Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recent stasis probs - share tips

+2
Lottie
Jay
6 posters

Go down

Recent stasis probs - share tips Empty Recent stasis probs - share tips

Post by Jay Wed May 18, 2011 10:00 am

I always forget that at this time of year there are always stasis like probs in buns, and we seem to have had a lot this year, poss. down to the weather being weird and causing mass moulting quicker than normal. Rabbits grooming themselves and each other are likely to ingest a lot more fur than normal, and this can lead to blockages or disruptions in the GI tract. Thought we could share some tips...

Groom more frequently - long haired buns every day, short haired buns every other day, if nec.

Increase fibre and cut back on veges/pellets during this time. More hay, and to make it more interesting for your buns, add in grasses - if you live near fields or the sea, there are loads of wild grasses that buns can eat - the long grasses are out at the mo, which are good as they are in long strands, and they like the ones with the furry bits on top! If your bun isn't used to grass, introduce it slowly. You can use grass from the garden provided it is hand picked, not mown. You can also add in leaves.
The mainstay of a rabbit’s diet should be large unlimited amounts of fresh hay (preferable Timothy or Meadow Hay) with ad lib clean water available. Large amounts of grass, if available, provide good balanced nutrients for your rabbit.
Source RWAF

Increase natural leaves like Plantains, dandelions, blackberry & raspberry leaves and stalks (they spikes won't harm them) willow twigs etc.

Put Fresh pineapple juice in their water or give a fresh pineapple chunk with meals - this contains Bromelain, a digestive enzyme that breaks up the mucous which causes the fur to clog up inside the bun. If your bun won't have fresh pineapple, you can buy sugar free Bromelain tablets from the health shop, give one a day 100 mg

If your bun is not into hay and grass, make sure your pellets are above 16% fibre - preferably 19% - if not, consider changing to a brand that is, but do this slowly over 2 weeks. Burgess, Science selective, A&P and Oxbow are all high in fibre.

If your bun east museli mix, consider changing to pellets above.

Make sure your bun is moving and exercising - give treat balls, hide food, spread meals over a large area, encourage them to periscope for their pellets/veg by holing it above their heads etc.

Please feel free to add.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Recent stasis probs - share tips Empty Re: Recent stasis probs - share tips

Post by Lottie Wed May 18, 2011 10:48 am

Those tips are great Jay!
All I did for now was groom often (Kenzo everyday, Chewy every 3 days) and give pineapple juice.
I do have a question regarding the pineapple juice though, I only give it every 2 weeks or so, I'm not sure if that's enough?

I'm defo gonna cut down the veggies a bit.
Since it's so hot here already I made the mistake to actually give him more than usual.
I can't really cut down on the pellets though, he already eats so little.
Lucky me, Chewy is a huge hay lover and I'm gonna get him some leaves too.
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizz Wed May 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for the great tips Jay! I've never heard of giving rabbits pineapple before. I didn't know that ingesting fur could give then stasis either. I've learnt so much in the last week of reading this forum! cheers
Just one question, somehow I've always known not to give them mown grass - but why is this? [I use a pair of hand 'sheep' shears to cut it in bunches.]

Fizz
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed May 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Fizz,

they cant have mown grass because it will have picked up all kinds of nasties going through the mower and also it starts to break down quite quickly after it has been cut and left so it should be cut freshly for them.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed May 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Great tips Jay!

I would only add that if your bun looks like they are going into stasis, getting food in them as soon as is a must.

Always have a couple of packs of critical care and some syringes in just in case.

I would always give a little luke warm water with a syringe too as this helps prevent dehydration.

After syringing get them moving about, this helps get the belly moving.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Wed May 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Massaging their tummy if they seem to be going into the first stages of it, this REALLY helped Luna the other day when she seemed so uncomfortable. Also if they aren't drinking a lot, I put water on some fresh veg/grass to get a bit of fluid into them.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed May 18, 2011 11:16 pm

I would add that knowing the size of your bun's poo is good because then if it gets smaller - as it does during stasis - you know instantly if something is wrong.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down