Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need help with litter training...please!!!

+5
lizzi_b
NickieM
KatieB
fall3n-ang3l
emma.b_90
9 posters

Go down

need help with litter training...please!!! Empty need help with litter training...please!!!

Post by emma.b_90 Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm

hey i was just wondering if any1 could give me any ideas on how to start my litter training. ive bought a corner litter tray and put some straw and some of his wee covered sawdust in it as well as poop. so far he's sniffed it and pooped in the other corner Laughing

any tips would be much appreciated x x
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

need help with litter training...please!!! Empty Re: need help with litter training...please!!!

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:46 pm

To start with put it where Magnum want to pee. Don't worry too much about the poo to start with. Just keep scooping up the poo and putting it in the tray. Make sure the litter tray is big enough. He may well want to move around or even lie down in it I use a large deep cat tray but washing up bowls with the front cut out work well also. People have lots of different types of litter in the tray, this is very much about finding out what Magnum prefers. My pair just have newpaper and hay. Others use megazorb, wood or recycled paper cat litter, carefresh etc. Whatever you use either top it with hay or hang the hay above it - buns like to chomp on hay and poo at the same time. He will very quickly get the idea.

Back to top Go down

need help with litter training...please!!! Empty Re: need help with litter training...please!!!

Post by fall3n-ang3l Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:58 pm

if he pee's and poo's in the same spot,place the litter tray there,thats what i did
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:52 pm

The first thing to do is to swap the straw for hay. Straw has no nutritional value and buns like to eat while they do their business. (nice eh)

Put the tray in the corner where he likes to do his business first of all.

each time he does a poo outside of the tray, put the poo into the tray and if you see him do it, pop him gently in the tray too.
He will soon get the idea.

Its a good idea also to do away with the sawdust/wood shavings too. They can cause eye and respatory problems in buns and is not very good for them at all. I would replace it with newspaper and in the litter tray some litter (megazorb or similar) topped with hay on the top. you could always pop a little blanket into his cage for him to snuggle on.

katie
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Be led by Magnum where he wants his toilet to be.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 pm

^ All what i was going to say!! just remember to be patient!! some buns grasp litter training within a week and others, like my buttons, take 3months!! Laughing
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:35 am

And don't feel bad if the bunny doesn't get it straight away. I've actually given up with mine until she gets spayed. She never goes to the toilet outside of her house, which is fantastic, but as soon as I put the litter tray in the oorner she uses all of the time, she uses a different one HBWS Then she moves the litter tray into the middle of her house in protest.

I'm not going to give up on it, purely delaying it!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen1980 Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:02 am

lizzi_blackwell3 wrote:^ All what i was going to say!! just remember to be patient!! some buns grasp litter training within a week and others, like my buttons, take 3months!! Laughing

We've had Milo since 16th July and this weekend was the first weekend I didnt clean up wee or poops!

Happy Dance
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 551
Registration date : 2008-08-07

http://www.myspace.com/newzealandbunnylover

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Katieb wrote:The first thing to do is to swap the straw for hay. Straw has no nutritional value and buns like to eat while they do their business. (nice eh)

Put the tray in the corner where he likes to do his business first of all.

each time he does a poo outside of the tray, put the poo into the tray and if you see him do it, pop him gently in the tray too.
He will soon get the idea.

Its a good idea also to do away with the sawdust/wood shavings too. They can cause eye and respatory problems in buns and is not very good for them at all. I would replace it with newspaper and in the litter tray some litter (megazorb or similar) topped with hay on the top. you could always pop a little blanket into his cage for him to snuggle on.

katie

hi sorry i didnt mean straw, i ment hay. magnum doesnt have straw so dont know what i was thinking! scratch
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:28 pm

well magnum is going to be a devil to train i think....for ages he's been pooping in the bottom right corner so i put his tray there with his hay hanging over the tray so he can eat too. but now he has decided to poop up near his house and is eating the hay from there instead! Laughing
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:52 pm

I don't know why bit some buns are just much more difficult than others! My two girls were 98% litter trained at about 6 weeks! Rory however... About a mnth after his neuter I would say he is 60% - he is getting better, every time he pee's on the carpet I soak it up with kitchen roll and pop it in his litter tray. He doesn't wee or poop where he eats so over hanging hay deters him from weeing there - the complete opposite to the girls! I'm actually considering having laminate in the lounge and ripping up the carpet.
Is your little man neutered yet?
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by emma.b_90 Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm

no he's not neutered yet, was told they can only be done at around 6months and he's only 2/half

i cleaned his cage this morning and put his wee and poo in his litter tray...so far there's only been a few poops outside of the tray and not a pee insight that i can see.....not holding my breath but im hoping his clicked on Laughing
emma.b_90
emma.b_90
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Charlie seems to be taking the micky out us, we put his trays where he pees, so he moves to where the tray used to be, so follow him and he goes back to old spot. Cheeky boy.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down