Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hii From Shanghaii(:

+9
Dotdot
KatieB
Snowy
Catsknickers
Jay
Velvet.Tears
NickieM
Kirsty&Lola
Duncan13
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hii From Shanghaii(: Empty Hii From Shanghaii(:

Post by Duncan13 Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Hey, my name is Duncan and I'm really glad I could join this forum. I am from Toronto Canada, and I am 12 years old. Currently, because of my dad's job, we live in Shanghai, a big city in China. I really enjoy living here, with new people, culture and experiences.
A week ago, I adopted two rabbits. (unknown type:P) They are currently unnamed (can't find a good name for em) but I am planning to name them very soon. I'm looking forward to meeting some nice forum members(:

~Duncan O.O
Duncan13
Duncan13
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-04-15

Back to top Go down

Hii From Shanghaii(: Empty Re: Hii From Shanghaii(:

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Welcome to the forum Wave
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi Duncan, welcome to HH. What an exciting place to live. It must be so different from Canada. A marvellous experience.

Maybe because you are living in China, you could choose names that are Chinese. Remember you can post photos of your buns as we love looking at other people's bunnies.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi welcome to HH Wave
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi Duncan and welcome to Happy Hoppers Wave
Congrats on your new arrivals albino Looking forward to hearing more about them. China must be so exciting !
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Welcome aboard Duncan, can't wait to find out what you call your buns!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi and welcome Wave
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:15 am

Hi Duncan

Welcome to HH.

cant wait to hear more about your bunnies and life in China.

Katie x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Hiya! Welcome to HH. Cannot wait to see pics of your buns and to hear their names.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan13 Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, today, one of my rabbits started convulsing. When I rushed both of them to the vet, it was two late. My (unnamed) white rabbit passed away at the vet today. Sad Since I bought the rabbits from a local pet market, the vets said that the primary reason he died was cause of the poor care they received in the market. (Most pet markets in China are cramped and dirty) The one that survived is in intensive care right now, and will stay at the vets for the next 3-4 days. Apparently, I was lied to at the pet market, the vendor said that the pair was 5 months old and that they were "Rabbits Imported from Holland!!" -.-'' Well I found out that the one that survived was a lionhead, and the one that died was a common chinese rabbit, (you can buy a common rabbit for only 20RMB- $3) while the ones I paid for were 300RMB- about $40. So basically they ripped me off. And it also turns out that the rabbits I bought were 2 months old, not five months! Right now, im just praying that my other rabbit can survive the ordeal and get healthier. Any tips would be appreciated, and sorry for the long post!
Duncan13
Duncan13
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear about your bun, I'm certain they were incredibly happy even though they were only with you for a short time. You gave them a better life than they would have had at that market.

Hows the bun in intensive care?
You could always post in the infirmary thread for advice on how to help little one make it through, say what you are feeding them at the moment etc and we can try our best to help Smile
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:09 pm

I am so sorry about your buns Duncan but I want to welcome you to the forum.

That is one reason I could never visit those countries, the animal treatment is despicable and unforgiveable and I would end up killing people.
Do any of the Chinese poeple love animals?

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi Wave

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Hello Duncan and welcome to Happy Hoppers. I am sorry to hear of the sad loss of your little one. I hope the other bunny survives his ordeal.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi Duncan.

Has the vet said what the problem is with the second bun?

What food has he been eating? Is he drinking?

Please let us know what the symptoms are as there are people here who might be able to give you some advice.

In the mean time I am sending lots of get well vibes for your baby. x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Duncan

How is he? When friends' bunnies get poorly, we all worry for them. More healing vibes on their way.

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan13 Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:43 am

Thank you all soo much(:

jolovesbunnies: There are a lot of people in China that have incredible love for animals. Last week, there was a big truck of dogs being shipped to the countryside to be slaughtered for meat. (They were actually legal and had permits and everything!) A huge group of animal activists and pet stores gathered in an attempt to stop the truck. In the end, they pooled over 10000RMB and bought the truck of dogs. So in a country of cruel and heartless people, there are still many that will risk their lives to save the poor animals.

