Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Views sought on plastic/vinyl garden sheds for bunnies

5 posters

Go down

Views sought on plastic/vinyl garden sheds for bunnies Empty Views sought on plastic/vinyl garden sheds for bunnies

Post by RWAF Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 am

Views sought on plastic/vinyl garden sheds for bunnies

We have had a query from a member regarding sheds made from synthetic materials rather than wood.

Points made are as follows

Pro

Less temptation to chew
Easy to clean (especially floor)
Won’t rot, so less maintenance

Con

Ventilation may be less..windows tend to be smaller
Worries about cutting a hatch into the wall so as to attach to a run..will that weaken the structure?
Insulation in both heat and cold – is plastic/vinyl any better or worse than wood in this regard?
Stability in high winds – is it any more or less likely to be blown away if there is an exceptionally strong wind and is pegging-down easy?

Several possible models are available and our member is keen to know of anybody’s experiences with synthetic sheds or any helful observations that could be made. Since RWAF committee only has experience of them for hens (great for denying a home to red mite!), we wanted to ask a wider rabbit owning public for any information.
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Views sought on plastic/vinyl garden sheds for bunnies Empty Re: Views sought on plastic/vinyl garden sheds for bunnies

Post by KatieB Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Ive not come accross this before but hopefully someone will be along soon who has.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Views sought on plastic/vinyl garden sheds for bunnies Empty Re: Views sought on plastic/vinyl garden sheds for bunnies

Post by NSD Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:03 am

I haven't used them, but seriously considered buying one for my two. My main concern, and the reason why I didn't get one, is because I thought the plastic/vinyl options would over-heat in the summer to the point where they would be saunas and potentially kill the bunnies.

But I have no experience with them. Looking forward to hearing stories
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by RWAF Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:06 pm

I posted in several places asking opinions. One concern raised was the problems if a bun did gnaw the plastic, and also as you say the insulation properties. One person has one as a garden shed and says it's as hot in summer and as cold in winter as a wooden shed.

For all sheds, shrubs nearby to provide shade/shelter and possibly a (preferably non toxic) creeper climbing over the walls and roof may help with insulation from heat and cold. It would I think be less of a damage problem with a synthetic shed.
RWAF
RWAF
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-02-07

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:14 pm

We had a vinyl shed once that we used for storage and it got so hot in the Summer it was unbearable, I certainly would not want to keep a rabbit/rabbit's in one as there is a great lack of ventilation unless they have opening windows and I still would not keep a rabbit in one. Great for storage.

Last edited by Tuckerbunnies on Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 am

Never seen those before, but I wouldn't get one.
THe plastic would be burning hot in the sun, not good for the buns.
Plastic tends to get filthy and all damaged after a while too.
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down