Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Litter Training

5 posters

Go down

Litter Training Empty Litter Training

Post by Fizz Sat May 21, 2011 11:52 am

We've had Daisy over a week now and she is a lovely bun, except she pees everywhere! When we first got her she used her litter tray for the first couple of days without any problems. Then we had a couple of puddles on the floor which I cleaned up without making a fuss, but now she hardly uses her tray at all and when I come down in the morning there are puddles all over the floor! No
She has been going out in the run on the grass all day when the weather has been good and I don't put her litter tray out with her - should I?
I can't remember how we trained Rosie but she is very good and rarely wees outside her tray when she's in her hutch. Rufus never got it at all, although he did have two favourite wee corners.
I would appreciate any help with this.
Also, do bonded pairs use the same litter tray or is this another territorial area so they each have their own (I often wondered if that was why Rufus never used Rosie's tray)?

Fizz
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-05-11

Back to top Go down

Litter Training Empty Re: Litter Training

Post by KatieB Sat May 21, 2011 11:58 am

Hiya,

I would put the tray out as well, to minimise confusion.
From her point of veiw she has one place where she has to wee anywhere and another place where she is meant to use a tray. When my bun is playing in the garden - he comes in to use his tray as its important to him- so I would deffo put it wherever she is.

What are you using in her tray?

What about poo's are they all over the place too?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat May 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Yeah I would put the tray outside too. My pairs use the same tray quite happily.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizz Sat May 21, 2011 3:04 pm

I use a mixture of compressed wood pellet cat litter with some loose woodshavings. I went to poundland today and bought a bigger 'cat' litter tray as I thought maybe the corner bunny one weve been using was a bit small but it has no lowered side so I suppose she might tip it up. I have emptied the corner tray (which contained a few poos and a small damp spot) into it to give her the idea that that is what it is for. I will go and put it out in the run, if she tips it it will only make a mess on the lawn. Thumbs Up

- Yes we do get a carpet of binkies too but they are moderately less annoying as they sweep up easily.

Fizz
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizz Sat May 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Have I got the wrong meaning for 'binkys'? I thought it meant poos but now I'm not so sure?? Embarassed

Reading some info on the 'For the Love of Parseley' website I think at least some of her wees may be territory marking. She seems to do most of them just inside the kitchen doors (there are 3 doors to our kitchen).

She has used the new tray, the first thing she did was a little territorial pee! But she is still going elsewhere as well. I was glad to find that she hopped in and out without any trouble.

Fizz
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun May 22, 2011 1:12 am

Yes put her litter tray out with her when she goes in her run she may well think well I can wee all over the grass so I must be able to wee all over
the floor as well.

How many litter trays have you in Daisy's room? if you have one try putting another litter tray down for her. Also do you put any hay in your litter trays as bunnies love to nibble hay when they are using them.
We put newspaper in ours (apart from the corner ones) then wood based pellets or megazorb and top with hay and they sit for ages nibbling hay and when they jump out there is a neat pile of poop's Smile

A Binky is when a rabbit does a playful jump into the air, a sign that they are very happy Very Happy

I

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by wizbit Sun May 22, 2011 9:28 am

In my own experience, the key to litter training is not to give too much freedom too quickly. I usually confine the bun/buns to a cage with a litter tray for about a week (letting them out when I am around to keep an eye on them!) and when they are out, regularly putting them back into the litter tray. This has worked for me. Also, is she spayed, because if not she is less likely to use a litter tray well.

wizbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2011-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizz Sun May 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote: A Binky is when a rabbit does a playful jump into the air, a sign that they are very happy Very Happy

I
I did get the wrong end of the stick! I thought 'Binky free' meant no more s***! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Fizz
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Try popping some hay on top of the litter hun. They like a good munch while they go about their er ...business.

When you see them poo, pick it up, and put bun and poo into the tray. They will hopefully get the idea.

I didnt know what a binky was at first either! hee hee.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down