Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Few Things That Have Helped My Poorly Buns

Go down

A Few Things That Have Helped My Poorly Buns Empty A Few Things That Have Helped My Poorly Buns

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Here are a few less common treatments for a variety of illnesses that appear to have helped some of my poorly Buns.

Please ALWAYS consult your Vet before starting your Rabbit on any treatments. The following is just a record of additional treatments that might help alongside the usual antibiotic/ pain relief/ gut motility medications that a Vet may prescribe.

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infections/Snuffles
Ask your Vet about applying TIACIL directly into the nostrils of your Snuffle Bun.
Tiacil is a prescription only eye drop which contains an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory.
Just recently I have found that it appears to be useful to administer the Tiacil into the nostrils and then nebulise the Bun ( just sterile saline in the nebuliser) for about 5 minutes, longer if Bun will tolerate it.

Benadryl Syrup is an antihistamine used for children. It can be useful for Buns as it soothes inflamed nasal membranes
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/benadryl.html

Benadryl is available ‘over the counter’ from Pharmacies

Nebulising your Rabbit with a disinfectant called F10
http://www.f10biocare.co.uk/

Obviously your Vet would need access to a nebuliser. This procedure was recommended by one of the Vets during a lecture at last years RWA Conference.

For Enteritis (Diarrhoea)
GI upsets can be very serious for a Bun, especially a baby. Quite often the bacteria that cause life-threatening enteritis are CLOSTRIDIUM. The bacteria may proliferate as a result of weaning. Other risk factors are Buns on antibiotic therapy.
A medication which can help prevent the bacteria adhering to the gut wall is QUESTRAN (Cholestyramine) It works by binding up the enterotoxins before they get the chance to adhere to the gut wall.
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Questran is a prescription only medication. It is used for some humans with high cholesterol.

Rabbits are very prone to gastric ulceration as a result of a period of anorexia or if on a longterm non-steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam. An anti GI ulcer medication (Ranitidine AKA Zantac or Cimetidine AKA Tagamet) is very helpful as part of the standard treatment protocol for anyBun who is not eating for any reason or is in GI stasis. It is also a good idea to give an anti GI ulcer med to anyBun on Metacam on a longterm basis.

For Sore Hocks
Once sore hocks occur it can be very difficult to resolve the problem.
A cream that I have found to be very useful for my Buns is FLAMAZINE.
This is a prescription only preparation. In humans it is used in the treatment of burns

There are a few other things to add but thought I'd get this much posted up for now

Smile

This Document is Copyright © Jane O'Callaghan and Suzanne Rolland, HappyHoppers Forums Uk . July 2008.UK. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Back to top Go down