Kate: When I left for school the other day, I had assumed that nothing was wrong. The only thing that was kinda weird was that both were sitting in the litterbox, in stead of romping around like usual. I didn't think that anything was wrong, so I left for school. When I got home, my mom told me that the white bunny was dying. It was lying at the bottom of the cage with its head tilted at a 90 degree angle. It was still breathing, and it would start kicking violently every once in a while. It was so sad watching it in pain like that Sad. I took both rabbits to the vet. The vet said that the rabbits were very young and had sensitive systems. If I had known that the rabbits were two months instead of 5 months, I would have done many things different. The vet said that the second one was dehydrated and weak. They didn't tell me exactly what was wrong, but they inserted this liquid thing through a syringe into its ear, through a vein, and after awhile, it started perking up a bit. They also put a warm pack of liquid next to it to warm it up abit. The vet said that he needs to stay there for up to four days, and they'll feed it the medication it needs everyday (I don't know what type) and food & hay. He also mentioned that if he was doing okay, then there was no more need for any more of the syringe stuff he put in the bunny earlier. I called today, and the vet said that he was doing well, and he didn't have to insert the syringe stuff again. Although he did say that there was no guarantee that the bunny would survive. Things are looking okay for him and I really hope he lives! I have one question, how hard is it REALLY to care for a two month old rabbit? Any special needs? Thanks guys! -Duncan (:

Duncan13
Duncan13
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Duncan, you sound a great person.

Thank you for answering me about the cruelty that goes on in Shanghaii and I am so relieved to know that there are people there who do care. I just cannot understand people who can watch animals suffer or be in discomfort and not care. It also upsets me that it seems to be worse in certain countries as if the majority of them have no heart.

I am so glad to hear your bunny is better, it is awful when they are ill because sometimes they just give up, Please keep us posted and loving and healing vibes are on their way.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan13 Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Thankyouu too(: I think that the main reason why people in Shanghai care more now, is that the economy is getting better, and people are getting richer and have more time on their hands, so people have the time for pets and anti-animal cruelty support. China IS a big country with a large population of people that eat dogs, cats, rabbits, and anything you can think of. Its mainly the way people were raised, many were never taught to "save the environment!" "recycle!" "love the animals that God created!" So naturally, they majority of the people don't care as much about animal welfare. I still laugh to myself when a full grown man thats about 40 runs away screaming when he sees my (not so big) dog. Whenever I walk my dog, I have to face many many people that are just "horrified" and "disgusted" by seeing such a creature. Some people have dogs, but most of them just have those toy poodle dogs that are like 2 pounds. They give them little shoes and skirts and stuff, which honestly, I don't really like. They're cute at first, but eventually, you get sick of seeing poodles dressed in party costumes everywhere. I mean, that's not what dogs were meant for. They're not toys. But overall, many of the people here are nice and respect things that others do. - Duncan(: (again sorry for the long obnoxious post Razz)
Duncan13
Duncan13
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:31 pm

I appreciate the time you have taken to reply Duncan and for explaining things to me. It is just that I spend a lot of my time worrying about animals all over the world who I cannot help.

I am glad it is getting better for animals and people too come to that but why are they horrified about you doggie. I had to chuckle about the man running away screaming - are they afraid of rabies?

I don't like doggies dressed up either and it is becoming popular here too and in the USA.

Hope bunny is well, please give him a kiss from me.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan13 Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 am

I think the main reason for that is the way people were raised, they were taught to be fearful of dogs from early on. Most people think that they're crazy and will bite or something. My bunny is doing great and I'm looking forward to bringing him home in a few days(:
Duncan13
Duncan13
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 am

Aww that's so lovely to hear Duncan! What a little trooper.
I had 2, 2 month old buns, sadly one didn't make it but Tigger is now 6 months old and cheeky as ever!
All I can suggest is to give unlimited good quality hay, offer water in a bottle and a bowl so bunny can choose where he wants to drink from, and make sure to make no sudden changes in their diet.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan13 Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks for the help Dotot!(: Tigger seems to have grown into quite a cute bunny now! Unfortunately, I am leaving for vacation for a week, but my dad and housekeeper will still be there looking after my bunny. For hay I have Alfalfa King brand and for pellets I have Vitacraft. Not sure if those are good quality brands or not. I'll tell my housekeeper to feed him once a day on pellets, and give him hay twice a day to make sure he has an unlimited amount. The weather in Shanghai is around 18-20 degrees Celsius these days, so I'm not really concerned about overheating.
Duncan13
Duncan13
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Duncan,

I am so glad he is going better.

DotDots advice is good. Lots and lots of hay and some pellets too. Also make sure the bun has lots and lots of fresh watter. Some buns wont drink out of a bottle so a bowl of water is good to have too.

I hope that he is okay. Please give him a cuddle from me when he comes home.

Katie x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan13 Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:12 pm

I used to have a glass water bottle, but my rabbits bit off the thing attaching it to the cage and it fell and shattered :/. So right now, I only have a bowl for water. I'll make sure to have an extra large bowl for when I'm gone so he'll have lots of water. I'll make sure to give him a hug "from Katie" when he comes bak tomorow(:
Duncan13
Duncan13
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next