jump in the air usually twisting around as they do it. You'll know it when you see it. Laughing

It is a sign they are happy and feeling good about life.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:31 am

Ohhh i wondered what that was lol!!! Alfie does it all the time bless him Very Happy

Well at least i know its a happy sign hehe!
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next